Whole Home DVR Problems

Status
Please reply by conversation.

FranKy400

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
I was not at home when the installers came for my new DirecTV service.

I am home now and able to play around with it and found problems.

I have the following hookup:

HR24-500 > Family Room
H_24-100 > Master Bedroom
H_24-100 > Guest Bedroom

Ran test on Master Bedroom > yes for internet connection; no for dvr connction.

Ran test on Guest Bedroom > no internet connection; yes for dvr connection.

The Master Bedroom test for networking says no dvr's available.

I have always had Dish so that was the system I was very familiar with troubleshooting. However, this has got me stunned.

Any suggestions for helping me resolve this problem would be greatly appreciated.

How is the HR-24 connected to the router? There is an adapter (forget the name) that connects the HR-24 to the router and the other connection goes to the receiver. Did they install that?

The H24s don't need any adapters.

How is the HR-24 connected to the router? There is an adapter (forget the name) that connects the HR-24 to the router and the other connection goes to the receiver. Did they install that?

The H24s don't need any adapters.
Actually, the DECA internet adapter is connected between an SWM splitter and the router. As noted, the HR24 and H24s don't need DECA adapters. Just one to the internet.

There is a small part inserted into the back of the HR24 that looks like an eithernet connector but there is no wire coming out of it. Is this the adapter that is being referred to?

I have no idea. The only connection on the back of the HR24 should be the coax in the Sat1/SWM port.

Where is this part inserted and what identifications are on it.

Okay, I feel stupid but I think I've found the problem.

The plastic piece in the ethernet connection looks like a protection piece that does absolutely nothing but lock into the port for protective purposes only. I thought maybe it was some type of wireless piece.

Therefore, the HR24 is not connected to the internet so the install was not done properly.

The one H24 receiver in the master bedroom is the only one connected to the internet.

It is a bit perplexing that the other two receivers are talking to one another without either being connected to the internet, yet the one receiver that is connected to the internet does not see the other two.

It is my understanding that they all must be connected to the internet to be able to network. Looks like I've got some work to do.

I feel kind of stupid now, but I do appreciate your help. Hopefully I can get used to troubleshooting the directv receivers as easily as I was with the dish recievers.

Therefore, the HR24 is not connected to the internet so the install was not done properly.

The one H24 receiver in the master bedroom is the only one connected to the internet.

Let's focus on these two boxes first.

Master Bedroom is an h24, HOW is it connected to the internet. Does it have an ethernet cable attached?

Another Question: Did you pay the $25 for the Internet Connectivity Kit?

Let's focus on these two boxes first.

Master Bedroom is an h24, HOW is it connected to the internet. Does it have an ethernet cable attached?

Another Question: Did you pay the $25 for the Internet Connectivity Kit?

The H24 in the master bedroom is connected with an ethernet cable attached.

Yes, the work order included the $25 charge for the internet connectivity so that the dvr would work on the two H24 receivers.

My initial thought is to move the HR24-DVR to the master bedroom and connect the ethernet cable to it? Then I'm thinking that the other two H24 receivers would feed off of it properly.

I asked them to put the HR24-DVR in the family room, and they did so, but I'm thinking it probably doesn't matter where the HR24 is as long as I can connect to the internet. Does this sound correct?

Last edited:
The H24 in the master bedroom is connected with an ethernet cable attached.

Yes, the work order included the $25 charge for the internet connectivity so that the dvr would work on the two H24 receivers.

Your installer hooked this up wrong.

It shouldn't have anything plugged into the back of the box's ethernet.

You need a BB Deca connected to your router, and a coax running back to your SWM splitter.

Call them back, it's hooked up wrong.

After you do that, unhook the ethernet cable and try resetting the box. Red button under the flip down door on the front right of the box.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)