Who is the Best Commissioner?

Lets see what channel the NHL is on today? Vs.? That's a household name, isn't it?:rolleyes: Hockey has all but disappeared from the landscape under Bettman's tenure, while the other three sports are bigger than ever. I trying hard to think of something positive to say about this guy, but I can't come up with anything. Don't even get me started about the increasing "pu**ying up" of the league, involving checking rules, OT, etc... not to mention the inconsistentcy of penalty calling. As for drugs, maybe he's doing a better job of keeping any problems "swept under the rug"?

The worst IMO has to be Selig by a mile.

1) Players Union Strike in 1994
2) World Series Cancellation in 1994
3) Steroid-Gate
4) Contraction of Teams, Expansion in questionable markets
5) Ended 2002 All-Star Game prematurely after 11 innings
6) The implementation of home field advantage in World Series determined by All-Star winner, starting in 2003.
7) No firm decision on what to do with Pete Rose

1) Not all Selig's fault, but I agree
2) See #1
3) Blame the player's union for that one. If Jose Canseco had never written that book, we'd still have steroid ball. His book made congress take notice. Without it we'd have no 'I choose to not talk about the past', no Rafael Palmeiro embarassing himself, McGwire in the hall of fame, Roger Clemens still throwing in the upper 90's for the Yankees, lots of 60-homer a season guys, etc.
4) No other commissioner have done that?
5) Meh, not sure what alternative he had
6) I think that's a good thing
7) Selig has my support on this one...let him twist

Sandra

1) Not all Selig's fault, but I agree
2) See #1
3) Blame the player's union for that one. If Jose Canseco had never written that book, we'd still have steroid ball. His book made congress take notice. Without it we'd have no 'I choose to not talk about the past', no Rafael Palmeiro embarassing himself, McGwire in the hall of fame, Roger Clemens still throwing in the upper 90's for the Yankees, lots of 60-homer a season guys, etc.
4) No other commissioner have done that?
5) Meh, not sure what alternative he had
6) I think that's a good thing

Sandra

The guy has been "Twisting" for what 20 years now ?

How long would YOU like to Twist ?

I cant stand Selig. I agree with the earlier posts. Just like Bush, he may not have individually done the items but it was under his watch and leadership. What get paid millions and have no accountability. Thats whats wrong in this society. I just cant even look at him. He looks like a weasily wormy slimeball. Not trying to throw names around but he just gives me the creaps. And I find his stance to better the money of the owners to outweigh that of the game. Steroids era..... Thanks for paying attention.

I would be willing to be that when Selig retires that Bush will be the next commissioner.

The guy has been "Twisting" for what 20 years now ?

How long would YOU like to Twist ?

I didn't tarnish major league baseball, then lie about it for years and years, and then admit to the lying only so I could make money admitting to the lying.

Sandra

Here's my analysis, FWIW:

Bettman: Presiding over a sport that's gone down in popularity, done nothing to arrest this, much less reversed the trend. In cities without NHL teams, his league gets a pass. Des Moines even has an AHL team and it's hit or miss whether the paper prints the full NHL standings and schedule every day, much less the box scores. Grade: F

Selig: I won't repeat all the criticisms stated earlier -- they're all spot-on. Baseball continues to decline in popularity, as evidenced by the constant fall-off in World Series ratings, and in participation by the demographic group absolutely needed for a spectator sport to grow: the working class. (Contrast this with the appeal of baseball to working-class immigrants during the Twenties and Thirties.) He is under the complete control of the owners and is riding the wave of a national pastime in name only. Grade: F.

Stern: Despite recent franchise shifts and the decline of star players, the NBA is mining new sources of talent from overseas and combating the image of the "gangsta league" by bringing in white Europeans and Latin Americans. He also is growing the league overseas and I am certain we will see a World Division of the NBA or some such within the next 10 years. His major challenge now is trying to keep the league viable in the face of skyrocketing ticket prices and maintaining its appeal to the core audience -- African American kids and youg adults -- without alienating the demographic that pays most of the ticket money -- 25-49 whites. Grade: B

Gooddell: While he is sailing along largely on the groundwork laid by Pete Rozelle, it says something that the image of the sport continues to remain positive despite the increasingly thuggish image of many of its players; continues to rake in the bucks, as evidenced by healthy PPV revenue and skyrocketing "private seat license" fees; and he is growing the sport overseas as well, as evidenced by a sold-out Wembley last weekend. This is gold. Grade: A.

