Why Does the D* Forum Have Less Participation?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

john262

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 22, 2005
As I write this the D* forum has 61 participants and the E* forum has 151. And that is pretty par for the course as far as I can tell. Almost every time that I log on the D* forum has less than E* does.

My question is, since D* has several million more subscribers than E*, why is the D* forum less popular at the Satellite Guys Forums?

You would think that since D* has more subscribers that would translate into more forum participants, but apparently it doesn't. Does anyone know why?

Thanks.

John

Try going to dbstalk.com

Seems that's the home base for most of the DIRECTV technical folks.

There has always been about three times as much forum participation by DISH dealers as by DirecTV dealer/installers, surely because of the diffrence in the relationships that each provider has with its independent dealers. DirecTV, for most of its history, has been sold primarily by bricks and mortar consumer electronics stores, whereas DISH put together an army of AMWAY agents who basically tied their fortunes to that company. If some DirecTV hardware product doesn't work as promised and gives Best Buy fits, you won't see any corporate officers or even managers from Best Buy crying in their milk here.

I only service commercial DBS installations and have been active in many DirecTV technical threads, but probably 95% or more of DirecTV MDU installations are maintained by mega dealers who run their businesses like businesses and keep their problems to themselves.

Most of those who care about PQ moved to E*.

Those left generally don't care or can't see the difference (or would rather have ST instead of sex with a Perfect 10).

So take PQ out of it and there is little to discuss about D*.

Most of those who care about PQ moved to E*.

Those left generally don't care or can't see the difference (or would rather have ST instead of sex with a Perfect 10).

So take PQ out of it and there is little to discuss about D*.

Now that was pretty comical.

There are a variety of factors that contribute to this sites heavy slant towards E*.

D* doesnt reach out to forums like this as E* does. They are more tight lipped and information isnt leaked as often.
With that being said, when D* came out with local RSN's in HD it was leaked a little early and there was a lot of talk about it.
The owner of the site is an E* sub and not a D* sub.
People here have more contacts within E* than D*.

Look at the posts in both forums. People both gripe about the same things about their particular provider.

There are posts on both ends where people complain about PQ, about how they are tired of the CSRs, how thats it today they are going to change providers *yawn*.

The only thing I never understood about the E* forums was the amount of discussion on the VIP622. Its like they have a googleplex of threads on that box.

I would surmise that the more problems that a product has would provoke more discussion.
But if it wasn't for these forum's we would all be pretty much in the dark. I can still remember calling D* and their standard answer was "until we have 5 cases alike reported we will not act or do anything". And it seemed they NEVER could get 5 cases.

There has always been about three times as much forum participation by DISH dealers as by DirecTV dealer/installers, surely because of the diffrence in the relationships that each provider has with its independent dealers. DirecTV, for most of its history, has been sold primarily by bricks and mortar consumer electronics stores, whereas DISH put together an army of AMWAY agents who basically tied their fortunes to that company. If some DirecTV hardware product doesn't work as promised and gives Best Buy fits, you won't see any corporate officers or even managers from Best Buy crying in their milk here.

I only service commercial DBS installations and have been active in many DirecTV technical threads, but probably 95% or more of DirecTV MDU installations are maintained by mega dealers who run their businesses like businesses and keep their problems to themselves.

Correct !!!!!!! D* is not run like a nationwide cable company.

Being that the majority of the posts stem from having problems, one possible answer is that E* has more problems [and/or unhappy customers] than D*.

Last edited:
As I write this the D* forum has 61 participants and the E* forum has 151. And that is pretty par for the course as far as I can tell. Almost every time that I log on the D* forum has less than E* does.

My question is, since D* has several million more subscribers than E*, why is the D* forum less popular at the Satellite Guys Forums?

You would think that since D* has more subscribers that would translate into more forum participants, but apparently it doesn't. Does anyone know why?

Thanks.

John

After subscribing for over 4 years with E* I decided to subscribe with D*(more national channels).I find it's harder to get back up to the computer sites because I
have alot more programming to watch.After 1 year with D* I find I'm alot happier with D*(haven't lost any channels due to "contract talks").:)

Cant speak for everyone but I use this site since I like it and the folks in it and actually prefer it over all others but if I want cutting edge/more inside info for D*, I have to use DBSTalk. Not wish to, HAVE to. This forum seriously lags behind with information that is useful to me. Earl at DBSTalk has a real inside track with D* and that cant be matched here.

Being that the majority of the posts stem from having problems, one possible answer is that E* has more problems [and/or unhappy customers] than D*.

That certainly was the case back around 2002, when the DISH DVRs weren't working properly.

This site is geared toward Dish Network because the owner of the site is a Dish Booster + Dish is way more forthcoming with technical data/issus, and future plans.

+ Dish is way more forthcoming with technical data/issus, and future plans.

How is it that DISH is more forth coming with technical plans ?
D* has told everyone what they are doing up to a year and a half ago.

What exactly has dish done that made any news here other than last week when they changed around how they load channels on their MPEG4 transponders , other than that (don't get me wrong, that is important news), but outside of that, whats NEW ?

Curious, Do most of the D* people go to the DISH forum and talk about how much D* does vs DISH and complain, like the DISH user do over in the D* forum ????

Jimbo

This site is geared toward Dish Network because the owner of the site is a Dish Booster + Dish is way more forthcoming with technical data/issus, and future plans.

Maybe they are more forthcoming, at least they talk a good game. While most of what they announce does happen it's mostly late and sometimes just get's changed to something else. Probably the biggest late item is NBR on the 501/508/510 DVR's, that's been coming for ages. They annoucned SuperDish would be required for all new HD channels, a few months later changed their minds. OpenTV interface on the 6000 and Dishwire (aka firewire) support on the 921 to allow archive of HD programs to D-VHS decks were advertised coming features that they just cancelled after folks had purchased the boxes. Maybe these are part of the reason that there is a lot more E* discussion then D*?

Actually I could have all the same stuff as earl, however if I pushed it then chances are Earl would lose his contacts.

That is something we don't want to happen. And i know it could happen as I have already talked with someone at DirecTV about this (Basically I was told they would take their ball and go home)

I personally have not followed DirecTV stuff closely as I don't subscribe to DirecTV.

We first and formost want our members to be educated the best they can be and if that means telling some folks to go to DBStalk to learn about some of the DirecTV stuff then so be it, I have no problem with that.

The main reason we run the site is to give people information, and if we dont have that information we don't pretend it does not exist, instead we tell you where to find it.

I have told Earl many times he reminds me of a younger me. :)

I personally have not followed DirecTV stuff closely as I don't subscribe to DirecTV.

Have you considered adding D* to your collection of providers at home? Maybe it might be a good thing to do, especially once D10 or D11 go up and D* starts to add all their HD channels. Plus it would be nice to have comparisions between the two services and their STB's from someone with both services. You could add it to your tax write off for next year;)

BTW, thanks for not pushing things with D* if it might mean we loose Earl's contacts with them.

I wanted to move to DirecTV a long time ago, but they would not have me because in the past I did have a direcTV account (only for the NFL package)

So when I wanted to move they wanted to charge me full price for 4 HD receivers / DVR's so the costs in moving over have kept me with Dish. In that time Dish has improved greatly and now I don't regret staying.

My multichannel costs now a month are already over $400 a month and I don't think my wife will let me spend anymore especially since I am the only bread earner in the family. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.