Who’s using RG6/U copper clad steel for HD with no problems????

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Sorry, not true. The signal carrying capacity of the two cables is identical. What is NOT the same is the power loss. That means that any cable carrying power (for most installations, that means the cable between the SWM LNB and the power inserter) should be solid copper core if it is reasonably long (100ft or more). Maybe you have never installed systems with that sort of length between the Power Inserter and the LNB.
If it's a traditional (non SWM system)using a non-powered multiswitch like the WB68, then all the cables carry power, because the LNB is powered from the receivers, so they should all be solid copper unless they are short.

Really---

What I can tell you from years of experience installing

Old Legacy systems will run without any problem on CCS, and can do some crazy long runs 300'+
SWM will run without problems on CCS up to 200'.

The only place I am seeing solid copper needed is on runs over 100' for clients.

Really---

What I can tell you from years of experience installing

Old Legacy systems will run without any problem on CCS, and can do some crazy long runs 300'+
SWM will run without problems on CCS up to 200'.

The only place I am seeing solid copper needed is on runs over 100' for clients.

For the win! Clients are a killer on long runs without solid copper and I have no clue as to why, don't really make much sense to me

Im quite familiar with rg7/11 and also 320, but im also a cable tech, i have never seen solid copper rg 7 or 11, and ive never seen any sat guys with fittings to fit that line either, had a guy trade me some of his stock for 59/7/11 fittings one time though.

Does the 7/11 dielectric make up for not being solid copper or something? I get signal drops and dbv and such, but dont see how voltage would be affected by anything but hardline, then again my mind is in cable mode not dtv right now, so i could be mistaken.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

They do make rg11 in solid copper. I bought a reel of it last summer for a job at a nuclear facility. It's a little pricey, it was right at $230 with shipping. I needed it for this 1 run in there & was afraid to use anything else. There was no accurate way to measure the distance, but it ended up being a tad over 400' according to the footage stamp on the wire. The job itself was a 2 box dish install. Took me 2 1/2 days to install it. 2 days just running that long run. It was a fascinating place to work at, but also a big pita. Security with several check points took an hr to get in & an hr to get out. There was an armed security guard with me the whole time. He was a super nice guy, but him shadowing my every move was a little unnerving at times. The box with the long run ended up being about 10 points lower than the other 1 that only had about a 75' run with rg6. It has been in place for close to a yr now & has not given any trouble.

I used rg11 cc on a 4 box swm that has been in place for a little over a yr. The dish is exactly 210' from the house & I'd say the the longest run in the house is probably around 75' or so. The dish run was rg11 cc & the house wiring was all rg6 cc. I was a little nervous about it until I had seen the signals on the box, mid to high 90's & a good handful of 100's across the board. That was with the 21v pwr supply.

I've always been a firm believer in rg11 for long runs. These 2 jobs I've mentioned have really helped in knowing just how far I can push it.

Reactions: Tecnicoloco
You don't need SCC from LNB to PI... You can use CCS there as well, there are no issues that arise.. Complete D* driven fallacy.

I wouldn't be 100% sure, I have SCC and when checking at the dish with a DMM I notice there is quite a voltage drop (like 18V out of the 21V put out by the inserter)

So IMO, SCC from the dish to power inserter and locate the power inserter as close to the dish as possible, the more power the LNB gets the better it's going to push the signal out.

I wouldn't be 100% sure, I have SCC and when checking at the dish with a DMM I notice there is quite a voltage drop (like 18V out of the 21V put out by the inserter)

So IMO, SCC from the dish to power inserter and locate the power inserter as close to the dish as possible, the more power the LNB gets the better it's going to push the signal out.

I've been installing since well before the SWM changeover and have been using the CCS on all applications.. The only problems arise are bad barrels in wall plates or cable runs and bad fittings. There is no empirical evidence to show the system will not work without SCC. I never have Service calls ....... Never. Hell you can use RG 59 if you want to. Just long runs of it are not recommended.

I've been installing since well before the SWM changeover and have been using the CCS on all applications.. The only problems arise are bad barrels in wall plates or cable runs and bad fittings. There is no empirical evidence to show the system will not work without SCC. I never have Service calls ....... Never. Hell you can use RG 59 if you want to. Just long runs of it are not recommended.

RG59 with no service calls? I'm calling BS. Using copper clad steel isn't that bad as long as from dish to power inserter is solid copper for longer runs. I too have seen 3-5 voltage drop on copper clad and rerun that line whenever possible. As for RG59, that's just worthless to use. Cheating a customer out of a good install is all its doing and promising a repeat and you can argue all you want. RG59 with SWM and moca is not a good mixture at all

Ya, seriously, RG 59 on clients all day long. It's just data. I do use RG-6 from ODU , PI and Genie though. But Don't need SCC can use CCS , but like ya said if it's a real long run over 150' i would use SCC but most residential you aren't running line that far...... There really isn't anything wrong with RG 59 for the clients the biggest issues with install signal issues are creased lines , bad fittings and barrel connectors...

Ya, seriously, RG 59 on clients all day long. It's just data. I do use RG-6 from ODU , PI and Genie though. But Don't need SCC can use CCS , but like ya said if it's a real long run over 150' i would use SCC but most residential you aren't running line that far...... There really isn't anything wrong with RG 59 for the clients the biggest issues with install signal issues are creased lines , bad fittings and barrel connectors...

I used an audio cable once with an adaptor to run a client. I had no other choice

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts