Why do people pick on Voom?

i'm a relatively new member to dish (about 6 months) and I love VOOM. i think they are worth the 10 bucks. as said before, they are tops in picture quality. and while there are a lot of repeats i've been really starting to find some gems on a lot of the voom channels. i think kung fu hd, monster hd, ultra hd, treasure and galllery offer plenty of compelling content. i think having them gives Dish an edge over most other providers too.

It is an interesting phenomenon that I attribute to the rabid behavior lately of demanding a particular channel at the expense of the ones that are felt to be last on that person's list.

Here is an example of the extreme and oblivious behavior:

SciFiHD - This channel was agonized over even though most viewers stated they wanted it for ONE SHOW. This means they will watch it once a week but complain about how Voom channels don't show new content more often than that.

Chiller - There is no CHiller HD channel but there is a demand for it even though MonstersHD is already up and this month the selections look quite good for the genre. Of course, Chiller SD shows older series type shows but those were not in HD and you can get the dvds.

As Pepper stated and is a very strong positive for Voom that I think should be carried to other HD channels:
"...no commercials, no constant channel logo, no popup ads for other programs, no stretched or upconverted content..."

One other observation from my perspective:
If you watch Voom on little tvs using the tv speakers, your experience is much like looking at the Grand Canyon on post cards while whistling.

If you watch Voom on a BIG SCREEN, ie... larger than 90", with a 5.1 surround sound system backed by 350 to 500 watts of 15hz subwoofer capability, your experience is quite different. The visual and aural treat that Voom channels provide weekly for those prime moments of home theater are an experience few other HD sources can match outside of a bluray disk.

Don't just watch HD - Experience HD.
How many people have a TV that is larger than 90"?

People who are happy never complains so it creates the myth that most people don't like Voom channels.

Similarly the other myth is that they don't get new content, they are quite few contents which were produced in 2008, It is unrealistic to expect new shows everyday.
That was the point I was going to make. More often than not, most of those that post on sites like this usually do so because they have an issue, problem, suggestion, question, or complaint. Very few are going to make a post simply to say, "I love....."

For those that had the original VOOM DBS system that may have changed their perception of TV forever, I will never forget them. I would never have built a Home Theater and when they went under I never thought I would have 79 HD channels in my lifetime. Yes I added DISH to my DirecTV service as a reward for picking them up and have been very pleased ever since. Sure they don't have a lot of new programming, but I do record and watch it, when there is. For those that have seen VOOM on someones TV (past DBS or DISH) it may have influenced them to buy a new HD set or add HD programing. We all should be glad for their service just like HD Net, since it moved HD to the main stream, even if you don't watch their programming!

I regularly hear people in this forum talk about how worthless the Voom channels are. I have to say that I think they are the most compelling set of HD channels I've ever seen anywhere, and I would be extremely sorry to see them go.

I honestly consider the Voom channels to be the best channels available to Dish Network subscribers in terms of PQ and interesting content. Every one of their channels reminds me of the Discovery Planet Earth series you can buy on Blu-Ray and HD DVD. The word spectacular comes to mind during almost every program I watch on Voom. It almost seems like they have better producers and directors for their programming than other HD channels.

So, Voom haters, what don't you like?

Edit: Yes I'm aware of the repetitive nature of the movie channels on Voom. I'm more interested in the non-movie Voom channels.

It's one thing to be aware of the repetitive nature of the movie channels on Voom and another to experience it over a 2-3 year period. In particular, Worldsport channel has been showing seniors' 1996 tennis matches since the beginning of 1997 and still continues to do so.

Having said that, I still agree that they are a compelling group of HD channels. The photography is fantastic and the HD quality is the best available from a provider. But the clincher is the 24/7 no commercial presentation.

I would definitely miss them if I ever defected from Dish.

I think its not quite as much "we hate VOOM" as "we think this bandwidth could be used more efficiently"... as in either show more variety on the VOOM channels, or reduce their # and consolidate their programming. But they tend to be very specialized and highly repetitive. No need to air the same program 10 (or more) times a week when 2-3 should satisfy any reasonable DVR traffic jam.

I knew Voom once, Voom was my friend, back then I liked it. . . .

That was until I got an HD DVR. Since I record just about everything, I find the Vooms playing the same shows over and over a waist of HD bandwidth.

I think they should downsize into a couple of good quality HD channels with few repeats, and then SELL the service like an other HBO or Showtime for say $5.95 a month to all DISH, DirecTV, and Cable customers.

With all the extra money coming in they could then afford to buy better programing making Voom, once again the HD leader that it once was.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts