Why does bill have a Sunday due date?

jcarrera

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 15, 2006
Florida
Why does bill have a Sunday due date?

I know: the computer did it.

And we all know it is impossible to program computers to know what days fall on a Sunday.

I dont understand why it matters. The world doesnt stop spinning on sundays anymore, we all work sundays, im pretty posotive most paid tv companies dish/direct/cable are opperating on a sunday

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

Hint...if you pay it Sunday its still on time .... seriously Jcarrera?

Yes, sir. Seriously. I pay through a bill pay service, which may pay electronically if the receiver allows it, or sends a snail mail check. You tell me how I schedule it to arrive on a Sunday. I do not know if electronic deliveries are processed out or received on Sunday, or if they are, are credited since humans won't see it until Monday. Yes, I could schedule it to arrive on Saturday, thus reducing my payment window.

Is your office open Sunday to receive the payment if I go there?

I view it as essentially reducing the period available to get payment made by one day.

Besides, it is stupid, since computers can easily be programmed to account for weekends, holidays or whatever you want to account for calendar-wise. Heck, did you know they can even account for daylight saving time now? If your programmers are incapable of doing this, I can send you the algorithms.

Reading back over this, I see that it is a bit sharp. But so were the condescending replies to me.

I've also wondered about this, since the bills are NEVER processed on Sunday. My bank refuses to post payments on Sundays.

um its pretty simple. if its due on sunday go to brighthouse.com and pay it on sunday using your visa/mastercard or whatever other method they accept. It works the same way it does on monday, the same way it does on wed or sat or any day of the week. You submit the payment on sunday and it will not be late. You can also go to any open payment center and pay on sunday (do they still take them at amscot?) or via snail mail.

I just have no idea how this is even an issue?

"I just have no idea how this is even an issue?"

All of the "workarounds" posted never address the point of why do you allow your billing computer to set a Sunday for a due date in the first place.

Snail mail, as suggested in the previous post will not get there on a Sunday--nor soon, on a Saturday either!
And some other payment methods do not "work" on a Sunday (either are not delivered, or are not posted on a Sunday).

"I just have no idea how this is even an issue?"

All of the "workarounds" posted never address the point of why do you allow your billing computer to set a Sunday for a due date in the first place.

Snail mail, as suggested in the previous post will not get there on a Sunday--nor soon, on a Saturday either!
And some other payment methods do not "work" on a Sunday (either are not delivered, or are not posted on a Sunday).

Because the billing system is deisgned to give X number or days between billing cycles. If it just happens that day falls on a Sunday then so be it. You can put your bill in the mail on friday and have it arrive by mon-tue of the next week and will not be considered late. Whats the problem ? or you could be a smart consumer and when you get the bill look at the date, and make sure you are able to make arrangements to pay it prior to that date.

You never lived in an apartment and had your rent due on the 1st of the month? Sometimes the 1st is on a sunday, the leasing office is usually closed, so you have to make arrangements to get it paid before the first. Some places even have a "night drop box" where you can drop off the payment. I do believe BHN also has this at its offices, so if you wish to go on sunday when they are closed, you can drop off your payment in the box and still not be late.

Also all the methods I mentioned do work on sunday. While the money may not leave your bank account on sunday, (it will if you use your visa/mastercard check card) but it will still post on BHNS system as being on time.

You are totally and completely missing the point.

That there are methods to "get it there on time" was not the issue at all. I grant that; NOT THE POINT.

The issue was a billing system, which in some cases, unnecessarily shortened the customer's payment window by a day, and which is preventable by "correct" programming. Program it so that if the computed day falls on a Sunday or a holiday, simply add one day (computers can do that pretty easy)--then check to see if THAT is a Sunday or a holiday; if so, repeat.

I understand your point, but it seems like you are making too much out of it. I pay with my credit card automatically. Regardless of the due day, they get paid on time.

Maybe they don't addres the issue because to mot there is no issue. You can pay it on Sunday. Perhaps you would not but others might so there is no need to skip that day of the week.

You are totally and completely missing the point.

That there are methods to "get it there on time" was not the issue at all. I grant that; NOT THE POINT.

The issue was a billing system, which in some cases, unnecessarily shortened the customer's payment window by a day, and which is preventable by "correct" programming. Program it so that if the computed day falls on a Sunday or a holiday, simply add one day (computers can do that pretty easy)--then check to see if THAT is a Sunday or a holiday; if so, repeat.

Did not miss the point at all. You say it "shortened" the payment window but I pointed out ways that you can pay on sunday, thus your window is not shorter. So your argument is invalid, as there is no shortened payment window.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)