Why does Whole Home not work on my setup???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

diitto

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
Hi, I thought I already posted this question but I can’t find it right now so I will try again.

Yesterday, I was told I don’t need INTERNET to be able use Whole Home.

Here WAS my setup.

SL3 LNB SWM dish.
1x4 splitter with power connected to the power special port for that purpose.
The other 3 ports then went to the following.

1- Genie HR34 (which died this past weekend) on one TV

1- Genie Mini (C31) (still functional but disconnected for now) on a second TV

1- HR22 that we brought with us from our old home

Since the Genie is now dead, I called Directv a few days ago and they deactivated the HR34 and the Genie Mini and in their place they REACTIVATED to older HR20-700’s that we also brought with us from our old home and Directv did not want them back 3 1/2 years ago. So I stored them.

I got both of those HR20’s up and running after getting some help from you guys about how to configure them for SWM.

The HR22 was and still is connected to the internet via it’s DECA that was setup by Directv 3 1/2 years ago. But neither of the HR20’s is connected to the internet because there was/is NO DECA next to where the Genie used to sit as the Genie must not need a DECA because it must be able to strip internet off the SAT signal that had internet superimposed on to it by another DECA (used in the other direction) that puts internet onto all the SAT cables. And there is/was never a DECA in the room where the C31 Genie Mini sits so unless I was to add two DECA’s, there is no INTERNET for the two HR20’s I just deployed.

But, having said all that, I was told Whole Home does NOT depend on the DVR’s being on the Internet. That instead all DVR’s need to be on the same “something something” network that someone conveyed to me in another post that I, for the moment, cannot find.

So, why don’t I have Whole Home???

On the Whole Home setup, I have the following on ALL THREE DVR’s (1 HR22 and 2 HR20’s)

Share Playlist — YES
Allow Deletion From — All rooms
Name Location — All three DVR’s have reasonable names
External Device — External Access — Allow
External Device — Current Program — Block
External Device — Recordings — Allow
Status — Whole-Home DVR: Authorized
Status — No networked DVR’s found

1) What is the External Device stuff about??? In that section it says “Allow or block external devices from accessing your receiver, seeing the program you are currently viewing or seeing Playlist recordings”. Does that mean other DVR’s seeing a DVR you are on or is it referring to other types of external electronics, like Smart TV’s or something??? That External Device confuses me.

2) But the big question is why do I NOT have Whole Home Working??? All three DVR’s are connected to the same splitter and it appears from this other post I can’t now find that the sharing appears to occur over the SAT cables as long as they are all on the same network???

So why do I NOT have Whole Home working??? Why does it say “No networked DVR’s found”. Might I need to restart them all and then maybe it will work???

Confused about how Whole Home works!!!???

Any help would be much appreciated. thanks..

Did you say that the HR20s do not have DECA adapters like the HR22?

If not they need them for WH to function ...

As they're not just for internet access, but file streaming between the DVRs as well.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

The whole home feature will work, however., the HR20's both need a DECA installed. The DECA is a Directv Ethernet to coax adapter. All it does is convert the ethernet signal from the receiver to coax so it can travel between the receivers. It has nothing to do with the Internet. The confusion lies in the fact that a DECA is also used to convert the Internet signal to coax so it can also travel among all the receivers. The whole home feature of the receivers communicating with each other requires the DECA on the HR20, 21, 22, and 23. The DECA is built in to the HR24 and later receivers, ie. Genie, H25, etc.

Also, I'd advise you to go ebay to purchase the correct "older style" receiver DECAs with coax F-connectors on opposite ends.

Don't try to ask DIRECTV to send you them for free as they will likely send you a USB type DECA with only one F-connector which is not the proper one for your situation.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jimbo
Wow, Lots of information. Thanks... First, all three interim receivers (one HR22-100 that has been part of the install all along and two HR20-700's which are just in there until we decide what Genie to buy to put back in (along with its Genie Mini which is currently unplugged) show

Whole Home DVR -- Authorized

So I think that means the service is still on???!!! I just tried to log on to my account (was on an hour ago) and now Directv is reporting technical issues. Sigh...

The HR34 Genie that was installed (now with a dead hard drive) did NOT have a DECA as it would appear (someone jump in to confirm) that it must do the "DECA stuff" inside the HR34 and nor does the Genie Mini have a DECA because it's just a Client getting all its info (I guess) from the HR34 server. So when I simply put the two HR20's in the locations where I once had the Genie and Genie Mini, I did not have access to any DECA's to put in there. And at the time I thought I only needed the DECAs if I wanted the DVR's on the internet and that I only needed internet access if I wanted to use OnDemand. I was jazzed just to be able to get TV back in these two locations with two DVR's I had stored just because I never got around to recycling them (and Directv did not want them back 3 years ago). And I'm still jazzed to have TV in these two locations. I was really just trying to see if I could also get Whole Home up and working again and you folks are saying, I think, that I need to go buy some DECA hardware that I would likely only find on eBay.

So educate me as I'm a retired EE who likes to learn how all this stuff works. But my real answer will to reinstall a new Genie soon.

holler back. thanks

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)