Who is the best player to NEVER win the MVP award?

Ramy

The Star Wars Collector Podcast
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 27, 2004
Here
To keep up this trend I thought I would who is the best player to NEVER win a MVP award.

Mel Ott would have to get that distinction for me. Had over 500 HR's in his career and to never win one must have been tough.

Offhand, lot's of good choices...literally. Quick question: should we nominate a player based on a particular year and their career accomplishment? For example, in 1961 Detroit's Norm Cash hit .361 and had 41 HRs and 132 RBIs, yet finished well behind MVP Roger Maris whose claim to fame was hitting 61 HRs. Of course, Cash never came anywhere close to batting those kinds of numbers the remainder of his career. For career accomplishments, Mel Ott is a great candidate who probably had a dozen great years in which he was MVP material.

No criteria other than they must have played during the MVP available years.

Tony Perez. The only one of the true Big Red Machine hitting beasts that never won an MVP Award (Rose, Bench twice, Morgan twice, George Foster).

Tony Perez. The only one of the true Big Red Machine hitting beasts that never won an MVP Award (Rose, Bench twice, Morgan twice, George Foster).
He never really had the individual season numbers to deserve the MVP. The year that he was closest (1970) he was beaten out by a teammate who had a better year....

Actually he finished a distant third that year behind Bench and Billy Williams who both had great years.

How about a current player who is slowly becoming one of the best 3rd basemen in history, and if he retired now, could be a potential hall of famer, Adrian Beltre?

How about a current player who is slowly becoming one of the best 3rd basemen in history, and if he retired now, could be a potential hall of famer, Adrian Beltre?

I don't think he's HOF material yet, but if he can play another 3-4 years he may well be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts