why do channels not show up in the guide???

Well it didn't used to be that way.I suppose they hide them to save b/width or something but years ago every channel whether subbed or not was in the guide unless you hid or blocked them yourself.

If you go to the other forum, do a search on the Dish forum for posts a year ago and older, you find posts going back many years discussing this and that some channels for whatever reason never showed in the guide if not subscribed.

Tampa8 said:
If you go to the other forum, do a search on the Dish forum for posts a year ago and older, you find posts going back many years discussing this and that some channels for whatever reason never showed in the guide if not subscribed.

it would also depend if they are on any sats your signal comes from as well

Dan188 do you subscribe to the superstations? If not, is channel 235 in your guide? Is channel 246 in your guide? I know Superstations have never been in the guide if you do not subscribe, it was always discussed because people didn't even know they existed till they came to the forums. I just don't know if that has changed. And channel 246 is AAD, I can't imagine that shows up, it never did unless you subscribe.
I have 235 in red but no 246.

I would guess that is true.

Perhaps there were some,but dating back to the 3000/4000 models for us and other family members and neighbors those particular boxes showed channels that weren't subbed in red.The changes started coming about when they started adding so many locals.I don't go to the other forum.:D

Yes, but not really what I am getting at. As the Dish CSR in this thread said, some are in the guide some are not even if it is on a satellite you get. It has always been that way, not every channel is in RED if you don't get it. I don't think we can post a link to a thread in the other forum, but this is a post from March, 2002. One of many that talk about channels not normally or not being in the guide.

"There is some interesting weirdness going on in my 721's EPG!

Right now I am seeing the following in the epg of my legitamately subscribed 721:
104 Bingo TV (normally hidden in Ohio)
123 FREE 1 (Pirate TV)
196 FREE 3 )Pirate TV)
199 CRDEX (Card Exchange Video)
230 TBS (This channel was moved a while ago!)
237 WNET (PBS NYC)
249 PBS (Normally hidden in my EPG since I do not qualify for this channel)
257 SPRKY (No Info)

322 SHOEX is in bright blue on the EPG instead of red or "gray"

324 FREE 7 Pirate TV

327 TMC-E is also bright blue

I do not subscribe to OOM sports and the following are in the EPG

410 Altitude
413 FoxNY
414 FoxRM
418 FoxMW
422 Sun
434 NESN
436 FoxN

452 Alt 7 (this is not supposed to be avalilable to anyone

I do not subscribe to Dish Latino and am able to get
820 Fiesta Mexicana on this channel (not normal)
822 Latino Mix (should not be available to me)

The following show as available (Not normal) but cannot tune in (which is as it should be)
836 Telemundo West
840 TVEI
850 KTNC (Azteca)
854 ESPN Deportes
862 De Pelicula
875 BET
883 Wisdom
888 Discovery Kids
898 TMC West

Seeing and being able to tune in to the following in the EPG
920 Envoe (true elevator music! Very low-fi)
932 METRO
942 Tejano (which should be Texano ( the X and J in spanish have the same sound)
4000 KCNC TV (Black acreen)
5500 TST_5 (Latin Styles Muzak)

The following are showing up in the EPG but cannot tume in:
6210 PBS
7220 KSPR Look...Farscape is on!
8009 KVEA
8106 WNET
9069 KWGN
9125 WKBW
9500 iWeather (this channel was removed some time ago)'
9509 ATOOL (Can actually tune in to this one I see an openTV menu with the following options: 1)Apps on HD, 2) App versions, 3) Quota Table, 4)All Packages, 5) Reserved, 6) Reserved, 7) Panic Button, 0) Cancel

selecting any of these doesn't seem to do anything though I did end up at channel 4000 when I came out of this channel

9943 SOON2
9983 ETC 3

I think the (A) in the uplink reports means "available" whether or not you subscribe, while the (H) means "hidden from non-subscribers". The big red (NA) of course means only those with engineering receivers can see them. Tampa8 is talking about the hidden channels.

Well my point wasn't just that, it was also that there's no consistency as to what appears in the guide and what doesn't! The latest example: my free year of Starz just ran out. Everything disappeared except for Starz Black, which is still there but in green. Why just Starz Black? Why not the main channel, or the whole package? (Note: I didn't check the 4-digit channels, if Starz even has 4-digit channels, but even if they're there, this one, with 3 digits, is still an anomaly.)

Don't feel to bad, we just lost 21 HD channels from the Platinum Package which is now available but as Blockbuster and WE in Puerto Rico are NOT AUTHORIZED to receive them. And I have been with DISH for 15 years. Nine days for cutting the LNB cables and fire sale to all my Six OWNED VIP receivers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)