Who is into classic (tube) ham gear?

Radioguy41

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 7, 2008
Lehighton, PA
Anybody else using classic old vacuum tube hardware? Currently I'm DX'ing with a Hallicrafters S-20R, which I restored, a Hallicrafters S-40A, also restored electronically by me, and a Hammarlund S-140-X. I also have a National SW-54 I restored.

The Hammarlund is a recent acquisition and it's as nice an original as you could find. I'm using an external 75' longwire antenna and have the receiver connected to a Hallicrafters S-46 external speaker (not shown).

hq140x-8.jpg

pencil.png

I have a large collection of vacuum tube audio and test gear, among them is an apache ham set it is a hugh green thing, most are for sale. I went to many hamfests and had friends who were operators but I am an audio guy. ron

I've been having some fun DX'ing with these rigs. I copied Papua, New Guinea several weeks ago and recently received a nice QSL card from Radio Ukraine. Radio China's been bouncing in real nice lately as well. I'm going for my ticket this summer so I'll be hitting all the Hamfests looking for a decent, inexpensive, transmitter come Spring.

The Apache was made by Heathkit and as I recall is a transmitter very nice for AM. They don't make them like that anymore.
Bob
N1WBD

I'll probably "have-to" get some old classic gear eventually. Have license, have not bought radio, and the "locals" are expecting me to come up with a unique 'sound' since I run the local AM/FM. Hmmmmmmmmm portability and unique sound......I don't think the two go together well.....Home rig? Oh yeah! Old gear=great sound.

I'll probably "have-to" get some old classic gear eventually. Have license, have not bought radio, and the "locals" are expecting me to come up with a unique 'sound' since I run the local AM/FM. Hmmmmmmmmm portability and unique sound......I don't think the two go together well.....Home rig? Oh yeah! Old gear=great sound.

What is your new call radio?? Congratulations again on getting yout ticket.

Congratulations Radio!!!!

Gardenman2002 here, known as kg9rb. again congrats!!. I started out as a novice in 1977 and was using a johnson viking
tube transmitter which was controlled by one of six crystals i owned at the time. I used a hallicrafters s-38b for receiver and both coupled with a relay and a 110 light switch.normally off to receive and on to close contacts on relay to get transmitting.I have restored a few hammerlunds and they are still good for swl dxing. used a heathkit dx -60? the big square boat anchor to operate with and later, i used a halicrafters ssb gear that i traded a tempo s1 for!!! you cant do that today. Now im into qrp and have built many low power tube transmitters and receivers. the audio is unbelievable with properly tuned and operating tube gear. Anyway conrats!!!!!!!! 73s

I have a pair of 4-1000A Class C modulated by a pair of 833A's The rig weighs close to a thousand pounds. :)

Want a linear? I have a 3-1000Z linear driven by a pair of 6DQ5's in upside down configuration for supermodulated AM and DSB. It is modulated by a pair of 810's for a 1000 watt modulator using a Gates broadcast mod transformer.

At today's electric prices they will probably cost you $3 a minute to run. :(

That's what's left of my tube gear.

I'd hate to try to have to move it!! Sounds like I better have a hernia truss. :D

I have a pair of 4-1000A Class C modulated by a pair of 833A's The rig weighs close to a thousand pounds. :)

Want a linear? I have a 3-1000Z linear driven by a pair of 6DQ5's in upside down configuration for supermodulated AM and DSB. It is modulated by a pair of 810's for a 1000 watt modulator using a Gates broadcast mod transformer.

At today's electric prices they will probably cost you $3 a minute to run. :(

That's what's left of my tube gear.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts