Why are these dishes so flimsy?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

satcustomer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 19, 2006
California
I have a 90cm Fortec Star dish. Why don't they manufacture this dish with a solid support for the LNB arm like they do for the 100cm Fortec Star dish? The LNB arm bounces around too much with the wind. Is there a more solidly built 90cm dish out there?

Many dishes also have some holes around their edges. Two aluminum arms could be added cheaply and it wouldn't budge.:hatsoff:

As crazy as it may sound, I think I'll loop some dental floss or picture wire thru the side holes on the dish and attach them around the LNB arm for support.

LordAlex said:
Many dishes also have some holes around their edges. Two aluminum arms could be added cheaply and it wouldn't budge.:hatsoff:

So for my 90cm I can get an arm support and it will cause no problems with reception? I just want to have them for future support.

On an offset dish most all of the signal comes from the portion above the LNB. Home Depot sells aluminum stock in 36" in lenghts that could eaasily be made into some side supports like the shown in the other replies.

:hatsoff:

satcustomer said:
As crazy as it may sound, I think I'll loop some dental floss or picture wire thru the side holes on the dish and attach them around the LNB arm for support.

Sure wont hurt to try. My guess is the vibrations are multiple directions and that you will probably need something a little more stiff. Uncoated brass brazing rod is even cheaper than aluminum, comes in 36" and easy to bend. I buy mine at harbor Freight tools.

:hatsoff:

I am using that plastic stuff you use to put in a weed wacker to hold my lnb arm in place. Other ends are in the holes in the dish... tied together at the back and attached to the base of the mount.

For light weight try the elements off of an old TV antenna. This will be extremely light weight and gives support for both pulling and pushing. If you have a local shop that services antennas, they will probable have a few old antennas piled up ready to go the scrap yard.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing when I get around to replacing the current lnb with an Invacom QPH-031. I understand these ones have some heft to them and I'm worried about throwing the arm alignment out of whack.

Those folding lawn chairs have nice small diameter steel tubing. There's always one out in the garbage as the plastic parts break easily. Just cut to length, hammer the ends flat and drill a hole for the fastener. I used that material to reinforce my base mount with an extra two arms screwed to the rafters.

What I really hate about the dishes isn't so much the arm that's flimsy as those darn bolts. You turn just a little too tight and the heads will pop right off.

mastermesh said:
What I really hate about the dishes isn't so much the arm that's flimsy as those darn bolts. You turn just a little too tight and the heads will pop right off.

Funny you mention that! This happened to me today - was tightening a U-bolt /w small ratchet (5-6" handle length) and sheared u-bolt off right at nut!!! I think they make these bolts out of the lowest grade of steel out there. I think I will be investing in some nice stainless hardware tomorrow :)

Even primestars can break... When I started messing with mine I didn't realize that that really long elevation bolt that sticks out the top was attached to another bolt on the side. I started turning the one on the side and the elevation bolt started bending like crazy. By the time I figured out what has happening it was too late, and I had to actually bust the thing to get it out because there was no way to get that long bolt back in to shape.... main reason if I ever do anything with the p* I'm going to re do all the mounting on the back with the mounting from an 18"

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)