Whole Home DVR not working with Internet.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

qlasiq

Original poster
Dec 13, 2011
Utah
Since I was installed a little over a month ago my Internet connection has not worked with my primary receiver (HR24/200). I'm getting my new flat screen for my bedroom so I activated the whole home service, I then tried to access some movies on the Directv cinema and it wasn't connecting. I ran through troubleshooting with a dtv customer service agent and then scheduled a service call. The technician stated that all dtv's equipment was fine and it was an issue with the Internet provider...possibly needing a 2nd IP address or needing the firewall removed from my router!

What can I do to resolve this issue so my whole home DVR will work properly?

Well do u have the deca broadband adapter somewhere in the house? Tell us a little but about ur setup. Is it single wire or u useing the multiswitch? What kind of router do u have?

Did you have whole home installed? It sounds like you just had it turned on. As Brad said, you need the internet connection kit if you are using whole home over SWiM. It connects to your splitter, your router and to ac power. It provides internet on all receivers on your network.

It is very important to know your internet provider. If it is Comcast you may need a work-around. It would also help if you share the IP addressing you see on your receiver. That would tell us if you are getting the DHCP addressing correctly.

Yeah, I have a DECA unit which was installed by the original technician and was also verified by the service technician. The service tech came out and checked all my equipment and said everything was wired right including my singlewire multi switch. The DECA is currently displaying a green light for power, nothing for c-link, flashing yellow/orange for network. When I go to my receivers network setup and select "get connected" here are the results I receive:
IP Address: 169.254.6.4 ok
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0 ok
Default Gateway: - -
DNS: - -
Network: Coax not connected (9)
Internet: not connected (13)
Result code: 86-489

The ip and subnet don't actually match what I get when I run IPCONFIG on my computer, and when I manually typed in the info from my computer it still didn't work.

Are you sure the DECA is connected properly to your router? Have you checked cable connections? The lights you are seeing show there is no active connection between the two.

yes I have...in fact the technician even switched out the DECA for a new one. Could my Linksys Routers firewall be blocking the connection?

yes I have...in fact the technician even switched out the DECA for a new one. Could my Linksys Routers firewall be blocking the connection?
I doubt it is your Linksys Router. The routers will usually setup addressing protocols correctly then block the ports if they choose. (That is the level where firewalls operate.) You are not getting a valid addressing scheme from your router. Your addressing should look something like this:
IP Address: 192.168.0.x (where x can be any number based on what your router assigns)
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
Are you sure your Cat-5 cable is OK?
Are you going straight from your router to your "Connection Kit"?
What DECA do your have for your internet connection? Is it the "Cinema Connection Kit" model or one of the square boxy units that are normally used for connecting a receivers network capability to the coax network? Are you sure your DECA power supply is working correctly?

I am sorry you are having so much difficulty with your setup. But, I am also concerned that your technicians did not catch the fact that the addressing is incorrect. This suggests they don't have much experience with the internet connection.

(And just as a point of clarification, an internet connection has nothing to do with Whole Home service. It is simply used for downloading program content over the internet to your DVR. Whole home works receiver to receiver/DVR over the coax wiring. So this may be confusing any telephone conversation you are having with D* phone service. They may be trying to help you solve the wrong problem.)

I hope this helps.
Bob

Well everyone...in an astonishing turn of events it just randomly started working. I had attempted to do port forwarding on my router and it didn't work so i set it back to default and when I woke up this morning all the lights were green on the DECA and its good to go. I don't know what I did but im just gonna go with it.

Sorry to jump in the middle of this, but have a question about internet and whole house. I just had DTV installed and there is a DECA broadband adapter hooked into my router. Does that mean that I can download from computer to DTV box for viewing. Can recorded programs be saved to my computer? I know it can't be true, but thought I would ask.

Thanks

Sorry to jump in the middle of this, but have a question about internet and whole house. I just had DTV installed and there is a DECA broadband adapter hooked into my router. Does that mean that I can download from computer to DTV box for viewing. Can recorded programs be saved to my computer? I know it can't be true, but thought I would ask.

Thanks

I'm not sure about watching stuff from your computer on your receiver,but if you have a HD DVR,you can also order the Nomad from DIRECTV for $149.00 to transfer recordings from your DVR to your computer. Watch Recorded TV Shows on Mobile with DIRECTV Nomad - DIRECTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)