Who is making the jump to iOS 9?

Whoops 8.4 comes out tomorrow. Since I am a developer I have it already.

To go back was very simple. I downloaded the 8.4 beta from the developer site, pressed alt then check for software update. Told it where the software was on my laptop and then it installed it.

Apple Music suppose to start tomorrow with 8.4.
I may or may not be excited about it. 3 months free is a good thing but beyond that I doubt I'll be paying extra a month.

Reactions: TheForce
Thanks, Scott. I was just curious, still trying to learn iOS here.

I'm not interested in music either. Never got into the ipod thing and don't want one more subscription service. I do audio books on the iphone but don't have any music except for some free stuff that got loaded somehow. I do think it is a good thing Apple will offer it as a revenue stream for the company. The more the better.

Yeah, I paid up-front for 64 GB of space on my iPhone so I'd have room for my media. Streaming assumes connectivity which is an issue in the Midwest.

Streaming also assumes a bigger phone bill. On my last trip, I got caught needing another 4GB upgrade. Sure hope the Verizon cost gets more reasonable. I did the 128GB iphone 6+ and don't regret it.

Made the mistake of accepting the Apple Music service in iOS 8.4. Stupid thing wanted to replace all of my iTunes Match music with DRM versions. I think the software did not have to make iTunes Match go away. I turned it off, and told the free trial to expire when it runs out.

Turned my auto subscribe off also. I am taking advantage and syncing several songs to my apple watch.

From the Apple investors world, most do not see Apple Music to be a financial game changer. The itunes music download offering has been stagnating and falling off in recent years getting beat by competitive streaming services. Apple figured this was a way to stabilize the declining music business and stop the bleeding to the competitive streaming services by doing their own. If it wouldn't be for the tax bite, Apple probably would have just bought out it's streaming competitors. It certainly has the cash to do that.

Thanks for the tip on auto subscribe, I'll pass it along to my family.

I realized Apple Music doesn't make my itunes match go away, but the content was hidden by an obscure menu (in Music, under My music, where it says Artist, if you tap the word, it brings up a menu, one of which is show music not on this device (i had that off via normal settings from iOS 8.3 when I was traveling. Why did that setting have to get buried? Bad design Apple.

Reactions: stimpson
After my 8.4 experience, I'm not messing with any betas for the immediate future. Still have much missing music.

I found a big "gotcha" with iOS 8.4: I updated my Macs to 10.10.4 as well as updating my iPhone to 8.4 so I figured I'm good to go on vacation... Hah! I noticed that my iMessage app was no longer able to send SMS texts to my non-Apple owning Family and Friends. Turns out you need to go into the Messages Settings on your iOS device and on each and every Apple device you want to link together, go through a Pairing procedure to authorize this device with your iMessage account. Unfortunately, any messages that you may have sent or received during this time appears to be lost from the stream.

I found a big "gotcha" with iOS 8.4: I updated my Macs to 10.10.4 as well as updating my iPhone to 8.4 so I figured I'm good to go on vacation... Hah! I noticed that my iMessage app was no longer able to send SMS texts to my non-Apple owning Family and Friends. Turns out you need to go into the Messages Settings on your iOS device and on each and every Apple device you want to link together, go through a Pairing procedure to authorize this device with your iMessage account. Unfortunately, any messages that you may have sent or received during this time appears to be lost from the stream.

I am not having that problem. I texted a friend on Android the other day from my mac.

I went in on my iPhone 6's Messages settings panel and had to activate them one by one. My Wife's iPhone 5s had the same issue between it and her iPad Air.

Maybe it was related to our trip into T-Mobile Cellular Data Hell? Anyway, it all seems good now.

I did beta 1 of iOS 9 but went back to 8.4 and haven't upgraded again. Apple has been getting really sloppy lately with their software.

Apple has been getting really sloppy lately with their software.

I never cared for the public betas and don't participate in them anymore. I've been a team member in many private betas and the environment is so different. You actually feel like you are a part of the development team, an employee independent contractor for the company. The best program I did was with Autodesk. The company even flew me to California during the program for a team meeting, but that was before the internet and Gotomeeting was invented. No tester was ever permitted to talk about what they were doing. You had to sign strict NDA. All the public betas I have seen the beta testers are more like product reviewers and not real development team players. I like developing stuff and solving problems. Others prefer to be first to play and report their discoveries. Both are important roles. But the public needs to recognize the reports from public testers are never representative of a future retail released product. But the one advantage a public beta has is it exposes the product to a wide variety of users who will try to use it like a finished product. This can uncover many flaws often missed in a tightly controlled beta team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)