This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Whole Home DVR Not Working - Need Advice

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pabster892

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
Iowa, USA
Hi folks,

Just had system installed early Dec 2011. I have a very simple setup; A single HR21-200 DVR and a single H24-100 HD Receiver in a bedroom. That's all. I have the SWiM dish and switch (?) and connected also is a Broadband Internet DECA (I believe "Cinema Connection Kit" is what it is referred to.)

So here's the deal...went online tonight, activated whole-home. Both the receiver and the DVR confirm service is authorized. But only the receiver in the bedroom has an internet connection, and of course neither unit can see the other. I'm thinking I need to order 2 separate DECA adapters to get this working? But I still don't understand why the bedroom receiver has internet access and the DVR does not. Do I need multiple "Cinema Connection Kit" as well? No way in hell I'm paying them to come and remedy this so I either get it working or just forget the Whole Home thing, not worth the money or hassle. I won't use it much, just thought it would be handy but I'm not going to get too excited over it.

Any ideas? I've tried searching various threads and forum posts but it seems very confusing. Any advice / help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

do you have a receiver deca on the back of the HR21 ?

No I don't believe so. What is a 'Receiver DECA'? All that is on the back of my HR21-200 is the incoming (1) sat cable, the HDMI, and power. That's it.

Could you link to the part I would need and also why does the lowly HD receiver in the bedroom get an internet connection but not the HR21-200?

H24 has the deca built in the HR21 is an older version that was pre deca.

Ah, ok. So just one of those connected to the HR21 will fix this? Strange that a basic HD receiver has it and an HD DVR does not. I guess you live and learn. Is the power supply required or can the HR21 operate it on its own?

the deca plugs into the hr21 and then the sat cable plugs into the deca. the deca will also have about a 6" network cable that goes from the deca to the hr21 ethernet port. you may have to go into network setup on the hr21 once the deca is installed.

the deca plugs into the hr21 and then the sat cable plugs into the deca. the deca will also have about a 6" network cable that goes from the deca to the hr21 ethernet port. you may have to go into network setup on the hr21 once the deca is installed.

Makes sense, looks like an easy fix. I just want to make sure I won't need anything else, like some sort of adapter or device for the H24 in the bedroom as well - to get whole home DVR up and running...also do you know about the power adapter thing on the DECA? It says it can be powered by some receivers but it lists HR21-100 as needing power and some other B-band thing to work, does that apply to the HR21-200 that I have as well?

Sorry I'm just a little confused on the whole-home DVR thing. Seems like it should be pretty simple but I'm having trouble grasping it.

thats for the hr20, you have the hr21 correct?

Yes model is HR21-200 for the HD DVR.

I can't read diagrams worth a darn...I don't have that 8-way switch thing just a small one on the outside of the house and the power injector thing inside.

do you have the wireless deca?

Wireless DECA? The only device I have is a "Broadband Adapter" which they listed as "Cinema Connection Kit". It has ethernet to my router and feeds in to the satellite cable. As I understand that is the only thing needed save for this other DECA device on the HR21-200? Or do I need additional equipment to make this work?

you would know without a doubt if you had the wireless, but for now yes all you need is the deca unit and all should be good. you can always come here for help and someone should be able to help if I'm not here at the time.

you would know without a doubt if you had the wireless, but for now yes all you need is the deca unit and all should be good. you can always come here for help and someone should be able to help if I'm not here at the time.

I appreciate your help, Thank You very much!

The only question I have now is do I need to purchase a power supply for that DECA? It seems to cost more than the DECA itself and it isn't clear if it is necessary or not. Any ideas on that? Can my HR21-200 power the DECA on its own?

pabster892,
I am just a tad confused here too. You mention a Cinema Connection Kit being attached to your system, but they only work for downloading to a DVR. It sounds like your tech just did not hook up your internet connection to your HR21 beause you do not list your HR21 as having this wire on the back. So can I guess that you have never had Video on Demand capability since your install? I do find it a bit bizarre that he did not install the DECA on your HR21 when he installed the Cinema Connection Kit since it really was necessary for VOD to work. You may want to call D* and complain that your VOD does not work. Then you would get the DECA for free.
Bob

Last edited:

Excellent point, and I will do that. No excuse for the tech not doing it, just in a hurry as they always are. He actually left the Cinema Connection Kit just sitting there because for some reason it would not sync that day and he couldn't wait. It works fine now (obviously) but without that DECA dongle on the HR21 it is worthless at this point. BTW I did have On Demand working by just running wired ethernet to my router at one point but I knew that was not a long-term solution as I wanted whole-home and such, and would need to use DECA networking at some point.

EDIT: Then again the adapter is only about $20...might just order one and get on with it, instead of the hassle of dealing with levels of support and such. I know they should have done it but I probably should have followed up better on it as well...guess you live and learn.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.