Who will make it to the HALL of FAME this year?

Who will be selecte to the HALL of FAME?

• Mark McGwire

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Tony Gwynn

Votes: 32 76.2%
  • Cal Ripken Jr

Votes: 36 85.7%
  • Jose Canseco

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Bret Saberhagen

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Ken Caminiti

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Harold Baines

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Jim Rice

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Rich Gossage

Votes: 11 26.2%

• Total voters

dantheman77

Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 18, 2005
st. louis mo
Yeah and it's not fair. Barry Larkin was in my opinion was just as good as Ozzie Smith defensivily and there was no comparision when it came to hitting.

Look at Larkin's numbers compared to Ozzie's. (Larkin on top, Ozzie on bottom)

G AB R H 2b 3b HR RBI SB BB SO BA OBP SLG
2180 7937 1329 2340 441 76 198 960 379 939 817 .295 .371 .444

2573 9396 1257 2460 402 69 28 793 580 1072 589 .262 .337 .328

your kidding, right???about the defense?

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
your kidding, right???about the defense?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by ramy View Post
Yeah and it's not fair. Barry Larkin was in my opinion was just as good as Ozzie Smith defensivily and there was no comparision when it came to hitting.

dantheman,
NOPE, I agree with Ramy ...
Ozzie was very good, but there were others that were as good but did not need to be flashy to get the job done.
Barry was as good defensivly and obviously better offensively.

Others that get over looked for the hall (SS)
How about Alan Trammel ?
20+ years of solid Defense and better than Ozzie offensivly, but he gets ignored because the HOF voters seem to think that only one person from an era can get in, at thier position.
Tram got dissed because he played in the almighty Cal Ripken's shadow,
Why Cal ? Cal played 7,000 games in a row and decided SS should hit Home Runs, before Cal, SS did not have to hit HR's so everyone after Cal that doesn't hit HR's gets dissed, provided they are HOF capable.

Lou Whitaker, same as Trammel, solid D, better O than Ozzie.

Jack Morris should have been in 10 years ago

Jimbo

Ramy

The Star Wars Collector Podcast
Supporting Founder
Jan 27, 2004
Here
I think people give Smith too much credit because he loved to dive for balls. Larkin could get to the same ball without diving and make the throw. Also Larkin has the best steal percentage of ANY ONE in MLB history.

dantheman77

Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 18, 2005
st. louis mo
wow!! ozzie was a human highlight real, no doubt ozzie did not have the bat of larkin but he did improve over his career. from a nothing at the plate to a decent batter and great power when he needed it(go crazy folks! lol) i think the ozzie having to dive where others could get it on there feet is ,no offense ,but sounds like something a person with a full frontal lobotomy would say...JUST KIDDING!! LOl what are you saying, that ozzie had no range??

Last edited:

TheTimm

Made In Detroit
Supporting Founder
Jun 18, 2004
Charlotte, NC
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
but he gets ignored because the HOF voters seem to think that only one person from an era can get in, at thier position.
Ripken('81-'01)and Ozzie('78-'96) are pretty much from the same era. And hell, Yount('74-'93) was at short for the first ten or eleven years of his career, and he's in there too.

Honus Wagner (although he played a lot of other positions apparently) and Bobby Wallace are from the same era. As is Joe Tinker. All in the Hall.

Pee Wee Reese, Phil Rizzuto, and Lou Bodreau were all holdin' it down through the forties and into the fifties. Luke Appling also, all through the forties, although he started a little earlier, more with Joe Cronin, through the thirties and forties. All these guys in the Hall.

Maybe, just maybe, they don't think Trammell was as good as the other guys. I know I don't.

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
Ripken('81-'01)and Ozzie('78-'96) are pretty much from the same era. And hell, Yount('74-'93) was at short for the first ten or eleven years of his career, and he's in there too.

Honus Wagner (although he played a lot of other positions apparently) and Bobby Wallace are from the same era. As is Joe Tinker. All in the Hall.

