Who is the best pitcher to NEVER win the Cy Young award?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I am gonna say fellow country Javier Vazquez is one. In 2009 he had almost identical record as Lincecom, the Cy Young award winner that its almost sad. 15-10 to 15-7... 2.87 to 2.38 in ERA...238 to 261 Ks.

1991, my second favorite pitcher of all time, Jose Rijo, he went 15-6 with 5 less loses, a better ERA than Cy Young winner Tommy Glavine.

1974, Luis Tiant went 22-13 with a 2.92 ERA and lost to Catfish Hunter who went 25-12 with a 2.32 ERA...

Those are the ones I remember the most. I had to go back and do a search to remember the stats...

The irony in the three I mentioned was that they ALL came in 4th place...and all from the islands. A Puerto Rican, Dominican and a Cuban.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I am gonna say fellow country Javier Vazquez is one. In 2009 he had almost identical record as Lincecom, the Cy Young award winner that its almost sad. 15-10 to 15-7... 2.87 to 2.38 in ERA...238 to 261 Ks.

1991, my second favorite pitcher of all time, Jose Rijo, he went 15-6 with 5 less loses, a better ERA than Cy Young winner Tommy Glavine.

1974, Luis Tiant went 22-13 with a 2.92 ERA and lost to Catfish Hunter who went 25-12 with a 2.32 ERA...

Those are the ones I remember the most. I had to go back and do a search to remember the stats...

The irony in the three I mentioned was that they ALL came in 4th place...and all from the islands. A Puerto Rican, Dominican and a Cuban.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Reds pitchers in general don't get any respect. I think Cueto should have won 2 years ago. Danny Jackson should have won in 1988 over Orel, only reason he won was that long shutout streak, because all his other numbers weren't as good as Jackson's.

Last edited:
Reds pitchers in general don't get any respect. I think Cueto should have won 2 years ago. Danny Jackson should have won in 1988 over Orel, only reason he won was that long shutout streak, because all his other numbers weren't as good as Jackson's.

Damn.... I FORGOT about the year Danny Jackson had... 23-8 with 15 CG and a 2.75 ERA.

Last edited by a moderator:
The question asked did include eligibility as a qualifier. Therefore, the only logical, and correct answer, is Cy Young, who is the best pitcher never to win a Cy Young Award. :)
Repeating the same answer multiple times does not make it a good answer.

It's simply common sense to not to need to include eligibility as a qualifier in a question like this. :eureka

Nolan Ryan is for me. He leads the world in strike outs and no-hitters. And with over 300 wins it's just amazing he didn't win it.

I put Ryan and Yastrzemski in the same category. They were both really good, but their longevity is what made them great. If they played a normal length career, they may not have made the HOF.

I know it's heresey for a former Bostonian to say this, but I don't consider Yastrzemski to have been a great player. He had two statistically exceptional years, 1967 and 1970, and a handful of pretty good ones, and was only an above average outfielder fielder. Back in those days, once a good offensive player won a Gold Glove, it became his in subsequent years until someone ripped it off his hand. Without satellite TV and VCRs, people who voted for Gold Gloves could go a whole season without ever seeing some outfielders handle even one tough chance. And keeping Yaz was a facgtor in deciding to deal to deal away Cecil Cooper, Juan Benequez and Ben Ogilvey.

Like I mentioned, I do consider Yaz great, but only because he played so long.

Somewhat, although I think Ripken was a pioneer as a short stop. He was the first big man to play it as well as he did and be the offensive player that he was.

If we are going to start penalizing players because they can play for a long time then what about Hank Aaron, Barry Bonds, Pete Rose, Satchel Paige???

I'm not penalizing anyone. I'm just saying that some in the HOF didn't get there by being the best in their era since they spanned eras! Look at Yaz's stats. If he only played for 15 years, would you have voted him in?

I'm not penalizing anyone. I'm just saying that some in the HOF didn't get there by being the best in their era since they spanned eras! Look at Yaz's stats. If he only played for 15 years, would you have voted him in?

There are a lot of players though that if they only played 15 years they wouldn't get in.

Of course there are. I'm just saying that Yaz and Ryan are two of them.

ambiguous no qualifiers...played 2 or more years etc
Who is the best pitcher to NEVER win the Cy Young award?

Sam McDowell 1965 1970
Luis Tiant 1968 and others
Mickey Lolich 1971
Tommy John once

If we are going to start penalizing players because they can play for a long time then what about Hank Aaron, Barry Bonds, Pete Rose, Satchel Paige???

There are a lot of players though that if they only played 15 years they wouldn't get in.

So, are you guy going by Numbers only, unfotunatly like most of the world does these days, or by what he did for the game as well ?
This goes for both threads.

Pete Rose didnt have a lot of the current numbers as they keep making new numbers up every year to support thier favorite player.

Pete Rose belongs in the Hall on his numbers alone, along with the energy he played with. Period.

So, are you guy going by Numbers only, unfotunatly like most of the world does these days, or by what he did for the game as well ?
This goes for both threads.

Pete Rose didnt have a lot of the current numbers as they keep making new numbers up every year to support thier favorite player.

Pete Rose belongs in the Hall on his numbers alone, along with the energy he played with. Period.

I agree. I was just saying that under raoul's rules if Pete only played 15 years he may not get in either.....yeah I know he isn't eligible at all but hypothetically.

I agree. I was just saying that under raoul's rules if Pete only played 15 years he may not get in either.....yeah I know he isn't eligible at all but hypothetically.

Who is Raoul? ;)
Anyway, if Rose only played 15 years, on average he would have had almost 3000 hits. That would get him in the HOF. All I am saying is that some players greatness wasn't in dominating the sport for their career, but being able to play at a high level for a long time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts