Whole Home DVR Issues, Part Two

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

otis29

Original poster
Oct 3, 2007
Howdy, I posted this at the DirecTV help forums, but haven't received an answer, so thought I'd try my luck here and see if anyone had ideas on which way to go next (or if I'm missing something obvious):

Here's the situation - I recently signed up for DirecTV with the Whole-Home DVR service. It went a bit less than smoothly, since the installer came out with an HD DVR (HR24), one HD Receiver (H23), and one SD Receiver. Obviously, the SD receiver wouldn't function in the Whole-Home environment, and after some phone calls with DirecTV, they agreed to ship me an HD Receiver (H24) to replace the SD receiver.

I received the new HD receiver, and installed it, but am having trouble getting the Whole-Home working on that new receiver. The HR24 and the H23 (that was previously installed) both seem to be functioning correctly (I can access DVR content on both). The new H24 however, is not able to access the play list.

Interestingly enough, on the HR24 and H24 - in the Whole-Home menu, it states "No networked DVRs found", but it shows Whole-Home service as "Authorized". On the H23 that was previously installed, it does show the main DVR as activated, with delete access set up.

So I'm a bit confused on where to go from here. I've rebooted all three boxes, with no luck. The HR24 did have a rubber plug in the Ethernet port, which I removed and the H24 had a plastic plug in the ethernet port, also removed. Still the same situation. The HR24 has a SWM box attached to it, the H23 has a DECA box, and (according to DirecTV), the H24 has the DECA built into the hardware. An additional DECA box is in my office, and will be connected to my router, which I should have in the next day or two.

I tried a sequence I saw at the other site of powering down and back up the individual devices that's supposed to cure a lot of these issues, but I'm back in the same boat.

Thanks in advance for any help.

There is no need to remove the plugs on the ethernet ports (but it won't hurt anything).

Hold down the INFO button on your remote for 3 seconds or so until the System Info & Test screen comes up. Then highlight More System Info and press SELECT. Scroll down and note the Network parameters IP Address, Subnet Mask, etc. Do this for all three receivers and report them here (when you connect to your router these numbers will all change, but you should be able to get it all working now).

You may need to run Network Setup under the System Setup menu (it will fail the internet connection since you don't have a router connected, but that won't affect MRV).

Thanks Bob, here's what I show:

HR24:
IP Address: 169.254.8.0
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0

H24:
IP Address: 169.254.5.229

H23:
IP Address: 169.254.8.51

There's really nothing listed in that section outside of those particular numbers - no info in DNS, etc.

By chance did they put a bandstop filter on the line going into the old SD box? It will need to be taken off for MRV to work.

Isn't it crazy that one must come here for answers rather than the provider.
Interestingly enough, I've had pleasant interactions when I've had to call DirecTV in the short tenure I've had them (my wife though, did not - when she was setting up the service). Getting my new HD receiver activated was a pretty painless process, but instead of staying on the line with the rep while it booted, I just told them I'd contact them if I had any issues.

I just wasn't sure if I'd have to go through a bunch of processes with Direct that I had already tried (power down sequence, etc.) - so I figured I'd just post it here, since there's plenty of smart people around.

Hell, they figured it out here before the online DirecTV techs did on THEIR forum. :)

In short, I love this place.

Isn't it crazy that one must come here for answers rather than the provider.
This is another area where there's a hitch in the CSR giddyup. They don't seem to be able to recognize when paradigm shifts in technology are going to require some sort of low level modifications to the system.

Self-installing is overrated.

This is another area where there's a hitch in the CSR giddyup. They don't seem to be able to recognize when paradigm shifts in technology are going to require some sort of low level modifications to the system.

Self-installing is overrated.

Do you ever talk like a normal person?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts