Whole Home DVR Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

vipes27

Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
USA
We just switched from Dish to DirecTV on Saturday and I had a question on the whole home DVR. We have 1 HD DVR and 2 HR receivers but can only record, pause, rewind, etc. from the DVR TV but can watch shows off of the DVR on the other 2 TVs. Is this how it's supposed to be? If so, I'm a little disappointed. I thought whole home meant you could pause, record, rewind, etc. from any TV. With Dish, we only had 1 DVR but could pause, rewind, record and watch shows off of the other TVs. I don't care about doing it in one room because it's our bedroom, but I would like it in our basement but don't really want to spend $200 for a new DVR already.

Is this what the service is intended for?

We just switched from Dish to DirecTV on Saturday and I had a question on the whole home DVR. We have 1 HD DVR and 2 HR receivers but can only record, pause, rewind, etc. from the DVR TV but can watch shows off of the DVR on the other 2 TVs. Is this how it's supposed to be? If so, I'm a little disappointed. I thought whole home meant you could pause, record, rewind, etc. from any TV. With Dish, we only had 1 DVR but could pause, rewind, record and watch shows off of the other TVs. I don't care about doing it in one room because it's our bedroom, but I would like it in our basement but don't really want to spend $200 for a new DVR already.

Is this what the service is intended for?

working as intended
you can only pause live tv on a dvr
its not actualley called whole home dvr
its mrv (multi room viewing)

OK. They need to change their marketing to MRV then. When the installer came, he even mentioned that I was getting setup with whole home DVR.

directv does call it mrv, its other people that call it whole home dvr.
or the new unit is called the home media center

this is also why anyone on the forums recommends getting as many dvrs as you may need up front
second is usually $99 if ordered before install

or the new unit is called the home media center

this is also why anyone on the forums recommends getting as many dvrs as you may need up front
second is usually $99 if ordered before install

Well, in my case, it was the DirecTV installer. I'm wondering if I call them, if they'd give me a second one for cheaper than the $199 I see listed since I just had it installed?

Well, in my case, it was the DirecTV installer. I'm wondering if I call them, if they'd give me a second one for cheaper than the $199 I see listed since I just had it installed?
I've seen posters relate stories of remorse and being able to upgrade for up to a week after installation. The more time spent deliberating calling DIRECTV, the lower your chances are.

diretv does call it whole home > Whole-Home DVR service

so you can pause,rewind,forward and delete recordings from any room. you can schedule a recording from any room but remember you will always have 2 tuners with your DVR unless its a HR34. which means if both tuners are busy recording and you try to schedule another recording at the same time from one of the receivers you will fail. and as already mentioned, you can't rew,ffwd,pause live tv from a receiver in a MRV setup.

what harshness mentioned. give them a call as soon as possible....

If I replace one of the HD receivers for a DVR, will a tech have to come out or will they just ship it to me?

If you have a swim Install then yes, the swim allows you to hook up HDDVRs with one line only, but make sure the number of tuners you have will not put your Swim into overdrive.

If you do not have a swim then a technician would have to come out and install a second line to run the HDDVR.

If you search DIRECTV's products for MRV it takes you to the Whole Home DVR page. The term does not appear anywhere in the DIRECTV derived areas of their website.

If you search DIRECTV's products for MRV it takes you to the Whole Home DVR page. The term does not appear anywhere in the DIRECTV derived areas of their website.

ok, i stand corrected
but i read the page and it does not state pause live tv in every room
it only states view recorded content in other rooms
so its working as advertised

So I have a hr24,hr22 and two h22's with MRV,why am I only able to watch one program that is recorded on the hr24. Should I be able to watch two things on the h22's at once from the hr24. Thanks hope that makes sense

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts