Why does lossless audio require a higher volume setting?

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Always wondered why the True and Master tracks require a lot more juice.

Normal tv and dvd viewing are around -20 to -23 db's on my 1909, while the BR tracks get down to -13 to -16.

Not a big deal, just wondering.

Always wondered why the True and Master tracks require a lot more juice.

Normal tv and dvd viewing are around -20 to -23 db's on my 1909, while the BR tracks get down to -13 to -16.

Not a big deal, just wondering.

If I had to guess, it would be that true and master tracks are completely uncompressed. Normal tracks will be punched up a bit in the 200-800 Hz range.

The lack of compression is the reason. Rock and roll, for instance uses a lot of compression in order to sound "louder". These new codecs have a much wider dynamic range, so they're able to start with a lower recording level (the lower noise floor is another reason), and preserve the peaks in special effects, etc... This is a very simplified explanation, but I think you will get my drift here.

Yeah. What I like, and my wife hates, is I adjust volume for the voices, and when you hit an action scene it gets LOUD. It should be this way IMHO.

Shes getting used to it. I let here hear the last 20 minutes of Transformers yesterday, cranked way higher than we normally watch. She actually thought it was great how well everything sounds now.

No wife, no kids, and no neighbors...! Gets lonely sometimes, but there is absolutely no issue with the volume when I really want to experience it...until I blow a speaker...! (Been there, done that...twice !!)

I love this receiver, it is really worthed the money. I have upgraded from an old Onkyo (TH-602b), and what a difference. The only thing is that I am still using my old 5.1 bose speakers. But belive it or not after several auto setup attempts I finally got the right Audissey Eq setup and it really sounds great. My next purchase (as soon as I have some dough) will be the Def Tch procinema 800 speakers system. If you can, test the AVR-1909 with the BD U-571, it gives your LFE the work out that it deserves.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)