World Series in a neutral site

Should the World Series be played at a warm neutral site?

• Total voters

cybok0

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
Sha Ka Ree.
How many people think the World Series should be played at a warm neutral site, or a city with a dome, like the SuperBowl?

With the World Series being played later every year, now it might go into November.:eek:

I feel it should, players from both teams could of got hurt during that rain storm, and the weather is only going to get worse.

How about shortening the season back to 154 games, playing a few double headers, and actually starting the playoffs in September? Yeah, I know it will never happen, but when my Tigers get back to the WS, I want to be there. Move it to a neutral site and it becomes just another "plaything" for the rich and famous. Baseball and the WS belongs to the fans that supported their team all season. I'll never watch again if they do this.

How about shortening the season back to 154 games, playing a few double headers, and actually starting the playoffs in September? Yeah, I know it will never happen, but when my Tigers get back to the WS, I want to be there. Move it to a neutral site and it becomes just another "plaything" for the rich and famous. Baseball and the WS belongs to the fans that supported their team all season. I'll never watch again if they do this.

+1000 :up (except replace the Tigers with the Reds!!!)...;)

I'll have to agree with Paul on this one. This is what makes the MLB and NBA so significant to the hometown fans.

And I also agree that the season can and should be shortened. Up here in the northern hemisphere, the weather can change rather quickly once October hits. After the middle of October, you can almost guarantee 30-40°F night time weather with the possibility of freezing rain and snow.

I also agree that the season can and should be shortened. Up here in the northern hemisphere, the weather can change rather quickly once October hits. After the middle of October, you can almost guarantee 30-40°F weather, freezing rain and snow.

IIRC, your Indians played in a bad-weather World Series game:

marlins-indians.jpg

Boy people go bonkers when for the first time in history a World Series game is suspended mid-game due to weather.

First FYI, playing in warm weather cities doesn't guarantee good weather, in fact if Tampa didn't play in a dome, Game 1 would have been delayed due to rain. Heck even here in Honolulu on Sunday it was a rare rainy "cool" day.

Overall nationally, temperatures are warmer and less likely for rain in late October/early November than in early-mid April.

MLB is unique in that even in the World Series, most of the fans in the stadium are "regular" fans, ie. season ticket holders. In the NBA, by the time you get to the NBA finals more of the "regular" fans have been displaced by NBA corporate partners and the local "hipster" crowd.

Dallas is a warmer weather city, and even this week we got down to below freezing for a low.

AWESOME!! I will go one better...down to 148!! TOO many weather issues BEFORE May 1st and AFTER October 15th! Have the season start May 1st and end by the 2nd to the last weekend in September....and ALL playoffs with be done by mid to late October. Have ALL rosters start at a 30 man roster and go to 40 like normal in the September call-ups. Less games, bigger roster less injuries and more STAR players playing more games!! But there is NO WAY owners would give up 6-12 possible money making dates just because it is too close to playing in Thanksgiving.

With all the hootin' and hollerin' about eliminating doubleheaders because it would kill gate revenues -- what about charging more for doubleheader dates? If you charged one and a half times the single-game price of tickets, you'd raise attendance -- you'd be getting two games for LESS than the price of two admissions -- and you'd easily make back at concessions what you lost in ticket sales.

ABSOLUTELY NOT! If I am spending so much time following my Angels here in SoCal why on earth would I want to go for a WEEK to Houston or Tampa or Milwaukee or Seattle to celebrate my team???? One day events like the Super Bowl are fine. But a week? No way. (Remember the Super Bowl was played in a wet weather in sunny, warm Miami 2 years ago?)

All the Series need is some time-tweaking and go back to the orginal start days of the week and we'll be fine. Will it happen? Hell no. But that's all it needs IMHO.

Here in the Northeast, I actually think the bigger problem is when the season starts.

The Red Sox have been fortunate enough to play October baseball five of the last six years, but generally speaking, the brisk October nights aren't nearly as bad as most early April afternoons.

Here in the Northeast, I actually think the bigger problem is when the season starts.

The Red Sox have been fortunate enough to play October baseball five of the last six years, but generally speaking, the brisk October nights aren't nearly as bad as most early April afternoons.

Just wait till all those Minnesota fans who have been begging for outdoor baseball get their wish and have that new open air ballpark. Can you say freeze your ass in June?????:p

I voted "no". Also rules should not be made up on the fly for it either. The same set of rules used in the regular season must be applied identically else it becomes a joke.

I voted "no". Also rules should not be made up on the fly for it either. The same set of rules used in the regular season must be applied identically else it becomes a joke.

I voted yes and I disagree about you statement on the Rules. I think for the post season, you HAVE to finish the game. I think is absolutely unfair that you have busted you ass off all year to make the playoffs and World Series to be rained/snowed shorten because of the "typical fall weather" in the north.

With all the hootin' and hollerin' about eliminating doubleheaders because it would kill gate revenues -- what about charging more for doubleheader dates? If you charged one and a half times the single-game price of tickets, you'd raise attendance -- you'd be getting two games for LESS than the price of two admissions -- and you'd easily make back at concessions what you lost in ticket sales.

They already have done Day / Night DH's which to me is NOT a DH, it's simply 2 games in one day, they ticket holder only sees ONE game, unless he 's got tickets for both.

Commissioner Selig cited rule 4.12(a)(6) in explaining the suspension of Game 5. According to the rule, enacted for the 2007 season, any official game halted with the score tied "shall become a suspended game that must be completed at a future date."
What if the Rays didn't score in the 6th to tie the game? Would they have kept playing under those conditions, and for how long??

I voted no only because I don't think it is fair for the fan to have a neutral field World Series. I also don't fee that they would be able to support 7 games in a neutral field from a fan perspective. Football can do it because it is only one game but any sport with a 7 game series would have a difficult time.

Did you guy's see that Vegas determined the Phillies to be the winner, because they do not allow the rules to be changed in the middle of the game.

They will pay out because a rainout goes back to the last complete ininng which the Phillies were leading. It's a rainout, game over.
Now, Tampa can actually win the game tonight and possibly the WS but Vegas has show Philly as the winner, they could have TWO winners to this years WS when it's all said and done.
Vegas would love top pay out twice for 1 series.

Jimbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts