Portland, Oregon
Just for fun, what do you guys think?

1) D*
2) E*
3) Bill Gates (Microsoft)
4) Mark Cuban
5) Donald Trump :D
6) SatGuys :eek:

I think we should.. let's have a bake sale.

We can do like that old commercial in the 70's or 80's. We'll have vurbano and DarrellP dressed up like half naked indians. They will wander around a dumped and burnt up retail store showing ugly PQ HD programming. Then the camera will zoom in on their faces as a small tear wells up and falls down their faces.

"Help save HDTV" we put a donation number on the screen.

How about a cable biggie, or a tele-com giant.
I stole this idea from a thread going on right now about market share.
Boy, Telephone, satellite, INTERNET, cable HD, what more could be thrown in the mix.

Bill Gates! There's a reason Voom is moving to WM9. I'm sure good ol Bill could give you a hole house solution. Plus he has move money than God himself.

devildogg said:
Bill Gates! There's a reason Voom is moving to WM9. I'm sure good ol Bill could give you a hole house solution. Plus he has move money than God himself.
Then MS would get another anti-trust case for attempting to take over the HDTV business :D

Dish Network....they would gain the most from buying VOOM out.

Dish Network could buy Voom, but they definitely wont continue their business. The only things that they would want out of it is the satellite and transponders. They will use the transponders for more LIL launches and shuffling and that could give them more room to launch the east coast feeds of the HD dist ants, if SHIVRA ever gets passed.

As for Voom's 30,000 customers they would have some kinda of switch offer available, but they certainly aren't going to convert them all. It will be up to the customer.

Seawaves said:
Sears should buy Voom, after all they do a great job of selling the Voom sub.
What about D*? With their current bitrates of 7 mbps they should be able to use Rainbow 1 to fit the planned 1500 HD channels instead of putting 4 new birds in space :p

I Don't Think The US Gov. Would Let D*or E* Buy Voom (They Would'nt Let E* Buy D* Remember).
I Think Mark Cuban is The Only Logical Buyer.
Cubans Ego Alone Would Make Sure Voom is Number 1 In HD & HD Subs.

wbuffetta said:
I Think Mark Cuban is The Only Logical Buyer.
Cubans Ego Alone Would Make Sure Voom is Number 1 In HD & HD Subs.
Good idea. Can you imagine the changes?

Cinema 10 ==> HDMovies10
Rave HD ==> HDNet Concert Series
UltraHD ==> Bikini Destination HD (vurbano would love this one) :D

The government would not step in if one were to buy Voom. They have .002 percent of the subs of both of them combined...yes I made up that number but there is no monopolistic problems there.

(Actually, 28,700 VOOM subscribers vs. 24+ million for E* and D* = 0.0011958%)
Whoever were to buy VOOM would most likely keep the (profitable) cable channels: AMC, IFC, Women's Entertainment and Consolidated Regional Sports.
Whether they kept the satellite capability or sold it would be up to them.
Whether they consolidated any of the programming or just dumped it would be a matter of if it was worth it to them to add a few thousand subscribers.
In most cases, by the way, cable systems sell at a multiple per subscriber. Recently that number has been about $5,000 per sub.
In that case, Voom's HD subscribers (alone) are worth about $139 million.
Considering SAC (Subscriber Acquisition Cost) for both E* and D* is now just a little more than $600 per sub, that seems pretty expensive.

Can either D* or E* accomadate the 61.5 degree orbital slot into their existing customers' setups? Or would they have to go to a new dish, or a seperate dish like E* does for its satellite a that slot? I don't know exactly what setups are out there for people, so forgive my ignorance.

squicken said:
Can either D* or E* accomadate the 61.5 degree orbital slot into their existing customers' setups? Or would they have to go to a new dish, or a seperate dish like E* does for its satellite a that slot? I don't know exactly what setups are out there for people, so forgive my ignorance.
All the Dish receivers are already programmed for the 61.5 slot so it would only require a dish pointing at it, so there goes the single dish solution.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)