Why Dish is losing a 10+ year customer

compcond

Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
Los Angeles
Last Thursday I had surgery on my right foot; it’s out of commission for 6-10 weeks. I got home from the surgery center about 4:00 and my Hopper (no pun intended) died about 3 hours later. I called tech support who told me she had just dealt with 3 other customers who had the identical problem that day. She told me she was expediting a new receiver which I would receive on Friday. After power cycling about 6 times (not easy given that I only have one leg) we finally got it back on line. She said she was sending out a replacement anyway since it was probably going to fail again. Friday passed with no delivery.

Saturday? Nope.

I was supposed to return to work today (with the assistance of a driver) but stayed home to wait for your receiver. Um… nope.

I just spoke with a representative who candidly told me that the receiver was never shipped. He told me he would enter another order. I told him not to. There is a slight possibility I may have said some things that would make Lisa Lampanelli cringe.

I have been waiting for the Hopper 3 to come out. Now I’m waiting for DirecTV to come out.

Last edited:
Ok, let's get back to the part where you got your Hopper back up and running....so you are taking pains, figuratively and literraly, to receive something you don't really need after all?

Multiple customers experienced same issues that the reason replacement was not sent. (reps probably didn't realize the issue at first ) But you receiver was fine after reboot. Hope you enjoy your new provider and contract.

Multiple customers experienced same issues that the reason replacement was not sent. (reps probably didn't realize the issue at first ) But you receiver was fine after reboot. Hope you enjoy your new provider and contract.

The receiver began working after about 6 reboots, not one.

AND leaving Dish because they didn't send something that wasn't needing to be sent. Also he didn't have to stay home for a delivery...

When the rep says "It's probably going to fail again so I'm sending out a replacement" that, to me, means "it's probably going to fail again."

I don't know how common it is on the hoppers, but my 622 goes into endless reboot loops that look like the HD is failing when the internet at my house gets flaky. Why, I don't know. I figured it out several years ago by accident. If you attempt to explain the symptoms to the average first line CSR, they will assume the HD is failing and nearly insist on sending a tech out with a replacement. This happened to me at about the same time frame as described above when Time Warner Cable / RoadRunner / Earth Link, all suffered a brief, but massive outage at about 11am eastern. The receiver was in a reboot loop. After the 5th reboot, I figured it had to be the internet. The first thing I did was disconnect the LAN cable. Then pulled the plug for 30 seconds, then plug it back in. When it booted up, it worked fine. When the internet came back up and remained stable a few minutes later, I plugged the LAN cable back in and everything is fine.

If I cancelled or stopped doing business with every company and entity who suffer from "confusion" I would have no access to any goods or services. Our huge mix-up "confusion" where is our shutters we were supposed to have gotten by now via Lowe's and then all the trouble . . . of course it was too convenient and easy for there NOT to be a messed up order. Eventually--WEEKS LATER--it was found sitting in the warehouse of the manufacturer.

OK, I was ticked, and I will think twice before going through Lowe's, but then we all know Home Depot has just as likely a chance of the same screw-up; THEY ALL DO! As for Dish, I really don't get the OP's decision to leave, presuming he was happy with his equipment and pricing. Does he really think DirecTV, TiVo, and all the cable companies don't commit the same stupid screw-ups of their own. I invited the OP to read the TiVo Community Forum, the DirecTV Forum and all the forums relating to all the MSO's Uverse, and FiOS, and you will find the same sorts of experiences and complaints. I have to say that, unfortunately, what Dish did is par for the course for ANY company in our modern era. Just as long as it finally starts to work and it aint a costing me more money, I aint a cancelling nothing with whichever company because I know the grass is no greener on the other side.

Welcome to the 21st century and its legions of undependable companies and services. We just have to suffer through and soldier on.

