Who is the best player to NEVER win the MVP award?

How about a current player who is slowly becoming one of the best 3rd basemen in history, and if he retired now, could be a potential hall of famer, Adrian Beltre?

I don't think he's HOF material yet, but if he can play another 3-4 years he may well be.

He'll need more than another three or four years. He had the one big steroids year in 2004, and recently has had three very nice years, but he isn't having a Hall-of-Fame caliber year this year and he isn't getting any younger. And of course, the steroids year makes him Kryptonite to the Hall-of-Fame voters.

I admittedly am against anyone who gets given a big, multi-year contract. So far, Beltre has earned the first two years of his six year contract, but he still has nearly 2/3s of the contract to go. I root against Pujols for the same reason. And A-roid. And as well as Beltre has played for two full seasons in Texas, I still feel the Red Sox did the right thing in letting him move on because they get to use that $13 million a year to meet other needs while moving minor league infielders (like Middlebrook) through the pipeline.

Last edited:
You're probably right, more like 5, maybe 6 more years. He has 356 home runs now. To get to 500 would take that long.

You need to look at Beltre compared to others at his position.

He is in the top 10 of all time in HRs.

He has more HRs than other hall of fame 3rd basemen, such as Mathews, Robinson, Santo, and many others.

Higher career batting average than most HOF 3rd basemen.

His defense is among the best.

RBIs are ranked among the most of all time for 3rd basemen.

Why would he not be considered a Hall of Famer?

Sent from my Jailbroken iPhone 5 using SatelliteGuys

Why is Beltre always looking for another team to, play for if he's this great ?

He never stays past his initial contract and is always on the market when the current one is over.

He's a very good player, is it his attitude ?

I don't follow him enough to know, just know he's been productive when I've seen him.

He has more HRs than other hall of fame 3rd basemen, such as Mathews, Robinson, Santo, and many others.

Why would he not be considered a Hall of Famer?...

???? Eddie Mathews had over 500 home runs back when only five guys had ever hit 500 home runs. Brooks Robinson won sixteen gold gloves, an MVP and also finished second twice, third once and fourth once in MVP voting, a World Series MVP, made the play on Tony Perez and played in the same city for over two decades. If you're going to compare someone to Santo, thats like saying that there are 20 pitchers who have better records than Don Drysdale. Santo was inducted by the Old Timer's committee, largely out of respect for him as a lifelong baseball man.

Last edited:

Why would he not be considered a Hall of Famer?

Sent from my Jailbroken iPhone 5 using SatelliteGuys
I don't know why I typed Mathews. Probably because I was looking a list of the top at the time and his name was stuck in my head. I meant to type Bret.

???? Eddie Mathews had over 500 home runs back when only five guys had ever hit 500 home runs. Brooks Robinson won sixteen gold gloves, an MVP and also finished second twice, third once and fourth once in MVP voting, a World Series MVP, made the play on Tony Perez and played in the same city for over two decades. If you're going to compare someone to Santo, thats like saying that there are 20 pitchers who have better records than Don Drysdale. Santo was inducted by the Old Timer's committee, largely out of respect for him as a lifelong baseball man.
I meant Bret, not Mathews. But my point still stands. When you look at his career stats he is among the top 3rd basemen of all times. Few at his position combine power, average, and defense. He is among the best at each one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts