Why are some people mosquito magnets?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

NotMe546

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 4, 2008
If you feel as if every mosquito in a 50-mile radius has you locked in its sights, while your friends are rarely bitten, you could be right. Up to 20 percent of us are highly alluring to mosquitoes—and scientists have discovered some surprising reasons.

“Both your metabolism and your unique body chemistry—which is as distinctive as a fingerprint—play an important role in determining whether or not you’re a mosquito magnet,” says University of Florida entomology professor Dr. Phil Koehler. “Also, there’s evidence that your degree of attractiveness to mosquitoes can change over time.”

Here are some intriguing discoveries about why some of us are particularly tasty targets for the tiny vampires:

Mosquitos prefer blood type O

That's why they love me.

Mosquitos love me.:D (and my Dad) They hardly ever went near my Mom.
Thanks for the post!

On the lunch menu, I'm probably an 8 out of 10 since the blood-suckers always seemed to have an appetite for Team Riff. As a kid, I though that I had a more adverse reaction to mosquito bites because I was always one of the first ones scratching. Along the way I figured they simply preferred my pheromones since the bites went away pretty quickly if I didn't scratch them, and I would be itching while friends and family members were unscathed.

When I started dating my wife back in 2000, I remember we were out on the deck when I noticed a swarm of the flying varmints feasting on her flesh...while they left me completely unsucked. I know, I know, it doesn't sound very good for a recent bachelor...but it was! Since we met I rarely worry about being bitten by mosquitoes when we're together outdoors...they love her pheromones and completely ignore me. To be honest, I agree with the mosquitoes...never met anyone who I could actually snuzzle with all night. Anyway, don't tell the missus, but her ability to draw insects away from me was a huge selling point in my proposing marriage. :D

Mosquitoes stay away from me. I haven't been bitten in I don't know how many years. I can walk into a swarm of them and they will literally hover an inch above my skin and not come any closer.

Mosquitoes stay away from me. I haven't been bitten in I don't know how many years. I can walk into a swarm of them and they will literally hover an inch above my skin and not come any closer.

Eat lots of garlic do you? :D

Thanks for sharing. My dad used to tell me to chew on the end of a matchstick, but I think he was just seeing if I'd do it because you was always covered in bites too. I know my father-in-law never seems to have a problem with bites, but he eats a whole lot onions and garlic, which might be why he gets on fine when it comes to these things.

i'm very taste type not only mosquitoes but fleas too will come for miles to snack. really killed camping for me long ago.

Anyway, don't tell the missus, but her ability to draw insects away from me was a huge selling point in my proposing marriage. :D
really ?
and you have not told her this ? or she knows?

heck my wife liked i was the victim but was not a huge selling point

Well, I'm in that 20% as well. I can't go out of the house without getting bit multiple times. I have tried just about every bug spray there is and none of them work. I even go outside with no kind of lotion on and switched my body wash. Nothing works for me.

I guess it's time to post my old VOOM Mosquito Noise pic. I miss Voom.

Attachments

• MosquitoNoiseHD.gif
    MosquitoNoiseHD.gif
    25.2 KB · Views: 177
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)