Why do we have to pay for locals with Dish?

$2x4 does not equal $10. Also, as pointed out, that's O&O. Dish charges $6 or less for locals. I beleive if you live in an area where you cannot recieve locals, they offer a $5 discount. So, you are not bein tv charged $10 for locals. You want the high value ones, espn is over $5/sub Disney is near $5/sub. Viacom, for all of their stations charge nearly $35/sub. All these channels add up. Your idea just doesn't make sense. You are overvaluing the locals and I think that is skewing your perception on savings.

http://www.thecab.tv/main/bm~doc/cablenation-fall-of-broadcast-report.pdf

Slide show of cable verses broadcast ratings. The broadcast still account for 30-40% of prime time viewing between the 4 (+CW) verses all cable channels. They are the most watched channels and can command the best terms for now...

The time spent page is interesting, the older you are the more you watch broadcast vs cable.

It is my understanding that Dish gets to run free ads on ESPN, Fox News, TBS, etc, so they make back some of the money. With locals, Dish isn't allowed to insert advertisements, so they bear the entire cost with no ad revenue.

if it was so small, Dish could allow us to opt out. My guess is that it isn't a small number and having everyone pay in generates Dish a lot of money and helps offset retransmission fees.

Ever since i've picked up Dish, i've been steadily dropping services to contain costs. Locals would be next on the list if allowed and I think there's many with the same logic.

It is what it is. We always have a way out. Nothing will change until Dish sees more cord cutters.

I think posts here have given the reasons why. But lets take another way at it. Why not ask to not pay for, and not get other channels in the package too? That would theoretically lower your cost. So forget all the other reasons given, locals are part of the package just as the other channels are now. Go to DIRECT TV, Comcast, Brighthouse or Fios I'm sure they will lower your cost by dropping channels you don't want.
I would be shocked to find out DISH tries to offset retransmission fees by actually having people pay for services DISH has to pay for. Next someone will tell me DISH includes their electric costs in their subscription fees.

I think posts here have given the reasons why. But lets take another way at it. Why not ask to not pay for, and not get other channels in the package too? That would theoretically lower your cost. So forget all the other reasons given, locals are part of the package just as the other channels are now. Go to DIRECT TV, Comcast, Brighthouse or Fios I'm sure they will lower your cost by dropping channels you don't want..
Not sure what you're saying here. I think a lot of people would opt out of locals if they had the choice, but they don't.

As I said, cord cutting is the only way out. Probably the only way to force broadcasters and providers to think differently.

Reactions: TheKrell
http://www.thecab.tv/main/bm~doc/cablenation-fall-of-broadcast-report.pdf

Slide show of cable verses broadcast ratings. The broadcast still account for 30-40% of prime time viewing between the 4 (+CW) verses all cable channels. They are the most watched channels and can command the best terms for now...

The time spent page is interesting, the older you are the more you watch broadcast vs cable.
and advertisers for the most part don't care about the older crowd on TV as they are outside the main demo. If the broadcast networks main audience keeps getting older, they get paid a lot less by advertisers as those younger viewers move elsewhere. All that money ends up being extracted out of retransmission fees/fights instead.

Not sure what you're saying here. I think a lot of people would opt out of locals if they had the choice, but they don't.

As I said, cord cutting is the only way out. Probably the only way to force broadcasters and providers to think differently.
What he is saying is, Locals are part of a package, and the chances of Dish or any provider are slim to none to entertain a sub to call in and say, " I don't want Lifetime or Espn, so lower my bill accordingly" In other words, no ala cart exclusions/credits.

Reactions: Tampa8
I don't think "a lot" would drop them. I bet the number would be in the single-digit percentages.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Reactions: KAB
I am a firm believer the vast majority of Dish customers can receive acceptable OTA signals.
I bet that a significant number of Dish subscribers are rural. Where I live, in a rural area, there is no way that just a rooftop antenna is going to get locals, you are going to have to be at least 20'-30' high to get anything, and that is not necessarily all channels in a given DMA. Not practical these days if you have locals via satellite.

Our locals, sd & hd both are on western arc. I know of more than a handful of places in these rural mountains that it's EA or nothing at all.

In cases like these I believe dish should make an exception to waive the fee on locals. I've helped a few "move" but that is shaky ground & try to not get involved to that extent.

I doubt it. You would miss the guide, PTAT (if you have Hopper). Iin the end, you would keep them I would bet.

It couldn't be very hard for Dish to supply the guide and DVR service if the locals are brought in via antenna. Dish could charge an extra $4 a month and it would all be profit for them. Plus we might get the sub-channels as well.

We can all debate the reasons for the cost of locals, why they are forced to be included in the packages and our opinions regarding the situation. However, it is all just conjecture, because the short answer is Dish is not going to change its policy, locals will remain in all packages and will not be removed, and every subscriber will continue to pay for them that is just the way it is, and that is a matter of fact.

Sounds like you are on CBS payroll?

I want cable channels and free broadcast tv, is that hard to understand?

What you want is to bitch and complain about $5. Drop dish and live with OTA antenna, oh, I'm guessing your local cable co also makes you buy locals too. I put up an OTA so I could get HD three years before the transition. For me to get my locals I had to spend $75 on the antenna and another $65 for a rotor because they are in different directions and some are very far away, so I need to a have a fringe antenna. DISH is not going to pay out that cash to make sure people can get OTA locals. Of course, I doubt that very many folks could get their locals with a $10 antenna, so there you go.

Our locals, sd & hd both are on western arc. I know of more than a handful of places in these rural mountains that it's EA or nothing at all.

In cases like these I believe dish should make an exception to waive the fee on locals. I've helped a few "move" but that is shaky ground & try to not get involved to that extent.

Cases like that, it would make sense for DISH to get/keep the subscriber and do that I would think. I also think it is very probable DISH would give a discount if asked. (More precise if DIRT were asked to look into it)

We don't watch OTA at all, except for PBS. I already don't receive guide data on my Ion subchannels since the digital transition. What's to miss? The only time I can remember watching my locals was when a hurricane blew through and knocked out power for 4 days. I had a portable TV which I charged from my car battery and watched the local news. That's about it. The big four could flame out and I wouldn't even notice. I watched Cosmos on NatGeo, not my local affiliate.

When I have installed a customer that has NLOS for the locals (that were all on western arc). I call in and tell them that we need to flip the arc and they can't get locals. The customers ended up getting $5 off.

It couldn't be very hard for Dish to supply the guide and DVR service if the locals are brought in via antenna. Dish could charge an extra $4 a month and it would all be profit for them. Plus we might get the sub-channels as well.
So it's okay for Dish to charge $4 a month to utilize PSIP data, but it's not okay to charge $5-6 (because we are no where NEAR $10, although we'll probably get there in the future) for guide data AND the video/audio? Do you care to explain that logic?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts