Who’s using RG6/U copper clad steel for HD with no problems????

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I never bought any solid copper line.

No problems.

I figured DTV just over specified again.......as they have done in the past.
I have read the tech sheets and still not found a reason to buy the expensive cable.
I even saw a run of Rg59 prewired into a home doing ok with the HD

Joe

Whether or not you're successful with CCS has to do with cable lengths and those hoping for SWM or SWMLine setups (or running multiple multiswitches) stand a pretty good chance of regretting their decision to run CCS.

Reactions: Tecnicoloco
The only reason to use solid copper center conductor cable would be for rather long runs (a couple hundred feet), where the voltage drop would be too much to allow the LNBs to operate efficiently. It has nothing at all to do with the signal (which rides on the surface of the cable).

The only reason to use solid copper center conductor cable would be for rather long runs (a couple hundred feet), where the voltage drop would be too much to allow the LNBs to operate efficiently. It has nothing at all to do with the signal (which rides on the surface of the cable).

That and Wild Blue installations require solid copper.

Over 1,000 DirecTV systems installed, all using copper clad steel. No problems ever. That SWM crap works like a champ on the worst of RG59.

Having said that, I only stock solid copper now, and use that for all my installs - Dish, Direct, and Hughesnet. Mostly because I can't fathom carrying around four or more boxes of cable all day every day.

You can use CCS on every Directv application. I've been using it for years and have never had problems. It's a waste of money to buy Solid Copper

Sorry, not true. The signal carrying capacity of the two cables is identical. What is NOT the same is the power loss. That means that any cable carrying power (for most installations, that means the cable between the SWM LNB and the power inserter) should be solid copper core if it is reasonably long (100ft or more). Maybe you have never installed systems with that sort of length between the Power Inserter and the LNB.
If it's a traditional (non SWM system)using a non-powered multiswitch like the WB68, then all the cables carry power, because the LNB is powered from the receivers, so they should all be solid copper unless they are short.

Prewired my apartment for directv in ccs comscope line from comcast, 0 problems ever, swm5 lnb to groundblock (40' solid copper with messenger) groundblock to attic, 100' or so, power inserter is in attic, then used ccs from PI to 4way, genie and one client about 50' ccs, hddvr in bed2 40'ccs, cck in attic 3' ccs. All lines are wallfished, 0problems

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

Prewired my apartment for directv in ccs comscope line from comcast, 0 problems ever, swm5 lnb to groundblock (40' solid copper with messenger) groundblock to attic, 100' or so, power inserter is in attic, then used ccs from PI to 4way, genie and one client about 50' ccs, hddvr in bed2 40'ccs, cck in attic 3' ccs. All lines are wallfished, 0problems

You would not have any issues with that, re-read my post. The only run that matters is from the SWM LNB to the PI, and you are using SCC for that. You can use CCS everywhere else (even RG59 will work on short runs)

You would not have any issues with that, re-read my post. The only run that matters is from the SWM LNB to the PI, and you are using SCC for that. You can use CCS everywhere else (even RG59 will work on short runs)

You can also use CCS on the run to the LNB (carrying 21v power) with no problems whatsoever. Says I. :)

Not necessarily so, if it is a long run (120ft or more, including the inside wiring between the grounding block and the Power Inserter)
DirecTV specifies SCC for a reason. If the voltage drop on the run between the PI and the SWM LNB is too high, it won't work reliably, and DirecTV wants to make sure that does not happen. Why take the risk?
For the other cables, it does not matter at all, because they are not carrying any power.

For even longer runs, some peopl use the 29v power inserter which gets over any voltage loss issue. And then if it's a really long run, you need RG11 for both its lower power loss and its lower signal attenuation.

Sorry, but it is true. Most residential runs from the the ODU down to the Swm splitter is 150' or less so it isn't a problem. I can see problems with commercial applications where the ODU is on the roof of an 8 story complex and the rx's are on the 1st floor. As for residential though you can use CCS all day long. I've used it for 1000's of installs and have never had a problem with it. As for non swim that is a fallacy as well. There is no problem using it for legacy lnb's either. I've been installing for years and the systems work fine without issues. Directv would like you to think you absolutely need to install it with SCC but it isn't necessary. Most prewired houses in the US use copper clad steel in the walls.

You don't need SCC from LNB to PI... You can use CCS there as well, there are no issues that arise.. Complete D* driven fallacy.

Not necessarily so, if it is a long run (120ft or more, including the inside wiring between the grounding block and the Power Inserter)
DirecTV specifies SCC for a reason. If the voltage drop on the run between the PI and the SWM LNB is too high, it won't work reliably, and DirecTV wants to make sure that does not happen. Why take the risk?
For the other cables, it does not matter at all, because they are not carrying any power.

For even longer runs, some peopl use the 29v power inserter which gets over any voltage loss issue. And then if it's a really long run, you need RG11 for both its lower power loss and its lower signal attenuation.

Im quite familiar with rg7/11 and also 320, but im also a cable tech, i have never seen solid copper rg 7 or 11, and ive never seen any sat guys with fittings to fit that line either, had a guy trade me some of his stock for 59/7/11 fittings one time though.

Does the 7/11 dielectric make up for not being solid copper or something? I get signal drops and dbv and such, but dont see how voltage would be affected by anything but hardline, then again my mind is in cable mode not dtv right now, so i could be mistaken.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts