Who's to blame for these increasing tv costs?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
And every time I cut my Dish package to save money the damn cable company raises my internet fee. Cox raised the cost $5 in Jan 2016 and $5 in November 2016. that is $10 in one year, which is almost a 14% INCREASE IN 10 MONTHS. plus they added a cap to streaming usage with a $10 fee when you go over the cap each month, which could add up to hundredsof dollars each year. Rape! Rape!

I recently posted similar with Charter in a couple of other threads, all of a sudden increases are coming fast and furious.

It'd be a lot easier to argue this topic if we actually had the numbers on channel rates, costs to run a channel, value of a channel and cable/sat overhead cost.
Usually. That would hold true if there was true competition and consumer choice instead of collusion and oligopoly.
Competition is a double edged sword. The NFL loves competing companies bidding on their programming, but it hurts us. Ultimately sat/cable providers can only negotiate so much and the programming has to be relatively competitive with one another, which leads to the larger savings based on how much overhead they have to provide and support the channels physically. Dish and Directv blow cable out of the water.

Would eliminating the whole home DVR fee and receiver fees help? I think so since each year those seem to go up in price and if they would eliminate that then I think a lot more would stay. I think a lot are leaving pay tv since the cost is just too high. All I can do is just keep dropping down to the next channel package and losing channels I do watch .

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

And every time I cut my Dish package to save money the damn cable company raises my internet fee. Cox raised the cost $5 in Jan 2016 and $5 in November 2016. that is $10 in one year, which is almost a 14% INCREASE IN 10 MONTHS. plus they added a cap to streaming usage with a $10 fee when you go over the cap each month, which could add up to hundredsof dollars each year. Rape! Rape!

In my opinion, this is totally predictable. As more and more people cut the cord, the internet service providers will see themselves in a better market position and increase their rates and institute caps. People are leaving traditional television providers and becoming more dependent on internet to stream TV content. This puts the internet provider in favor. Once again, supply and demand, whatever the market will bear.

In my opinion, this is totally predictable. As more and more people cut the cord, the internet service providers will see themselves in a better market position and increase their rates and institute caps. People are leaving traditional television providers and becoming more dependent on internet to stream TV content. This puts the internet provider in favor. Once again, supply and demand, whatever the market will bear.

In addition, customers threatening to leave (including those who do) doesn't always have the effect of causing the vendor to panic. Case in point, ATT hasn't ever reduced the cost of their landline service because people jumped to cell phones. In fact, they are eager to shed their landline operations in the years to come. I have a hunch that DISH is betting on Sling TV and their other IP based TV services eclipsing satellite in the years to come. Dishes may not completely disappear for another 20 years, but it's not their only iron in the fire anymore

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Would eliminating the whole home DVR fee and receiver fees help? I think so since each year those seem to go up in price and if they would eliminate that then I think a lot more would stay. I think a lot are leaving pay tv since the cost is just too high. All I can do is just keep dropping down to the next channel package and losing channels I do watch .

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

They will never eliminate DVR fees or any other fees. These are hidden costs that do not appear in advertising, which makes them look cheaper than there competitors. WOW, I get FREE HD for Life. Look at all the money I am saving. I save money, because I have the Welcome pack and an OTA TiVo.

Reactions: pattykay
They will never eliminate DVR fees or any other fees. These are hidden costs that do not appear in advertising, which makes them look cheaper than there competitors. WOW, I get FREE HD for Life. Look at all the money I am saving. I save money, because I have the Welcome pack and an OTA TiVo.

Me too. 211k receiver with a 2TB Ehd. No fees.

Me too. 211k receiver with a 2TB Ehd. No fees.

Yup, no monthly fees. Also no second, third or 16th tuner among many other missing features.

Considering what we pay now a days for food, clothing, shelter and everything else IMHO the DVR fee is a bargain for what we get, especially with a Hopper 3. :)

Reactions: bmetelsky
Yup, no monthly fees. Also no second, third or 16th tuner among many other missing features.

Considering what we pay now a days for food, clothing, shelter and everything else IMHO the DVR fee is a bargain for what we get, especially with a Hopper 3. :)

I don't need 16 tuners. If I did, I suppose maybe the fees would be Ok

I can't even imagine only being able to watch or record 1 Satellite and/or 1 OTA show at a time. Some nights there are 5 or more shows recording at once while I'm watching 4 screens of MultiView and a Joey or 2 around the house are watching as well.

Life's to short to scrimp on TV :biggrin

I can't even imagine only being able to watch or record 1 Satellite and/or 1 OTA show at a time. Some nights there are 5 or more shows recording at once while I'm watching 4 screens of MultiView and a Joey or 2 around the house are watching as well.

Life's to short to scrimp on TV :biggrin

That's cool, I'm just saying it's not important for everyone. I live in a small town where the cost for broadband internet is high, and I can't justify paying a lot of money for TV on top of internet. Not everybody wants to pay $80 or more a month for TV. I get TONS of OTA action here and I feed it all through my house, so it keeps me and the daughter happy. Since this thread is about rising costs, I just thought I'd toss that out there

Reactions: TheKrell and Tampa8
That's cool, I'm just saying it's not important for everyone. I live in a small town where the cost for broadband internet is high, and I can't justify paying a lot of money for TV on top of internet. Not everybody wants to pay $80 or more a month for TV. I get TONS of OTA action here and I feed it all through my house, so it keeps me and the daughter happy. Since this thread is about rising costs, I just thought I'd toss that out there

Because of all the OTA channels In Tampa if money were to become an issue I would be open to relying more on OTA for TV. That and the Flex Pack could easily be enough.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)