Why Didn't Dish Put HD Camera on Sattellite?

pduncan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 13, 2006
Seems like Dish missed one heck of an opportunity my not putting an HD or better camera on the satellite. The quality of the Dish earth channel really sucks at best.

Maybe they didn't want anyone accusing them of being a Peeping Tom, some people forget to pull the shades.

They wanted to give some people something to complain about, and those people have taken the opportunity.

Ouch, Jon...... that hurt. Thought thats what sites like this are for... to speak your mind...... or not to...

Satellites take YEARS to plan and build. Perhaps the camera had been built in from a very early design stage. I'd bet that E* is planning a 1080i setup for Echo 14, and that'll give us an HD feed. (and a different angle, too!)

Seems like Dish missed one heck of an opportunity my not putting an HD or better camera on the satellite. The quality of the Dish earth channel really sucks at best.
Excellent point. With the low frame rate, it's not as though they're losing much bandwidth.

But even more important than resolution is some sort of aperture control. Most of the time (in fact whenever I've tuned in), you (or rather I) can't see squat.

do you really think dish put that camera on their just so we could have the channel? nope. check out Give The World . this is the payout for the investment of the camera and its feed. dish probably just put the feed avail for us to see since they were already sending the feed anyways. i still dont know why they dont advertise Give The World on the channel

btw, Give The World is a site that will make photos of the earth on any day you choose, they can even backdate it to when the feed started, and caption the photo for you with a personalized message. used for birthdays, weddings, etc . pretty cool idea actually.

Forgive me. I know that the Dish Earth channel was coming but I didn't realize it is live. Where can I find it?
Ch. 212

Dish didn't use a higher quality camera because of money.

I really don't know why they put one on the sat in the first place...

Satellites take YEARS to plan and build. Perhaps the camera had been built in from a very early design stage. I'd bet that E* is planning a 1080i setup for Echo 14, and that'll give us an HD feed. (and a different angle, too!)

I didn't see anything in the FCC filing on Echostar 14 about a camera.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts