Whos got a Slingbox?

Status
Not open for further replies.
StevenD said:
The Cingular 8125 was made available to B2B customers yessterday. It should be available to the general public within a couple of months.

I think I like the looks of that. I will have to look into it. I do have a business account, I wonder if it would include me?

I have read reviews from people who have both the Sony unit and the Slingbox, and from the sounds of it the Slingbox wins hands down. They all say the picture is really washed out.

Also sony only lets you install the viewer software on one PC, while the Slingplayer you can download and install to any pc.

I think it would be cool if they wrote a slingbox version for the PSP. :)

John Walsh said:
I think I like the looks of that. I will have to look into it. I do have a business account, I wonder if it would include me?
It's available for me at the Cingular premier site.

I have the SMT5600 now (also a smartphone) running Windows Mobile 2003. I noticed that they make you get a PDA dataplan vs a Smartphone dataplan (costs more). That's the only downside I've noticed.

I wonder if you can tether a laptop on the PDA plan?

Shawn

Hey Scott, since you have two devices plugged into your Slingbox, I have to ask: 1) You have it rigged up how (I'm assuming you're using RF cable feed for audio and video--or do you employ an external switcher), and 2) How do you find the Slingbox's source switching capabilities when using it remotely? Relatively painless, or a bit kludgy?

To be honest, if the Slingbox units had two discreet sets of inputs, and the software supported true seamless switching between them (I've read elsewhere that this is still dependant on a future software release), then I'd be pretty much 100% sold. PSP support would be pure icing.

Last edited:
At the moment you need to change they inputs through the setup screen, however in a verision they showed at CES you will juck click on an input switcher in the viewer and it will do on the fly switching. :)

Scott et al - Here's an idea. You could set up your camcorder and plug in audio and video feeds to one of the inputs with your tuner on the other. Now you have a security camera with audio as well. I will be dropping by a local store to check this device out this weekend.

Yes I have heard a few people doing this. :)

About the only thing the Slinbox lacks is the ability to learn non standard remote codes (for example I can not hook it up to my FTA receiver and control it since the Slingbox does not support that receiver)

It would rock with an IR learn feature. (And it would also be great if it had like 6 seperate video inputs) :D

Scott- I am installing the Sling box tonight and I have a question about the best way to operate it-

Since the SB uses composite analog video in, how do you connect it to your DVR when the DVR is left on HD output?

Specifically, I'm trying to connect to the AV outputs on the HR10-250 since that receiver has the most channels. When that receiver is left in the HDTV modes, it will not send SD video. I do get analog audio however.. Any suggestions?

There doesn't seem to be a remote control for the video output format to switch from HD to "480i SD to activate the video from the S or composite.

But other than that the box is working very well!

Don Landis said:
Scott- I am installing the Sling box tonight and I have a question about the best way to operate it-

Since the SB uses composite analog video in, how do you connect it to your DVR when the DVR is left on HD output?

Specifically, I'm trying to connect to the AV outputs on the HR10-250 since that receiver has the most channels. When that receiver is left in the HDTV modes, it will not send SD video. I do get analog audio however.. Any suggestions?

There doesn't seem to be a remote control for the video output format to switch from HD to "480i SD to activate the video from the S or composite.

But other than that the box is working very well!

On my 942 it outputs HD and SD at the same time, thats how I have mine hooked up.

I kind of figured that was the case. I guess I'll need to leave the HR10-250 and the 921 in 480i mode before I leave town on my trips. Unless, I can figure out a way to switch the modes by the sling remote. The 921 may have that HD/SD button on the remote but I haven't looked at it yet.

Not sure if you tried the EVDO mode yet but it doesn't handle it well on continuous. I see the bit monitor at the bottom of the right corner registering fine at 356+ but then it will dip to 116 for a second when the picture hesitates and the sound drops. Then it will burst to ~500 and it picks up and does fine. In effect, the EVDO (laptop card) is not good for sustained connection of streaming video at these rates. There may be some settings that allow you to adjust for this by a larger buffer and restricted screen demand. Smart TV does it this way and can actually work fine at GPRS data rates. Later today, I'll dig into it further.

I see they haver a new beta software for download on their website. I tried to get it right away but they wouldn't allow that as a first install.

I found a way around this output mode switch from the sling software on the Hr10-250 From the live tv mode, once connected you can pre configure your uparrow to toggle between the selected video modes. I selected two, 720P and 480i and now if I bring up that DVR, and I hear audio but black picture, uparrow and the picture comes on! :)

Last edited:
StevenD I saw in the Sling forums that coupon rebate expired before Christmas. I tried too! :(

The basics work very well and I'm impressed but I still would like to see the WM5 player.

I wouldn't place the sling box above my XV6700 for great gadgets as Scott did but it is quite a revolutionary addition to my home entertainment arsenal.

That coupon actually worked the morning that I posted it. I tried it out before I posted it.

Don Landis said:
I wouldn't place the sling box above my XV6700 for great gadgets as Scott did but it is quite a revolutionary addition to my home entertainment arsenal.
Don you don't have a 3 year old running around. :) Instant baby sitter works wonders!

Not yet, that would be at minimum of 4 years away--- as a grandparent! :)

Speaking of sling boxes- right after I installed it on my wife's computer Sunday her hard drive began to fail. I had a spare 2.5" drive so I formatted it and reinstalled everything. Now the sling video seems to be jerky. Then I realized I don't yet have SP2 installed. Doing that now. I hope that will fix it. The bit rate I saw was 1400- 1600 so I don't think the network speed was the problem.

Last edited:
I finally plugged mine in to my 211 dish rcvr.

It cannot change channels, etc.

The rcvr uses std code id 2 (not 1) and the remoted nd my universal remote work fine with it.

I tried upgrading the app to 1.05 (the beta) and it shows dish code 1,2,3, but selecting any of them does not power or change channels.

I did put the ir repeater thingy in front of the middle led on the 211 and did plug it into the slingbox. Just no channel control.

Any ideas?

I had to change the remote address on my receiver to "1" for the SlingBox to control it. I haven't had a chance to try the other included remote codes to see if any of them work at other addresses.

I'm using the Dish Network 522 codeset on the latest beta. They forgot the PIP, Swap and Position buttons on the remote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)