Why do I have to reboot my HR34 every 4 to 5 days??

Status
Please reply by conversation.
well a recording got over so I could check now
1-8 100 90 100 100 100 100 100 96
9 100

Attachments

• PICT0085.JPG
    PICT0085.JPG
    840 KB · Views: 113
There's certainly nothing wrong with those signals.
My best guess is still an intermittent connector issue somewhere. Getting the wrong channel on an SWM system nearly always means something is interfering with the low-band control signal between the receiver and the SWM module. It could of course be a faulty SWM module....
What's between the HR34 and the SWM module? Just cable and connectors?

What's between the HR34 and the SWM module? Just cable and connectors?
I dont know as there are boxes down there that are locked. I did post what I could see a while back and it was just an amp and some splitters
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/299254-Yay!-I-get-to-keep-my-HR34

All I can see is where the cables come from the SWM setup and connect to the apartments. When I had the issue where it would go out every other day I swapped wires down there (there were 5 or 6 "open" lines that weren't connected to anything) and switched barrel connector to a 3GHZ (blue) connector. It worked for a week (Wed to last Wed when we got the software upgrade) and last night it started acting up again while watching the Aussie Open channels. It gave the "searching 771" popup while the channel played fine. Switched to local Fox and would get the same glitch. Then it started acting up as I mentioned above (where USA showed my local NBC)

I dont know as there are boxes down there that are locked. I did post what I could see a while back and it was just an amp and some splitters
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/299254-Yay!-I-get-to-keep-my-HR34

All I can see is where the cables come from the SWM setup and connect to the apartments. When I had the issue where it would go out every other day I swapped wires down there (there were 5 or 6 "open" lines that weren't connected to anything) and switched barrel connector to a 3GHZ (blue) connector. It worked for a week (Wed to last Wed when we got the software upgrade) and last night it started acting up again while watching the Aussie Open channels. It gave the "searching 771" popup while the channel played fine. Switched to local Fox and would get the same glitch. Then it started acting up as I mentioned above (where USA showed my local NBC)

It says it but you're still watching tv? 771? Or 771B or 776? Sounds like you're on somebody else's splitter and burning up to many tuners with that big nasty of yours

No, it does not seem to be that, that's why I asked for the SWM readings. If there were any other tuners on that SWM they would show up as zero signal in the test. Of course, it's always possible there is someone else with an HR34 which happened to be disconnected when iceberg ran the test but that's unlikely.
It says it but you're still watching tv? 771? Or 771B or 776? Sounds like you're on somebody else's splitter and burning up to many tuners with that big nasty of yours

yep it will still play fine but show the "searching for satellite 771" in the corner. Usually when I see that its on the verge of crapping out with heaving pixeling (or stuttering) or if I choose a station I get something else

When this happens I'm not burning up too many tuners. I was watching TV.....all I have is the HR34 so only one tuner is being used

Last edited:
No, it does not seem to be that, that's why I asked for the SWM readings. If there were any other tuners on that SWM they would show up as zero signal in the test. Of course, it's always possible there is someone else with an HR34 which happened to be disconnected when iceberg ran the test but that's unlikely.

probably not. Remember this is (normally) through a 3rd party company and they give you either a D12 (SD), R16 (SD DVR) or a HR2X (HD DVR) so the most someone would be using is 2 tuners in the DVR's. But again the way this wiring is there is only one outlet for satellite so dont know how they do it if you get the "4 free receivers" (D12's) set up...what they put a splitter in your apartment?
Per their site they show just the HR2X for HD DVR
http://www.am3inc.com/directv/equipment

I dont know how many (or few) people have HD here

yep it will still play fine but show the "searching for satellite 771" in the corner. Usually when I see that its on the verge of crapping out with heaving pixeling (or stuttering) or if I choose a station I get something else

When this happens I'm not burning up too many tuners. I was watching TV.....all I have is the HR34 so only one tuner is being used

Just because you're only using 1 tuner doesn't mean that that's all the 34 is sucking. Yesterday I went to a house, guy had 4 H25's a 1 HR34, every time he turned on the tv after a few minutes it'd pop up so we would reset it and wait for awhile and boom there it was again.

