Why does neither satellite provider provide C-Span 3?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

edisonprime

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 12, 2012
Okay, I put this same thread on the Dish-DirecTV War Zone but got no replies. I don't think there's much traffic there. But anyways, both satellite providers provide C-Span 1 & 2, but why not 3? Is it some contract or agreement thing? Being a news buff, I'd like to see that? Now also, I'm not the biggest fan of leftist CNN, but why not CNN International?

harshness

SatelliteGuys Master
May 5, 2007
Salem, OR
Now I don't want to hear opinions; I just want to know why they don't carry it?
Because they aren't required to, more than likely. Satellite bandwidth isn't cheap and carrying channels that aren't of sufficiently broad interest isn't worth the expense. Couple this with the fact that you can get the feeds (albeit not to the same quality) via other means (Internet streaming of all three video feeds and the radio feed) and it makes carriage even less compelling (marketable).

edisonprime

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 12, 2012
Since CNN International hasn't been addressed yet, why isn't this on my line-up? I like knowing my world news.

rglore

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Mar 12, 2006
Louisville
With the Apple TV, you could stream from a Mac, iPad or iPhone to the TV unless your device is too old to have Airplay.

ejb1980

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 26, 2010
Vermont
Will they be there one year from now along with all the speculated HD additions after the launch? Directv's lineup is lacking in the world of general entertainment cable channels and cable is catching up with sports (And passing them in college sports...)

harshness

SatelliteGuys Master
May 5, 2007
Salem, OR
Will they be there one year from now along with all the speculated HD additions after the launch?
Probably not.
Directv's lineup is lacking in the world of general entertainment cable channels and cable is catching up with sports (And passing them in college sports...)
I don't think that's true with regard to general entertainment (in which college sports isn't included). Maybe my definition of "general entertainment" is different.

mike123abc

Too many cables
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK

ejb1980

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 26, 2010
Vermont
Probably not.I don't think that's true with regard to general entertainment (in which college sports isn't included). Maybe my definition of "general entertainment" is different.

I am talking about the second-level cable channels that many people with the big-name cable companies have. Would I watch most of these channels? No. But some I definitely would.

List of channels on Time Warner Cable in central NC that are not in Directv:
INSP
Lifetime Real Women
RLTV
Aspire
Design Network
YouToo
TWC News**
TWC SportsChannel*
BBC World News
CNN International
NY1 News*
CSpan 3
MTV James
MTV Hits
Revolt
CMT Pure Country
Blue Highways
SportsNet LA*
Pac12
TWC SportsChannel Carolinas**
ESPN GL/BB
Family Net
Flix West
FearNet
EWTN Espanol (we don't even have SAP!)
several feeds of Premiums
Epix
I did not include the FCS channels since we get the exclusive content.
There are MANY more on other TWC systems, like NYC.

List of channels on Directv not on TWC:
Audience*
MASN
MASN2
HD Net Movies
Pivot
AXS TV
3Net 3D
with SportsPack, FS Ohio/Cin and CSN MA give you Reds and DC United games, as well as most non-pro content.

*Networks owned by respective carrier.
** Some content can be found OTA on local channels. Some of the local sports on TWC SC are shown OTA on Raleigh locals and TWC News is the local news on WXLV ABC Winston-Salem.

caam1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 7, 2004
Fort Worth, TX
Charter cable in Fort Worth went all digital a few months ago and now has over 200 HD channels including all three C-SPANs and E and W feeds of the premium channels. I would consider them if they offered decent equipment. Their DVRs only have 2 tuners and record about 50 hours of HD. They also stopped offering any type of multi-room viewing option.

mike123abc

Too many cables
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
Charter cable in Fort Worth went all digital a few months ago and now has over 200 HD channels including all three C-SPANs and E and W feeds of the premium channels. I would consider them if they offered decent equipment. Their DVRs only have 2 tuners and record about 50 hours of HD. They also stopped offering any type of multi-room viewing option.

There is always TiVo (or windows PC media center). TiVo Romeo has 6 tuners 3TB and multi room viewing with the TiVo minis.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)