Why are non sponsers sending tech questions here?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

drhydro

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
Why is it that suppliers send their customers to this forum for technical advice? I dont mind site sponsers doing that, but I see places that arent sponsers doing it also, gosatellite for one.

I know I would feel pretty ticked off if I bought something from a supplier and they directed me to a free resource for tech support. One of the things I buy when I buy a product is the support behind the product. If they dont know enough about the product to support it, then they should not sell it.

While it is nice to see the new faces, it is not nice to realize that we are acting as tech support for a business that reaps the rewards of that support without supporting us (satelliteguys.us) in return.

Sorry if off topic, just kind of tee's me off.

Last edited:
I agree, I get emails all the time from people upset wanting me to answer their FTA question and demanding that I answer it because the company they purchased it from said to ask me (or SatelliteGuys) for help.

I reply back to them that we are not a support site for the company they mentioned and told them to contact them for support, and then I also invite them to post their question here but I do point out there is no guarentee anyone will be able to help them with the issue.

We are here to help folks, I have no problem with that, but we are NOBODY'S official support site and in no way should any company be passing us off as their Tech Support site.

this isnt a offcial support site, it may as well be
Scott, you have the best site on the net
keep up the outstanding work
:)

Last edited:
Hey Scott, nice to hear from "the man" himself. I agree with you, I, and apparently the rest of the members of this forum, have no problems with helping people out, it is part of the fun of this hobby. And I sympathise with you for having to deal with p.o.'ed people who demand you support them, you deal with it more diplomatically than I would ;-)

I understand drhydro. There are too many posts that say “I got this from ___________ and their “support” told me to come here and it does kind of piss me off too. I have no issues helping, but damn have your own support area if you are going to sell the product. They are basically a commercial version of Ebay

By the way….Gosatellite & FTAdirect are sister companies.

Iceberg said:
By the way….Gosatellite & FTAdirect are sister companies.
Ahhhhhh didnt know that. Someone should tell them to clean up their website, I got hit with 4 popups the second I went there.

Scott Greczkowski said:
We are here to help folks, I have no problem with that, but we are NOBODY'S official support site and in no way should any company be passing us off as their Tech Support site.

Well said.

Also, nice avatar Scott. "Tuesday's coming, did you bring your coat?"

drhydro said:
Ahhhhhh didnt know that. Someone should tell them to clean up their website, I got hit with 4 popups the second I went there.

yep. When you order from either site, if you are in the US it comes from gosatellite.net and if you are a Canuck it comes from ftadirect
(learned that when I got the Coolsat 4000 from them a while back) :)

When I got the Satworks 3618, I knew nothing about what was going on. I called the supplier that I bought it from to ask questions, they told me all kinds of things, right or wrong. The best one was when the tech told me that the "age of the backhaul is gone, you won't see those anymore." Still laughing at that one.
Anyway, I would rather be sent to a site where the people have some idea of what is going on then be told some "bul*sh*it just to get rid of me. It was right after that when I found this site. My new supplier told me he didn't normally help non customers and I told him if you help me, you will have a customer. He helped me learn the 3618 so thats why I bought the 1080 from him. He has bent over backwards to make me happy. Between this site and him, I half way know what I am doing.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)