Why are the rental movies so expensive?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
It makes no sense to me. I get about 1 movie a week from blockbuster for free( I paid $10 for Platinum and the same for Blockbuster Movie Pass). They have to pay postage to/from me. Yet if I wanted the same BluRay quality movie from Dish VOD, I have to pay $6.99 for HD. So I believe I am saving about $28 per month. They also have to pay for distribution centers and employee cost. Maybe someone needs to explain to us what the equivalent digital storage cost and transmission cost of VOD compares to the physical disc business.

it would be nice if they brought back those .99 movies for a week,weekend or something like that.
Vudu has $.99 daily specials and Amazon has $1.99 weekend specials. Guess where I go on those rare times I rent VOD movies? ;) Those services get some VOD money from me. Dish doesn't get any.

IMHO, before the explosion of RedBox, Netflix (old content), and other Over The Top, Dish probably did get big revenue from PPV, and maybe even VOD. But I just can't see that old 2001 model holding true today. I have to believe Charlie wants to price his VOD and PPV competitively, but the studios WON'T allow it. Yes, as was stated in an earlier post, this is about Hollywood on a physical media destroying RAMPAGE. Even that LUDICROUS Cloud service at Wal-Mart where you get to pay AGIAN to see the content you've already paid for and "own" (have rights to view, anyway). Hollywood wants you to ditch the disc and enter their world in the cloud for everything because it's cheaper for them, greatly reduces the risk of piracy, they presume, and they have full control of what you purchase. But Hollywood still likes to squeeze the MVPD's simply because they can.

Yes, the smart move would be to just dump the PPV and even VOD--if at the current prices on Dish--and Charlie use the "devalued content" argument here, as well, as most folks, I believe, DON'T want to pay MPVD prices for PPV and VOD, but the MVPD's are afraid to drop such services for fear of driving MORE people to Over The Top or kiosks. Of course, let's remember that even the vaunted Netflix has hardly any NEW movie or TV content. It's all about the past, and most people want the latest Hollywood movies, and even fanboys of Netflix HATE this about their streaming service.

Last edited:
My point was that the answer to the OP's question can be found in Dish's perception of the value of their revenue stream. If that changes, as with any retailer, they will look for another model. The prices are still high, today.

Dishman1978 said:
Its the price of convienence. Sit on your ass and push a button, versus get up, go to your car, put your key in the ignition, turn the key....oh crap battery is dead.....charge battery, drive to a red box, oh snap, none are available, drive to another redbox, yippeee its here!!!! Get back into car, crap!!! Why's my battery dead again??? Call AAA. Pay for new battery, give guy 20 dollar tip for changin battery. Drive home, run over neighbors cat, drop cat off at nieghbors house in brown paper bag. Go home....ih snap too late to watch movie. Watch movie next night. To late to return movie. Next day comes have to attend cat funeral to pay your respects. Return redbox....3 days fees??? I thought it was 99 cents not 3 dollars. Oh im late. Plus gas....

:)
but seriously you can reserve from your phone or computer and pick it up while doing errands or on the way home from work....

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROID RAZR Maxx using SatelliteGuys

rapidturtle said:
If Hollywood really wants to force us away from physical media, then shouldn't PPV be cheaper than Redbox?

It should be considering the cost is less but hollywood greed has no bottom plus if they do cheap vod or ppv rentals then they can't justify these high prices going forward. Plus keep in mind that Hollywood don't control redbox directly. That's why they want everything digital...& they have make sure that the same rules that apply to physical is not applicable in digital.

E-Books now cost at least as much as print copies, mainly because they weren't making money selling them for less. People who bought them for half-price will also buy them for full-price. I'm sure the reason E* charges what they do for PPV/VOD is for similar reasons--people that will but them for $3.99 will also buy them for $6.99.

patmurphey said:
My point was that the answer to the OP's question can be found in Dish's perception of the value of their revenue stream. If that changes, as with any retailer, they will look for another model. The prices are still high, today.

Agree!

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROID RAZR Maxx using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)