Pee Wee Reese, Phil Rizzuto, and Lou Bodreau were all holdin' it down through the forties and into the fifties. Luke Appling also, all through the forties, although he started a little earlier, more with Joe Cronin, through the thirties and forties. All these guys in the Hall.

Maybe, just maybe, they don't think Trammell was as good as the other guys. I know I don't.

Trammell's not as good as ANY of those guy's ?

TheTimm

Made In Detroit
Supporting Founder
Jun 18, 2004
Charlotte, NC
:p
I have no idea -- I never got to see a whole lot of Bobby Wallace!

My point was that they do induct more than one guy from an era at a certain position.

I meant they just might not think he's as good as Ripken or Ozzie or even Yount.

Pesonally, I have simple criteria for whether I think someone should be in the Hall of Fame. Basically, when I'm asked if someone should be in the Hall of Fame, I answer. If I have to stop and think about it, even if just for a second, my answer is "no". I think the Hall should be reserved for the greatest of the great -- the best ever. And as much of a Trammell fan as I am, I just don't think he quite fits that description.

sidekick

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 17, 2005
Port Angeles, Washington
I agree with your criteria. I also don't think he should be in the Hall. Frankly, I think there's too many people in the hall of fame. The players should be mind-blowingly good to get in.

I have no idea -- I never got to see a whole lot of Bobby Wallace!

My point was that they do induct more than one guy from an era at a certain position.

I meant they just might not think he's as good as Ripken or Ozzie or even Yount.

Pesonally, I have simple criteria for whether I think someone should be in the Hall of Fame. Basically, when I'm asked if someone should be in the Hall of Fame, I answer. If I have to stop and think about it, even if just for a second, my answer is "no". I think the Hall should be reserved for the greatest of the great -- the best ever. And as much of a Trammell fan as I am, I just don't think he quite fits that description.

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005

With that criteria, I would have to take a lot of people OUT of the Hall then :)

dantheman77

Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 18, 2005
st. louis mo
anyone who was put in by the veterans committe. if they werent good enough to go in the normal way thats to bad. i dont know every one who was put in by the vc, maybe there are some worthy, but overall i would say the hall would be ok with out them. one of my home town own, red schendeist(sp) does he belong???
btw ted simmions belongs!

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
They need to do away with the HOF comittee and re elect new poeple.
Some don't bother to vote, because they don't like the person, others vote for ones they know won't make it .... others are just plain stupid.
are any of these guys under 70 ?

Jimbo

cybok0

SatelliteGuys Master
Oct 23, 2006
Sha Ka Ree.
anyone who was put in by the veterans committe. if they werent good enough to go in the normal way thats to bad. i dont know every one who was put in by the vc, maybe there are some worthy, but overall i would say the hall would be ok with out them. one of my home town own, red schendeist(sp) does he belong???
btw ted simmions belongs!

I feel the reason to keep players elected by the veteran committee is that in the past there wasn't an ESPN to show highlights of very good defensive players.

Do you think Ozzie Smith belongs in the hall, of course you do and so do I. But Ozzie had the help of TV.

Bill Mazeroski wasn't the caliper of Ozzie but he was damn close.
Some say one of the best second baseman who ever played the game.

But because he didn't hit alot of home runs and wasn't scene on TV, he was overlooked for the hall, fortunately the veteran committee elected him.

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/hofers_and_honorees/hofer_bios/mazeroski_bill.htm

dantheman77

Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 18, 2005
st. louis mo
I feel the reason to keep players elected by the veteran committee is that in the past there wasn't an ESPN to show highlights of very good defensive players.

Do you think Ozzie Smith belongs in the hall, of course you do and so do I. But Ozzie had the help of TV.

Bill Mazeroski wasn't the caliper of Ozzie but he was damn close.
Some say one of the best second baseman who ever played the game.

But because he didn't hit alot of home runs and wasn't scene on TV, he was overlooked for the hall, fortunately the veteran committee elected him.

http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/hofers_and_honorees/hofer_bios/mazeroski_bill.htm

good point! like i said some deserve.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts