Why do I have to reboot my HR34 every 4 to 5 days??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
OK I dont know if there truly will be an answer for this but hopefully an installer might know

I live in an apartment that has Directv throughout the complex (maybe 90 or so units). I posted before about it and someone mentioned a bunch of SWM32's probably.
In the month I've lived here like clockwork every 4 or 5 days I need to reboot the receiver because I lose signal.

Here is what happens (one of two things happen)
I'll be watching TV and all of a sudden I start getting real quick pixeling. Like less than 1/2 second. But you'll see the picture freeze then "bleed" back in with the picture. This happens on all channels regardless of satellite.....OR
I will change channels and it seems to be "stuck" on one satellite because I'll get a black screen or once in a while I'll get a different channel than what I'm watching. Like I'll tune to a local in HD and get say TruTV

If I check signal it starts showing 101's signals then after TP4 (which is a spotbeam so it shows 0) then the receiver starts showing 0 on all TP's and just freezes. I might be able to cycle through the satellites but sooner or later they'll just show 0 across the board. A reboot (red button is the only way) and it will work fine...4 or 5 days later same thing. I had to reboot it today and the last time it happened was last Wednesday night.

I know its a 5 LNB dish and a 95W dish for international. Assume a NonSWM setup because of the splitters and the SWM32 that are hidden.
101 mostly all upper 90's
110 95-98
119 ranges between 0 and 98 (I know there are spotbeams on 119)

I know the HD sats are not "iceberg happy" as 99c shows between 95 down to 87 or so
103ca is low...mostly all mid-upper 80s
103cb is low 90's

I can't ask the building manager because they use a 3rd party provider here (access3media) and I still have my Directv account set up using the HR34. I'm not paying $250 for a HD DVR ($200 for a HR2X and $50 for them to "install it") so I can pay $20 a month (the package is free....we have to pay HD & DVR if we have those) when my bill with credits isnt much more (and 5 tuners) ;)

I had a similar at the Apartment I live at. I would randomly get pixelation and then no signal in the evening. Reboot fixed it until the following night.

The tech was confused by the issue, as his meter showed no issues. He fixed it by replacing two barrel connectors, then he replaced the receiver because of another issue.

Ice my HR24 does the same thing. I think its something in the SWM system. But you saying yours isnt is not helping my thesis...LOL

Obviously it's possible your HR34 is faulty, but I would think it is more likely the problem is with the SWM equipment in the building. There will probably be SWM32s, splitters and amplifiers, and faults in any of them, plus all the cables/connectors, could be causing this. As an example, there might be a problem affecting just the higher SWM frequencies. You would not notice it until the HR34 used that particular SWM channel. Rebooting would change the SWM channels the HR34 is using and so the problem would disappear.

Berg - you're paying for your own account not part of the MDU, tell them you want you own slimline up top and a private cable run ;)

Seriously though, everything mentioned above is going to make that problem very tough to get a tech to isolate, and I wouldn't recommend breaking into their locked cabinets.

The tech was confused by the issue, as his meter showed no issues. He fixed it by replacing two barrel connectors, then he replaced the receiver because of another issue.

I did replace the wallplate here in the apartment (and the barrel connector) and yesterday did change out the barrel connector in the basement yesterday....that I can get to ;)

Obviously it's possible your HR34 is faulty,
hardly. I've had it since February and the 10 months at my house the only time I had to reboot it was due to software issues (like we've posted before). Never had it do it specifically on same amount of days until I moved here on 12/1 and hooked it up on 12/4 or so.

but I would think it is more likely the problem is with the SWM equipment in the building. There will probably be SWM32s, splitters and amplifiers, and faults in any of them, plus all the cables/connectors, could be causing this. As an example, there might be a problem affecting just the higher SWM frequencies. You would not notice it until the HR34 used that particular SWM channel. Rebooting would change the SWM channels the HR34 is using and so the problem would disappear.
Oh I'm sure it is the shoddy wiring here and all the splitters/amps etc.
I posted info on it here about when I moved in
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/299254-Yay!-I-get-to-keep-my-HR34?

Berg - you're paying for your own account not part of the MDU, tell them you want you own slimline up top and a private cable run ;)
exactly. I thought it over and it would cost me $250 for the HD DVR & "install" through the company + my contract fee (a year left) to get Choice programming free (I'd have to pay for the HD and the DVR fee). Instead I kept my HR34 and didnt change anything with D*
Damn I wish I could run my own dish setup :)

Seriously though, everything mentioned above is going to make that problem very tough to get a tech to isolate, and I wouldn't recommend breaking into their locked cabinets.
nobody will come out. I can't call D* because I'm sure when they pull up the address (if I changed it) they would show MDU setup. I can't call the 3rd party because they wont show me as a customer.

