Why am I still with Dish?

In the C-Band days I did my own install & that was with a 16 foot dish. Never tried it with these smaller dish. I figured you need some specialized equipment to align the dish hence always went with a professional install although after the alignment, with a little advice of course, I figure I could take care of the rest. I like tinkering with these things as it was a hobby of mine when I was younger but with a slew of old satellite equipment in my cupboards, I'm now reluctant to buy any equipment & prefer to lease as I don't see the benefit nowadays to own. I'm definitely open to advice & opinions on this though.
Trust me, if you installed a C-Band dish, installing a DBS dish is a breeze. Just set the elevation, tilt (skew), and tune in your azimuth.

Trust me, if you installed a C-Band dish, installing a DBS dish is a breeze. Just set the elevation, tilt (skew), and tune in your azimuth.
I figure as much but that was back in the late 80's when I was an eager & inquiring teen. I remember doing a smaller Directv antenna as well later on but that was by the primitive means of aligning the antenna manually & shouting down to my brother if he's seeing picture yet :p.

I see the techs come now with their meters & such so I just presume to get a proper install I'll have to invest in such equipment which I'll probably never use again. Also, as I posted before, not sure if it's worth buying satellite receivers/dvr anymore as leasing doesn't seem to have much down side anymore.

I do use a SuperBuddy meter. It wouldn't be as easy without a meter for sure. I miss the analog days for tuning and alignment, much easier to just run across a feed without looking for something specific.

In other words you want to just come back and whine about how terrible things are when we have all tried to help and give options but are shot down. I'm going to go find some cheese....

In other words you want to just come back and whine about how terrible things are when we have all tried to help and give options but are shot down. I'm going to go find some cheese....

I don't see any whining here, at least by me. I am stating a simple fact. Dish Network does not care about customers that have had top tier level accounts with them for 18 years when it comes to setting up a second location. The only option they offer is to start the entire process over and be treated exactly like a new customer. Which means credit checks, up-front fees, two-year commitments, and yes of course new customer discounts. Yes I could purchase the equipment from a third party but why? That does not solve the initial setting up the account issue.

Stating a fact "Dish Network does not care about their long-term customers" is far different from "whining".

I don't see any whining here, at least by me. I am stating a simple fact. Dish Network does not care about customers that have had top tier level accounts with them for 18 years when it comes to setting up a second location. The only option they offer is to start the entire process over and be treated exactly like a new customer. Which means credit checks, up-front fees, two-year commitments, and yes of course new customer discounts. Yes I could purchase the equipment from a third party but why? That does not solve the initial setting up the account issue.

Stating a fact "Dish Network does not care about their long-term customers" is far different from "whining".
The reason being, is people set up accounts for other people. This may not be what you are looking for, but as one poster who is currently in timeout has mentioned... "I set up 3 accounts for my house, my sisters, and my parents". They do not want this to become a norm and take precautionary steps to prevent it. Fact of the matter is, it doesn't matter who you go to, everyone will want to be paid for the service they offer you. You do not need the contract, but to answer your question about why buy the equipment... It's to avoid the contract. Your 18 year account is for 1 residence. It is not for multiple, otherwise you would be account stacking.

I certainly see that, especially after reading the thread. Thanks for your thoughts ChadT41, and everyone else.

I completely disagree with how Dish has handled this. While it may not bother most people it does bother me. The inability for Dish to understand the issue and to "punish" a long-term customer is why I will be looking to make a move away from Dish once a similar opportunity comes along. My guess is that it will be within the next several years. Instead of Dish keeping me and my goodwill as a customer, they have completely lost it. Along with any recommendation I will give in the future.

And by "punish" I mean what I posted just above as well as the inability to move my saved programs over to my "new" account. Plus whatever else new things I come across.

But as I was told by a dish loyalty agent, they really have to worry about all of their customers, not just one.

The inability for Dish to understand the issue and to "punish" a long-term customer is why I will be looking to make a move away from Dish once a similar opportunity comes along...

You still don't get it, no one is punishing you. You want another account at a new location (and all of the costs to dish for setting it up) and aren't willing to accept a 2 year contract to help amortize the cost. If you really think you are right, go out there in the TV world and find a company with policies to lose money. I run my own business and have no sympathy.

Reactions: Tampa8
Do you need Dish at the temporary location? Will OTA work, or cable work? I know some cable doesn't require a contract.

The reason being, is people set up accounts for other people. This may not be what you are looking for, but as one poster who is currently in timeout has mentioned... "I set up 3 accounts for my house, my sisters, and my parents". They do not want this to become a norm and take precautionary steps to prevent it. Fact of the matter is, it doesn't matter who you go to, everyone will want to be paid for the service they offer you. You do not need the contract, but to answer your question about why buy the equipment... It's to avoid the contract. Your 18 year account is for 1 residence. It is not for multiple, otherwise you would be account stacking.
I have two Dish accounts. When I tried to set up a third account, they would not let me, which is why I went with Directv for that location. The Dish CSR told me that there was a limit of two accounts per Social Security number, and there was nothing they could do to over-ride that. This was back in 2014. I know that there are members on here who have three or more accounts, so Dish's policy must have changed since they signed up for service, and the policy could have changed again after I was told that, for all I know. This is just an FYI for anyone considering setting up a third account in their own name.

I have two Dish accounts. When I tried to set up a third account, they would not let me, which is why I went with Directv for that location. The Dish CSR told me that there was a limit of two accounts per Social Security number, and there was nothing they could do to over-ride that. This was back in 2014. I know that there are members on here who have three or more accounts, so Dish's policy must have changed since they signed up for service, and the policy could have changed again after I was told that, for all I know. This is just an FYI for anyone considering setting up a third account in their own name.

And when you signed up for that second account, did you sing a 24 commitment for it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)