Why can't I watch TV when the guide downloads.

reddice

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 13, 2004
Brooklyn, New York, United States
My guide seems to always get corrupted at least once a month on my 612 with only 13 timers most inactive. The other three 612's one with over 80 timers most active never corrupts and the other ones either.

Last month I had to run a check switch. Well today I put on the receiver and go into the guide and it only has two days and that it has to retrieve the guide. Well the stupid thing took over 15 minutes. It started out fast and just stayed there frozen for many minutes. I could not even watch TV or anything. Why can it just use the other free tuner to download the guide and why does it have to download such a huge guide over the satellite. Why can't it download over Ethernet and why does it have to download guide info for channels I don't get like Locals in Omaha. :mad:

May be you need to ask DISH'S engineers why they designed their system to operate this way? Why do you think common customers would know the answer to your question?

Sounds like a job for the People From DIRT!

Sounds like a good question. Also sounds like a bad STB.

Short answer is the 612 is a piece of junk. If you have 4 and only 1 is giving you problems then you are lucky. Get a different receiver. I had my sister replace her problem laden 612 with a 722, 2 weeks ago, when Dish sent a tech out for the same problem you're having.

We will have to disagree. It is junk. She went through 4 of them over the last 2 years. Missing recordings, guide not downloading, freeze ups, go to delete 1 episode and it would delete the entire folder, etc... Even the tech agreed with me, junk. It was sitting out in the open with nothing around it, on top of stand by itself. I did all the wiring myself, as it was new construction. Tech checked everything and nothing wrong except receiver. Junk, Junk, Junk :)

You need to talk to Dirt or someone, because they gave her a 722 and it is only connected to one tv. Just like her other 722 receiver in the living room.

The 612 is not junk. I been using it for years. Anyway Dish would not give me a 722 because they will only hook it up to two TV's.

Don't know where you got that idea. I have two ViP722 units, and both are connected to a single TV apiece.

You might want to look closely at the Hopper/Joey units.

Last week my 612 started to have similar guide issues daily. I went in to do a check switch and noticed two selections, one for "Super Dish" and one for "Alternate." Only "Alternate" was selected. Selected "Super Dish" as well, ran the check switch and all was well. It hasn't had a problem since. Maybe worth a try?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts