Why does music go out before HD on our commercial Dish system at work

cypherstream

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
PA
Hello,

At work we have a Dish Network system that feeds two commercial receivers. One is tube to audio only and we are actually billed through mood music for it. The other one supplies CNN HD for news and Nick for kids.

When we get heavy rain, the music goes out first, but oddly the HD TV still continues to play. Shouldn’t it be the other way around? The music can’t be more than a few kbps( 64k-600k) , whereas the video is measured in Mbps (I presume 5-10 mbps). Missing a few bits here and there from rain shouldn’t affect the slower trickle of the music stream right?

I’m confused about it because at home I have DirecTV. When we get heavy rain at home, HD channels go out first, followed by SD channels and then music channels last. That makes sense in order of bitrate.

Thanks for the input! When our mood music contract is up for renewal, we’re going to inquire about their IP delivery of the service.

I don't know the answer for sure, but my guess would be that you get different signal levels from various transponders. Some of the transponders produce higher/more reliable signal levels. Perhaps the music channels are on a weaker transponder.

I know that when I get very heavy rain, some channels cut out while others stay working. It probably works the same way for the music channels.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Hello,

At work we have a Dish Network system that feeds two commercial receivers. One is tube to audio only and we are actually billed through mood music for it. The other one supplies CNN HD for news and Nick for kids.

When we get heavy rain, the music goes out first, but oddly the HD TV still continues to play. Shouldn’t it be the other way around? The music can’t be more than a few kbps( 64k-600k) , whereas the video is measured in Mbps (I presume 5-10 mbps). Missing a few bits here and there from rain shouldn’t affect the slower trickle of the music stream right?

I’m confused about it because at home I have DirecTV. When we get heavy rain at home, HD channels go out first, followed by SD channels and then music channels last. That makes sense in order of bitrate.

Thanks for the input! When our mood music contract is up for renewal, we’re going to inquire about their IP delivery of the service.

Do you know which Dish you have? Is it Eastern or Western Arc?

It's possible that the transponder the Muzak (Mood Media) feeds are on (looks like transponder 31 on EA) could be weaker than some of the others. That transponder also carries the SiriusXM channels and a bunch of local channels.

I'm not sure how the compression algorithm for Dish works. It's possible that the Mood Media channels are more highly compressed. It's not like the analog days when every channel had it's own uncompressed feed.

That being said, Mood Media also has a Ku (bigger dish) service at one of my businesses and it's rock solid. The music channels don't even fade during a monsoon.

It's also possible that I'm overthinking all of this and your dish might just need a repoint :D

I believe that Mood music comes from Intersat’s G25 satellite. It is a KU band with vertical polarity. The KU Signal is weaker. The Dish channels come from an echo star satellite. They use a MPEG4 compression for their HD channels.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

It all comes from a black dish network dish. In our area we are eastern arc. I could look tomorrow but I know if I venture into the signal level screen it sends a loud buzzing noise through the entire buildings audio signal! It’s not like DirecTV when you can discreetly check levels. I’d have to do it before / after hours or turn off the audio amp first.

The box driving CNN on the other hand, I can do whatever I want to that. It only feeds our department and it’s extended HDMI over Cat5e to another room mainly for special events or news coverage like if there was a disaster or big event.

It’s 2 different systems and dishes.

That explains a lot right there

Muzak and Dish TV can both use the same dish. Muzak's feeds originate from 103W Ku but they are also simulcast on DBS via Dish Network.

What's Playing Now - DBS/Encompass LE/LE2/SR

The "DBS" header at the top of that page means Dish Network. The "Encompass LE/LE2/SR" are Ku delivery. Same programming, different methods.

Reactions: pattykay
Ok here’s some screen shots. I got in early enough to go in the screen before subjecting everyone to the buzzing sound this screen makes.

I went into the menu, installation, dish aiming and it defaulted on this transponder.

IMG_4503.jpg

This receiver is so archaic and slow that just bringing up the guide causes it to freeze to gather data. I didn’t have all day I exited out and then turned the audio amp on. Anyway the channel is AUD02 Hot FM I believe.

IMG_4504.jpg

The current weather is cloudy, but so far dry.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I'm guessing you're looking at two different satellites. It looks like 119 for the music channels, but who knows what for your HD (maybe 129). You can look at multiple satellites with a single dish.

Yeah here are screen shots from our CNN TV.

IMG_4505.jpg

IMG_4506.jpg

Maybe we do have 2 dishes on the roof. I really thought it was one. I know we had even an older receiver for music that they came out and upgraded the video and music receiver and they were out on the roof. We got HD at that time, and locals - which we didn’t have before.

Music is out now, but CNN HD, still alive and kicking.

Here's our radar. Were by the pin.

Attachments

• radar8318.PNG
    radar8318.PNG
    123.5 KB · Views: 220
Reactions: pattykay
It is probably a single dish pointed at two or three different satellites. 110, 119 and 129. Most HD is on 110. Music is at 119 so music will go out first since it's farther west as the weather rolls in from the west.

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)