Why do we have to pay for locals with Dish?

It seems like it's a major offense for anyone to have an opinion around here anymore. Especially if it doesn't follow the big company line. I guess the old adage of the consumer knows best no longer exists in this world of mega company mergers. :(

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

It seems like it's a major offense for anyone to have an opinion around here anymore. Especially if it doesn't follow the big company line. I guess the old adage of the consumer knows best no longer exists in this world of mega company mergers. :(

Not always true. Have you followed Mitch lately? I've been watching him for years and he doesn't hold much water in my thought, no matter what my allegiance...

Reactions: KAB
I will listen when a real argument is made, but if it is just throwing out numbers created in your own head, it becomes irrelevant and your opinion no longer matters. Come at me with facts, and we can talk. Come at me with whining and crying, or completely blown out of proportion "facts" and what you are saying is worthless.

Reactions: dare2be and ds2600

No body is saying you can't have an opinion. You are perfectly free to continue to theorize about how Dish could do this or should do that. However, the simple fact is, you can talk it to death, but, local into local is staying, and if you keep paying for DBS or cable you are going to pay for local channels, simple as that. Not to mention Dish could really care less what we all think about the issue. This subject has been discussed ad nauseam, and I am as guilty as anyone for prolonging it.

If anyone doesn't like it, cancel your service (no matter who your provider is). Tell them *why* you're cancelling too. When enough people do the same, maybe they'll reconsider. Until "we" hit them where it hurts, they won't care.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

You've got that exactly right. And the moment Charlie Ergen makes an announcement that they are going to use antennas to bypass the network greed, these same people will pipe up right on cue what a brilliant idea it was! So predictable, isn't it?

Whether the OP was right or wrong. This thread would have died but it seems eveyone just wanted to continue to bitch. Its sad but I continue to find less and less here that is constructive or helpful. Takes about 5 mins to scan unread posts and mark forums read and move on.

Reactions: KAB
I have 713 posts and 7 likes, which is 1 percent.

You have 14,770 posts and 39 likes, which is 2 tenths of 1 percent.

I think that says quite a bit about how people view your posts.
You are right, Mitch likes to Bitch. And this tread should be closed ...another black hole of irrationality.

Sounds like this thread is turning personal rather than just differences of opinion about an issue. But that of course is just my opinion.

I have 713 posts and 7 likes, which is 1 percent.

You have 14,770 posts and 39 likes, which is 2 tenths of 1 percent.

I think that says quite a bit about how people view your posts.
Well if you want to get petty, the like count started over again three weeks ago when the new site software began.

I was hoping this thread would be locked but until then, I'm gonna go through everytime I are KAB now and get his likes back up.

All I know is that with the hopper it is mandatory to have the locals on the sat to make Prime time anytime work correctly. Recording 4 networks at one time using only one tuner is genius. OF course I still have the ota usb tuner for back up for any of those networks and all the sub channels too. I can remember how happy I was to get locals on the satellite for my hometown. I had "moved" to Houston so I could get the networks in hd. Now I have all my Beaumont Tx locals in hd and the CW in hd over the sub channel. I no longer have to "move" to get hd locals , unless of course I want to.

Reactions: Tampa8
Whether the OP was right or wrong. This thread would have died but it seems eveyone just wanted to continue to bitch. Its sad but I continue to find less and less here that is constructive or helpful. Takes about 5 mins to scan unread posts and mark forums read and move on.

Right. And it takes zero minutes to stay out of this thread entirely if it's your feeling that it's pointless. Why bother to thread crap? That's just more time wasted.

If anyone doesn't like it, cancel your service (no matter who your provider is). Tell them *why* you're cancelling too. When enough people do the same, maybe they'll reconsider. Until "we" hit them where it hurts, they won't care.

Exactly the industry will keep raising rates until they start to seriously lose subs. The networks have already indicated that they are going to go for huge fee increases over the next few years and that will be passed off to the consumer. But, even then it may not make a difference. Land line prices were not dropped to compete with cell phones, even as cell phones were doing away with the entire land line industry. Will the television industry learn a lesson from the cell phone/land line example or will they continue on until there are just a few subs paying a fortune?

The end of the networks could be dramatic. But I suspect they will soldier on, with decreasing relevance until no one pays them much attention anymore.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App using an iPhone.

The end of the networks could be dramatic.

I'm interested in that idea, but I don't see how it can be dramatic. Even if Congress passes a law making all carriage fees illegal, they still have their advertisers to keep them going.
But I suspect they will soldier on, with decreasing relevance until no one pays them much attention anymore.

I don't see how they can have decreasing relevance when viewership is still as great as it is. TV advertising has been their bread and butter for 73 years as of yesterday. The only way they can become irrelevant is if people stop watching them entirely.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)