Once I reset it (RBR only lets me fix it....when I start getting that popup the menu button wont work) it seems to work fine (lately) after that. Use to be like clockwork between days 4 and 5...now we went a week (until the software upgrade) and now 5+ days.

Just because you're only using 1 tuner doesn't mean that that's all the 34 is sucking. Yesterday I went to a house, guy had 4 H25's a 1 HR34, every time he turned on the tv after a few minutes it'd pop up so we would reset it and wait for awhile and boom there it was again.

That's 9 tuners. The SWM will only support 8.
The point I made about the SWM signals is that if someone else was using the SWM you would see that with some zero signals on the SWM signal screen.

Interesting what kind of info you get when the right people answer the phone :)

First I called Access Media 3 and explained that I "was thinking of moving" and said I already had D*. She told me I needed to cancel my D* account and sign up with them and was very rude. I said "what if I want to keep my existing account" and she said "If you give them (D*) that address that we own they'll shut you off because trey can't sell to that address. We do". She got abruptly hung up on ;)

So I called D* retention and spoke to a guy who knew his stuff. I told him I "was looking at apartments" ;) and talked about the 3rd party. I was wondering if I was on the hook for a ETF because of going to a 3rd party. He knew about Access Media and he explained that those companies use their own techs (not D* techs) but if I wanted to I could call that 3rd party and they would do a move (and I'd still have my existing contract of a year left). But he was worried about if they supported the Genie or not. Guy knew his stuff :) I did give him the address to verify it was a MDU account through Access Media 3 and he gave me their number (same as I had). He also mentioned that if someone moves from a MDU to a regualr place Directv can do moves like that too....He told me to call and ask them if they use a SWIM setup (I know they do) and whether or not they support Genie (which even he was worried about).

Called Access Media 3 back and got the polar opposite of "the previous rep of hell". This rep was very friendly and explained how it would work. She said they "absolutely" support Genie BUT its a $200 install fee (instead of $50) due to "the complexity of how the Genie has to be set up". All I'd have to do is 3-5 days before I "move" ;) call them with the account number, Receiver # and access card # and they would do a move. It would be $18 for HD & DVR fee (but assume that will jump to $20 next month) and if I wanted any programming beyond the "free" Choice package. She also mentioned this building just got set up with them last summer so it sounded like they set it up with enough tuners available on the SWM setup.

so now to run some numbers if its cheaper to keep my existing setup/discounts or do the "move" to the 3rd party which would give me the option to complain to someone if it craps out but I'd lose all ability to call and try and get credits. :)

One other thing I forgot to mention that the D* guy told me is if I cancelled my D* account and went with the 3rd party company when they (AM3) work with D* to set up the account D* will show a recently cancelled account so there would be issues

I know I will jinx myself but so far so good...been a week now and no issues :)
Last night had 5 things going and no hiccups. Not even a "part of the program has been lost due to satellite loss 771" which I have gotten before.

Oh and I'm keeping my setup the way it is (illegal as someone put it) ;)
If I did apples to apples comparison for the year (Choice package) and put in credits I know I will get (referrals, HD credit) I would pay $120 MORE to go with the 3rd party. Sure the package is "free" but anything else is alacarte and there are no credits. So I'd pay $10 for HD and $8 (soon to be $10) for DVR. Also my DSL would go up $10 a month as I bundle. (get a $10 monthly credit on that)
If I did a current apples to apples (Xtra) it would be $250 MORE....Thats where they get ya. Sure Choice is free but Xtra is 18.99 more (?????) On regular plans its $7 more.

well knock on wood it will be 2 weeks tonight since I last had to reboot for issues
I did have to unplug it yesterday because from 2:30 until 6:00 last night all we had was locals (snow and ice on dish) and the Directv 9 TP's (6,8,14,16,22,24,30,32) so like a dumas I did a red button reboot trying to get the rest...Kept getting "searching for signal" while it tried to load guide then went to "searching 771"...so unplugged it til the morning (we did lose all satellite reception around 7:30 last night....0's even on the SD boxes)

(snow is off dish so we're back to cooking with propane)

well so far so good...3 weeks now
Maybe it was a bad coupler as I switched out both couplers I could access.

Or maybe someone else had issues and they came and fixed it ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.