I had a problem with an H2K that required replacement last week. I'm a good customer and asked for overnight shipment but got 2-4 day UPS. I got it 3 days later but I got emails from Dish and UPS when it was shipped and status reports during transit. The shipping status is also on the online account. Yesterday I got tired of some of the buttons on both 4 year old Hopper remotes wearing and requiring extra attention. Checked Ebay, cheapest 40.0 was $14 with shipping, checked Dish site, $20 each. Called, explained that the remotes were 4 years old and wearing, scored 2 freebies arriving tomorrow.

I think compcond has a very valid reason to complain. I don't know if is the only problem he has had with Dish Network or if this is just 1 of many.

When I installed my Hopper 3 and activated a month ago everything was fine. I was able to leave my 722K on my account even after activating the Hopper 3.
I then asked 2 DIRT members here on satelliteguys.us to verify my updated bill. The first reply I was updated on my bill and nothing was said about my 722K.
The second DIRT rep replied not to my question but told me that I could not have a 722K and a Hopper 3 on the same account that it was against\
Dish Network's policy. I got pissed and rant and raved here on Satelliteguys.us threatening to leave. I even told the DIRT rep I was cancelling my service
and also told a customer service manager on the phone that I was cancelling.

The problem I had was the culmination of customer service rep problems I had had in the last several weeks at that time. But after talking to some "cooler heads"
I stayed with Dish Network.

Anyway I received EMAILs telling me of all the changes I made to the account during the change over to the Hopper 3. As someone else stated above they receive EMAILs
from Dish about their orders. compcond didn't say if he received any EMAILs about the new receiver not being shipped. He should have been kept updated by Dish Network
even through and automated EMAIL or telephone call about the status of his order no matter what. this just illustrates that Dish Network customer service is not the best. I look
at it this way as in buying a new car. My Dish experience as with my car buying experience is only about 10% when I make my purchase. Customer service IMHO is 90%
of the total experience. Whether I get freebees or a good deal is not what I remember. I remember having to take my car back to the dealer 2 or 3 times to get the same
problem fixed. I remember not being told by at least 3 Dish Network customer service reps that I couldn't keep my 722K on my account with my new Hopper 3. I remember
Dish Network deactivating a receiver when I asked them to deactivate a different receiver with a different receiver and smart card code which I confirmed with this
customer service rep 3 times.

I've been with Dish Network for 15+ years. My recent problems with customer service are just the many I have had over these years. Dish Network really needs to take
their customer service a lot more seriously as do a lot of companies I've or my friends have dealt with recently. If Dish Network says they are going to ship a receiver, even
though it was found that it wasn't a receiver problem, LET THE CUSTOMER KNOW. It may not satisfy the customer in the long run but at least the company "shows"
it "cares" for their customers even if in reality the customer is just a number and it's just common courtesy.

OK I'll get off of my soap box now.

Reactions: papachops
It is unfortunate that a receiver wasn't shipped when you were told that it was shipped. And for this to occur at the same time you are recovering from a surgery must certainly add a heapful of angst to the frustration.

However, it sounds like your receiver is working right now. My 722k suffered from a fit once, but continues to chug on now, over six months later. If your Hopper is working, and you like the options Dish provides to you, it would be silly to just cut and leave. You are certainly in your right to go online and complain about the situation and maybe even get a little money back (I'm think $5 a month for 6 months), for your frustration. When I say online, I mean DIRT here.

Ok, let's get back to the part where you got your Hopper back up and running....so you are taking pains, figuratively and literraly, to receive something you don't really need after all?
May or may not need is kind of irrelevant if the rep did state that the replacement was being sent. It has a good chance of failing again, and if were me I would prefer the peace of mind of having a new box. Being that the OP missed another day of work based on the word of the dish rep, I can certainly see the rub. I might not cancel service over it,but I can understand the frustration.

If the OP really did what he says and got Directv he wanted to anyway this was a good excuse. Missing work was his idea not DISH. The same call he made after missing work is the call that should have been made before missing it.

Reactions: peggy97850
I would have checked here first and saw that others were having the same problem. Then I would have sat back and waited for it to start working again. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)