France: NASCAR has plateaued, and may have reached its limit. It desperately needs to expand its appeal to major metro areas to make the "top 3" sports a "top 4." The sport won't be able to do that without remaking its image, so its expansion possibilities may lie across the oceans, where it has a good chance to compete with Formula I racing. It also needs to restruture its schedule so its premier event, the Daytona 500, climaxes the schedule instead of starting it. And a healthier presence on network TV couldn't hurt. Grade: B-

I would be willing to be that when Selig retires that Bush will be the next commissioner.

Well MLB will be broke, every rule will be changed to favor him, viewership of MLB will be an all time low, all the teams will be moved to Mexico or Canada and all ticket sales will be outsourced to India.

I'm going to start this one with a nuclear bomb:

ALL SPORTS have seen their TV ratings decline over the past decade. So to complain about the visibility of sports is a little redundant when it is overkill. From Ira Lacher:
Bettman: Presiding over a sport that's gone down in popularity, done nothing to arrest this, much less reversed the trend. In cities without NHL teams, his league gets a pass. Des Moines even has an AHL team and it's hit or miss whether the paper prints the full NHL standings and schedule every day, much less the box scores. Grade: F
It is immaterial that a paper in a city does not print standings and schedules of a league where they have no standing.

Gone down in popularity? Only gone down in TV ratings, while the financial health of the league is stronger than it has ever been.

Bettman has handled his tenure well. Two strikes (including one that blew away a whole season and playoffs) and a breaking of the players union to get the league's financial health in order? When Bettman started, there were four markets below I-70, one of which was a recent expansion team (Washington, St. Louis, Los Angeles and Tampa Bay). Now the NHL is the lead dog on a sports network where they would have been relegated to sixth sport status on the Entertainment and Sports Programming Network.

The people in Canada will never forgive him for changing the "uniqueness" of the sport, by removing tradition. Those are the same people that complained when the two-line pass was no longer an infraction. Of course, that rule was instituted by the NHL in the 1950's to stop Montreal from winning Cup after Cup, so it appears the "traditionalists" are simply whining (I'll be happy to give them some cheese).
Stern: Despite recent franchise shifts and the decline of star players, the NBA is mining new sources of talent from overseas and combating the image of the "gangsta league" by bringing in white Europeans and Latin Americans. He also is growing the league overseas and I am certain we will see a World Division of the NBA or some such within the next 10 years. His major challenge now is trying to keep the league viable in the face of skyrocketing ticket prices and maintaining its appeal to the core audience -- African American kids and youg adults -- without alienating the demographic that pays most of the ticket money -- 25-49 whites. Grade: B
Oh, if one believes the NHL has gone downhill, one must take a look at the NBA and their plunging-like-the-stock-market ratings since signing with ESPN/ABC. Now it appears we will see both a Midwest and a Midwest-podunk division in the NBA. I'm waiting for Stern to grant Grand Island, NE a team.

The NBA has been mining worldwide talent for years. It is a matter of time for a team to field a bunch of eastern Europeans, like some NHL teams.
Ira Lacher said:
Gooddell: While he is sailing along largely on the groundwork laid by Pete Rozelle, it says something that the image of the sport continues to remain positive despite the increasingly thuggish image of many of its players; continues to rake in the bucks, as evidenced by healthy PPV revenue and skyrocketing "private seat license" fees; and he is growing the sport overseas as well, as evidenced by a sold-out Wembley last weekend. This is gold. Grade: A.
Sorry to tell you that most of that was done under Tagliabue, who gets ZERO credit for running the NFL. The jury is still out on Goodell. Since he appears to be trying to push the NFL and NFLPA to an 18-game schedule, this will be the first of the accomplishments I will reserve judgment upon. If successful after voiding the current NFLPA agreement, then I will put him above everyone.

No sense in mentioning Selig. France, well, if the Daytona 500 is pushed to the end of the schedule, NASCAR is toast.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)