Why don't I get any signal from odd-numbered transponders? Help!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tmeneley

Original poster
Aug 2, 2005
Hoping you experts can help me out with this one....

First of all, I'm a sattelite noob, and know little about how this stuff actually works. I've searched pretty extensively here and on other forums but I'm ready to just ask (I'm not completely without help, I'm an EE so hopefully this is within the realm of my comprehension!)

I just moved into a condo that has community Directv dishes on the top of each complex. They are round, corporate-sized dual LNB units. Into each home comes two coax cables, as usual. Inside a panel, you can intall a multiswitch, and attach dual coax to every room. I want to run two standard, single tuner receivers in bedrooms as well as a dual tuner, dual input DVR in my living room. As I have it set up now, the DVR won't do anything because it can't download it's program guide or whatever, but all my other units work with one exception - they only get signal from odd-numbered transponders. Am I an idiot or do I not have connectivity on one of my incoming (to the condo, from the complex's multi-switch) coax lines? I have checked both with a rudimentary signal meter and they both are "hot". I was under the impression that each side of a dual-lnb connected with either odd or even transponders (ie left side odd, right side even?).

I really appreciate any suggestions here. As I said, I am very new to this, and realize that I may be completely wrong about everything I've said here! Thanks ahead of time, I need help!

The problem is going to be in the wire. 2 things that may cause it, a splitter or connections.

If the foil is touching the copper it will cause this and that is most comman when this problem occurs.

This is what I figured, I must have a short or a splitter somewhere on the coax line that comes from one side of the LNB, which sucks for me as the wiring is was all done at the time of construction. Any other possibilities/ideas from anyone? Or is that definetely the problem in everyone's opinion? Thanks for the help guys, it really is appreciated.

When this has happened to me it has always been a problem associated with one of the connectors. As previously indicated I've suspected without knowing why that when the foil is touching the copper wire it can create problems. I've also had water get into some of the connectors located outside near the dish and this also seems to cause similar problems with channel reception.

Silversurfer:

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a stacked system? Like I said - completely ignorant on this stuff! Thanks for the tips everybody!

Stacked systems don't switch polarity by changing voltages. they use a higher frequency and a destacker to translate the higher frequency to the standard broadcast signal and back to voltage switching. This is frequently used in apartment complexes to simplify distribution.

I think Silversurfer is right. It's been a long time since I took a course on this but I will try to explain it. A Stacked System is a specially engineered system that allows an entire apartment building to use one dish. This can be a single or dual LNB dish. They use a series of power passing sptilters, amps, and attenuators to achieve this. When I took this course the idea of 2 tuner DVRs was only a twinkle in someones eye. Each apartment was only allocated so much capability. Like one or two lines or maybe even every room. It's been way too long for me to make any recommendations, should this turn out to be what your up against. In the mean time I would suggest that you bypass your multi switch and hook up your standard receivers and see if the problem goes away. If it does maybe someone who remembers more that I could recommend a fix. Hope that helps.........Rich

Looks like you guys were right! After a few painful hours on the phone, I've confirmed that I am in fact connected to a stacked system. Now, has anyone used the setup suggested in many other posts around here where one destacker is used, then the signal is passed to a multiswitch and then to all recievers as usual? I understand how to hook this up, but will I be ok to do this in this situation? Just double checking before I drop $80 on a destacker. Also, on that note, should an installer give something like that to me free, when they come to install my other two (standard) receivers? The only reason I'm asking all of these questions is because my complex wants me to order DTV through them, with no promo's and a much higher price. The dish is up (shared by everyone in the building) and the wiring complete, but I'd rather go through DTV myself (I've already ordered service and equipment). I'm getting a way better deal this way, knowing that it can be done. My installer will be in on Monday, so I'll have to order that destacker if you guys don't think he'll have one......
Thanks guys!!

Unless he works for the company that owns the system he won't have a destacker. You probably need to check into the legality of your connecting to their system without going through them.

As I said earlier it's been way too long a time for me to remember all the details of a Stacked System. However I think I am safe in saying that there is little to no chance that the installer will have a destacker on his truck. Maybe if you could get in touch with them before they show up they could bring one. I don't think that that will fall under the umbrella of Standard Insalltation.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)