I'm not going in the cabinets. There are cameras down in the underground parking. ;)

exactly. I thought it over and it would cost me $250 for the HD DVR & "install" through the company + my contract fee (a year left) to get Choice programming free (I'd have to pay for the HD and the DVR fee). Instead I kept my HR34 and didnt change anything with D*
Damn I wish I could run my own dish setup :)

nobody will come out. I can't call D* because I'm sure when they pull up the address (if I changed it) they would show MDU setup. I can't call the 3rd party because they wont show me as a customer.

I'm not going in the cabinets. There are cameras down in the underground parking. ;)

The receivers are designed to see an almost direct signal from the antenna.
Now, typically for each "break" in the cable, there is about a 0.5db loss. Plus about the same amount of loss for every 100 feet of 3GHZ coa:mad: 60% shielding copper clad steel). If it's solid copper with 80 or 100% shielding loss will be somewhat less.
All of the switching and splitting has to have an signal quality.
As for the rest of the issues you're having, it appears you are quite a predicament.

See if your apartment manager will allow you to work with the 3rd party company on their behalf. Surely there has to be other customers in your complex with the same issue, plus with your extensive expertise you would be helping out the management with a perk the residents get by making it better.

He presumably can't do that because of his "illegal" installation.
See if your apartment manager will allow you to work with the 3rd party company on their behalf. Surely there has to be other customers in your complex with the same issue, plus with your extensive expertise you would be helping out the management with a perk the residents get by making it better.

highly unlikely. She still thinks that "SD" is the only way. When I was signing the paperwork to move in she shows me the brochure and says "you get 4 standard receivers for free. I don't know why you'd want anything above that".

I seriously have thought of calling them and signing up with the SD receiver so if I have issues with my HR34 and the wiring then I can call them ;)
(all I'd be out is $50 for install of said SD reciever)

He presumably can't do that because of his "illegal" installation.

its not illegal. I have selective hearing. I really didnt hear her properly when she said "here is the company we go though for Directv" :)
I havent called Directv to see what would happen if I did change the address to here.

I'm sure they (the building manager and the 3rd party company) figure who would pay "full price" for Directv when you can get it for "free". I've already posted why I have decided to stick with the HR34
-still have a year left on contract...lets see $240 term fee there
-sure the 3rd party is "free" but thats Choice + SD receiver. If I wanted a HD DVR is $250 + $20 a month (you have to pay the $10 HD and soon $10 DVR fee) and if I wanted to upgrade to Choice Xtra its $18.99 (even though the difference with the regular rates is like $8)

Well today is the 3rd day since I last rebooted it (I did that on the 1st to add the AM21 locals) and I did change out a barrel connector downstairs so we'll see

I was not trying to be negative. Just pointing out you can't really do anything with the building management because you are not supposed to be using their system. They have an MDU agreement with DirecTV and that means DirecTv will only deal with residents through the MDU manager.
its not illegal. I have selective hearing. I really didnt hear her properly when she said "here is the company we go though for Directv" :)
I havent called Directv to see what would happen if I did change the address to here.

I'm sure they (the building manager and the 3rd party company) figure who would pay "full price" for Directv when you can get it for "free". I've already posted why I have decided to stick with the HR34
-still have a year left on contract...lets see $240 term fee there
-sure the 3rd party is "free" but thats Choice + SD receiver. If I wanted a HD DVR is $250 + $20 a month (you have to pay the $10 HD and soon $10 DVR fee) and if I wanted to upgrade to Choice Xtra its $18.99 (even though the difference with the regular rates is like $8)

Well today is the 3rd day since I last rebooted it (I did that on the 1st to add the AM21 locals) and I did change out a barrel connector downstairs so we'll see

I wouldnt even call it a MDU account. Its through a 3rd party (access media 3) or in essence a reseller

well the receiver rebooted today......due to the software upgrade ;)
That was a week since the last reboot. I did go down last Wednesday in the basement and change barrel connector and actually grabbed an open line from the "satellite lock boxes" (there were 1/2 dozen or so lines that were just "there"...dont know what they are for but I hooked it up.
Seems to have helped

well the receiver rebooted today......due to the software upgrade ;)
That was a week since the last reboot. I did go down last Wednesday in the basement and change barrel connector and actually grabbed an open line from the "satellite lock boxes" (there were 1/2 dozen or so lines that were just "there"...dont know what they are for but I hooked it up.
Seems to have helped

Good to hear ice

well had to do a reboot tonight...watching TV and even though its fine get the "searching for signal 771" popup in the corner for 5-6 seconds then it goes away. Flipped to 242 (USA) and got my local NBC...

had to reboot it
then had to re-reboot it (had pixeling)
then delete all the OTA channels (message 750 not subscribed)
then redo antenna setup
and now it seems to be working

interesting as its been 5 days since the last reboot (last Wednesday with software upgrade)

oh well...back to the drawing board :)
th

What are your signal levels on the SWM channels? That might indicate an oversubscribed SWM system....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts