Why do people pick on Voom?

How come nobody complains about DiscoveryHD repeating the same three-to-four hour block of programming every day?
Amen. I have said that since Voom DBS first went online. Very intelligent observation, you could say the same for HDnet. Even the major networks, ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX have entire seasons of repeats.

Why are all the VOOM channels blocked out "red" this morning? I have been watching and paying for them ever since they went up on E*. Info on them now says they are "subscription channels which have not purchased".

In the international front, they have been doing quite well. They are always producing new shows. Every month there are new movies and new shows. Some people just like to complaint about it but they produce lots of new content. March and april has been quite good. Lots of movies and new shows. I haven't been able to watch them all even if there are repeats. Those that do not like the repeats must be watching TV 24/7. I do not and it is welcome to see some of those content repeated since I miss it. Now that there is going to be more HD channels this will be a welcome strategy because there are only so much that can be recorded at the same time.

It is an interesting phenomenon that I attribute to the rabid behavior lately of demanding a particular channel at the expense of the ones that are felt to be last on that person's list.

Here is an example of the extreme and oblivious behavior:

SciFiHD - This channel was agonized over even though most viewers stated they wanted it for ONE SHOW. This means they will watch it once a week but complain about how Voom channels don't show new content more often than that.

Chiller - There is no CHiller HD channel but there is a demand for it even though MonstersHD is already up and this month the selections look quite good for the genre. Of course, Chiller SD shows older series type shows but those were not in HD and you can get the dvds.

As Pepper stated and is a very strong positive for Voom that I think should be carried to other HD channels:
"...no commercials, no constant channel logo, no popup ads for other programs, no stretched or upconverted content..."

One other observation from my perspective:
If you watch Voom on little tvs using the tv speakers, your experience is much like looking at the Grand Canyon on post cards while whistling.

If you watch Voom on a BIG SCREEN, ie... larger than 90", with a 5.1 surround sound system backed by 350 to 500 watts of 15hz subwoofer capability, your experience is quite different. The visual and aural treat that Voom channels provide weekly for those prime moments of home theater are an experience few other HD sources can match outside of a bluray disk.

Don't just watch HD - Experience HD.

I love Voom. Even with all the repeats, I sill have not managed to watch all the shows that I want to see. Treasure is actually a pretty good channel, and of course Equator and Gallery.

Voom does not produce nearly the amount of new material like Discovery, History, NatGeo, etc, though. Those channels are constantly airing new shows/episodes even with their repetitive nature. Voom produces a tiny fraction of new material in comparison.

However, I LOVE the lack of commercials on Voom. I also love Science and Discovery, but I wont leave the TV on those channels on a saturday morning because of the commercials...too jarring on the tranquility of my weekend. I DVR the shows with commercials. I WILL plop the TV on Equator and Gallery though...nice to have that type of material on in the background of my weekend.

Voom (MOnstershd) is the main reason why I went to E* from D*. I just wish more $ would be put into these channels. Since Charlie owns some part of Voom why doesn't he provide some $ to make this happen? Still in its cuurent state I'm happy with what they provide.

Hmmm, the lack of negative comments about Voom on this thread leads me to believe maybe most people really do like Voom. I've just read a few posts in other threads saying the bandwidth could be better served with more mainstream HD channels similar to TBS that we get now. FX, Speed, etc... My reaction to that has always been to wonder why anyone would want a channel that shows a few programs in HD but also includes lots of SD content as opposed to dedicated HD channels like those on Voom. I guess it has to do with main stream programming.

Hopefully both will come to fruition without either paying the price at the others expense.

People who are happy never complains so it creates the myth that most people don't like Voom channels.

Similarly the other myth is that they don't get new content, they are quite few contents which were produced in 2008, It is unrealistic to expect new shows everyday.

If you like boobs and I'm sure the majority here does then those two shows on the Voom channels called "Get Out and Deadline" are pretty interesting to say the least. Some Voom channels like World I never watch because I only speak southern english but their cool channels to show off to your friends who are HD clueless.

After this week though it's hard to complain too much with all of us getting three new HD channels in CNN, USA, and Scifi.

If you like boobs and I'm sure the majority here does then those two shows on the Voom channels called "Get Out and Deadline" are pretty interesting to say the least. Some Voom channels like World I never watch because I only speak southern english but their cool channels to show off to your friends who are HD clueless.

After this week though it's hard to complain too much with all of us getting three new HD channels in CNN, USA, and Scifi.
Actually that would be HDNet ;)

Actually, I think VOOM has some of the more interesting programming on the Dish network. Everything else is pretty much mainstream which is not to say that's bad but I like the alternatives VOOM provides.

For those among us that bash Voom there is a simple solution. Try to expand your thirst for HD. Open up new horizions. I've shown Voom to friends that are looking at D*, shocked to see these commercial free, 24/7 HD choices that THEY DON'T GET........I just smile and issue words of sympathy. I'm thrilled that E* is adding more SD/HD choices. There is room for improvement in programming content with every service. What little I've been able to enjoy viewing the last 2 additions to HD, I could be dissapointed with what has been shown....but when the programs were in true HD, can't complain. I'm looking forward to the next chance that I have to expand my horizons....

Voom Movies

Am I the first to note that as of yesterday various Voom channels are advertising a new one premiering May 1st, "Voom Movies?":)

OK. Simply Voom's quality (not picture quality) and lack of new content is just not worth $10 a month more to me now that I have a chance to choose (thatnks to Dish's new packaging.

I love the PQ on VOOM and lack of commercials, however, the main problems I have with them is that they have very little in the way of Closed Captioning. I have emailed VOOM/Rainbow Media numerous times and never even received an acknowledgement let alone a response. I also emailed DISH since they are the carrier and part owner, again, no response. It is too bad that they have such great PQ and content but discriminate against the hearing impaired.

I love VOOM too.. agree with the repeats though..
Was an original VOOM subscriber too..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)