Why does my hard reboot of my Hopper 3 not do a hard reboot?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

docdaddy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 2, 2016
Birmingham, AL
I am probably using the wrong terms, but here is my question. As I continue to fight the problem of my Hopper 3 "losing" my WD 2T My Desktop self powered EHD, I found myself trying to make the H3 reconnect with the drive. Before the 344 update I just had to disconnect and reconnect the USB cable and it was occasional. Since the 344 update the H3 "loses" my EHD every day, and at first using the reset the hopper option in the tools menu would work. Then I had to do a red button reset. Today I did the red button reset 3 times and it still did not connect. So I thought I would do what I call a hard reboot: Pull the power plug out, wait a few seconds for capacitors to clear (which is probable silly) and then plug it back in.

Here's what throws me. In the past, if I pulled the plug, the plugged it back in, my Hopper 3 would go through the full startup routine. Finding satellites etc. Today it did exactly what it does when I hit the red button - just a Starting Up screen, with the kangaroo, for a minute, then the restarting info box, then Live TV. There was no lengthy "finding satellites" etc.

What's going on? Shouldn't pulling the power plug result in that full complete reboot?

Reactions: xfoneguy
I guess I'm confused; it used to take a significant amount of time for it to do all of that on a full reboot. I assume those steps served a purpose? Is there some hidden command to give the H3 what used to be a full hard reset?

I'm guessing that Dish has programmed the start-up sequence to skip (many of the) steps in the "Acquiring signal" procedure. Over the years, they've determined what's truly necessary to do. Or, they may have determined that 99% of the time, when a user performs the reboot, that from a diagnostic standpoint, it's not necessary to do all of the steps.

Reactions: xfoneguy and DWS44
I still occasionally see the acquiring satellite signal screen during red button resets (with 5 segments needed)

I assume it does it every time while other stuff is also happening, but sometimes it is done while the other screens are still showing - maybe it remembers the last transponders or whatever and tries those first and if it is a good signal its done, if bad signal, tries another one...just a guess...

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts