Why do you subscribe to locals?

Why do you subscribe to locals?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
but if we allow all the local stations to die a slow and terrible death, then we wouldn't have to put up with this SHVIA crap.

I'm wondering why anyone would subscribe to local programming?

Is it to get "local' information, (like you should get from a newspaper)
or is it to get "national' programs? (like we used to do before SHVIA)

Can use 'other' for 'both'

Sorry "guide data" people. you could use 'local' or 'national' depending on WHY you are using the guide...
Because OTA reception without a large antenna sucks. So it's a matter of that and it's more convenient to let Dish provide them.
If I didn't have to pay for them,.I would not....We're looking to save every dime we can.

For local news, local weather alerts, local sports, can't get but one local OTA even with outdoor antenna. Could care less about national programming via local or national channels.... it's mainly a lot of commercial inundated junk with a smattering of decent programs.... I usually wait for commercial free DVD's of the good stuff.
Gotta ask,...if you're not interested in anything but local programming why not just get basic or lifeline cable?

I am too far away from the cities to get OTA without adding a $1000.00 antenna set up. Yeah, I would need a very tall tower to start with to see the networks and everything else.
yep..I know where Liberty is. You're in a trianlge equidistant from NYC.Scranton and Albany..That's a no OTA tv zone there....Jeez. The Catskills block OTA from Albany. NYC is blocked by the Mts of West Jersey and Scaranton is blocked by the Poconos..Just checked antennaweb.org....Yep ,it's true. Your area is unserved by OTA tv stations. Amazing!

I subscribe for the local Weather and News, Plus it gives me ABC,CBS,NBC,FOX,CW,PBS.
Why else? Most people don't Quailfiy for DNS ,and OTA isn't an option for me, so this is the only choice for many.

Perhaps you can make a poll yourself ?
Nah, I'd probably really screw up a poll and I'm not really that curious about why people watch what they watch or do what they do.
Oh, but thanks for asking.:D
Hey, no 'bah humbug' smilie. Maybe a poll for what smilies we prefer.:eureka

I subscribe for the local Weather and News, Plus it gives me ABC,CBS,NBC,FOX,CW,PBS.
Why else? Most people don't Quailfiy for DNS ,and OTA isn't an option for me, so this is the only choice for many.

that is exactly my point. scrap the local station monopoly and give us DNS!!

yep..I know where Liberty is. You're in a trianlge equidistant from NYC.Scranton and Albany..That's a no OTA tv zone there....Jeez. The Catskills block OTA from Albany. NYC is blocked by the Mts of West Jersey and Scaranton is blocked by the Poconos..Just checked antennaweb.org....Yep ,it's true. Your area is unserved by OTA tv stations. Amazing!

You left out 1 DMA that might work but that too is blocked by the Catskills. Binghamton, NY.

Now I am high up on a south eastern facing slope. Most of Liberty is elevated about 1600 feet above sea level. I pinpointed my exact location to 1850 feet. There are high mountains all around me except to the south east. (Towards NYC).

You are correct that the high mountains in northern NJ would create a problem here but you left out the Shawangung Ridge. (aka "The Gunks").

I know folks around here, but only those high up on hill tops got VHF signals from NYC. NO UHF that I ever knew of. Some get the Scranton / Wilkes-Barre, PA UHF channels but they must be high on a mountain with no obstructions to the west.

Exact Location.. Location.. Location is the problem here but.. I know that old (no longer there VHF Channelmaster) antenna got 2,4,5,7,9,11 and 13 from NYC. Sometimes 3 from Hartford, CT. But it seems the NYC digital signals are on UHF.

Now Dish even supplies a couple of LP NYC area stations along with WLNY-TV Riverhead, LI, NY that is impossible OTA and cable does not have it here. A good station. A total of 18 local channels! We are only missing one. Channel 31 but that is ION so we have that anyway.

If they all wanted 25 cents per sub, hmm lets see, 25 times 18 channels equals $4.50. Dish is making 50 cents per $5.00 locals sub the way I figure it. It is a good deal for NYC area people but I know there are DMA's with much fewer channels.

I would do both LiL's & OTA but it would cost near $1000 for that antenna that might not work. I am not much of a gambling man. lol

Happy Holidays everyone!

One time I had basic cable and E* just for the locals. Later I had channels from New York and locals and I was satisfied, I also cancelled my lousy cable provider. Then along comes the politicians and cable companies, and next thing we know a law is passed and by-by out of area feeds even tho we petitioned congress. I was willing to pay for these extras, and at least I got some sleep watching the network junk 3 hrs early. Living 90 miles from the my locals antenna I am subject to watching local network shows on a underpowered UHF antennas if satellite providers are dropped from carrying them. E* don't give in.