Why have more then one?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

satjay

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 30, 2005
Michigan
Many times I read on this site that many of us have DTV,Comcast and Dish also. I know that some like me have comcast "Limited" so I can get a reduced price on the Internet, but of those that have two or even three ways of watching TV (having comcast and maybe DTV or Dish or all the above) Do people do it so save money in the long run or like me, do we want all the technology we can get!

Just curious as maybe I am missing out on just having DTV? (especially when a big reason I have DTV) is the Sunday Ticket

I am going through this major justification battle with myself over keeping both Dish and Directv. My main focus is HD so right now I am leaning towards Dish. However, my family loves Tivo and I have 2 HD Tivos. You cant beat the dual OTA receivers and the ease of use. So in the end, I pay for 2 sources, each having their own advantage.

In the end, if Directv would just frickn add more HD content the contest is over in my household. Sure there may be more compelling reasons to have Dish but I only want the most HD content and right now I feel I need to have 2 sources to cover my needs/wants. Its a waste but I gotta have HD even if its something slightly lower than pure HD.

Satjay, I've been thinking about the same thing myself. Up until a few days ago, I had DirecTV along with the most basic service from Comcast. In my case, Comcast's Internet service alone would have cost me more than Comcast with standard cable.

But I just added an HD TV, and there's one channel that is currently (and for the foreseeable future) only available on Comcast that's a "necessity" to me: NESN in HD. So I've expanded what I get from Comcast enough to add it, along with the networks in HD.

I haven't cut back on my DirecTV service, and it will most likely stay around because I'm an NFL Sunday Ticket subscriber who roots for an out-of-market team. DirecTV also has the exclusive for the NCAA Tournament package, which I've enjoyed ever since they've offered it.

I guess, in short, sometimes it's worth it to duplicate services to get all the channels that we really want.

I have both DTV and Comcast basic service, the only reason I keep Comcast is due the HD content for the local channels which is 10 channels( I think its 10). Plus getting the price reduction on broadband and digital voice.

Once I get the HD locals from DTV I will return the box from Comcast and keep the basic service.

Dang I wish I could get DSL!

:confused: The only reason I have Comcast and D, is for the highspeed internet via cable - just the most basic cable package, which for some reason is cheaper than just getting internet via cable. Go figure:confused:

Well, I think it depends on all that you are getting from each provider, which in my case is THREE:

On E*, I ONLY have Denver, NY & LA distant nets & supers - since I am grandfathered in when they used to have reduced pricing on each set of distants, (6+3+3 for the NY/LA/SS) even though I don't use them all that much & in spite of paying $5 for no AT pkg, there's NO way I'm giving these up until I have to! ;) Have a 721, which helps on overflow network shows.

On cable, I have only broadcast basic & modem, but actually get full expanded, due to techs that don't always do what they're supposed to - ain't NO way I'm messing with that, either! ;) :D Have a 1st gen Replay, which doesn't require a DVR fee, which I use on cable only.

On D*, I have only TC+ - used to have HBO & Showtime, but just didn't watch them enough to justify the extra $23 for those. Between everything else, I have MORE than enough to watch now. :) Have a couple D-Tivo's & am grandfathered in on lifetime DVR fee, hence why I'm still staying on D*.

Last edited:
I have both Directv and BellExpress and I really enjoy both. The mainreason for getting Bell was to have the networks, ABC, CBS, etc. in HD. I now watch Hockey night in Canada in HD. TSN has some HD hockey and both TSN and Sportsnet have a lot of baseball in HD, NBA in HD, plus I get almost all Cub, White Sox, and Bulls home games in HD on WGN. I can see why people have 2 or 3 providers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts