couple questions re: ota antenna hookup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DadGuy

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2006
Hi all,

I'm a little lost and hoping to get some guidance from the fine folks here....

I bought a pioneer pdp-4345hd 43" plasma screen. I've been a directv subscriber for about 10 years and I"m still using the original receiver and round dish. I realize I need to upgrad to an HD receiver and change the dish out as well.

My latest round of questions:

1. I borrowed a Terk outdoor HDTVs Antenna pro to see if I could get HD over the air reception where I live. The tuner inputs on the plasma allow for two antenna inputs "A" which is antenna/cable and "B" which is Antenna. I attached the coax to the antenna and the "A" connection and basically just got crappy tv on a few channels. Am I going about this wrong? Do I actually have to have the directv HD receiver in place, plug the coax into that and then use the hdmi connection from the satellite receiver to the TV Tuner/receiver?

2. One of the reasons I"ve been stalling on getting the HD receiver from Directv is I wasn't sure which dish I was going to need based on whether I rely on directv for local channels or am able to get the OTA. Will I be able to determine that "before" I get the HD satellite receiver?

3. Is it true that after I go through the process of getting the current HD compatible dish and reciever, that if I want to use the satellite delivery of local broadcasting that I will have to get yet another dish and/receiver or can I get the right combo now via directv and be set to go?

4. dish tv "seems" to have a better deal currently with the longer free HD intro, lower monthly after, and totally free equipment including dish. Is this a fair estimation or am I missing something?

Thanks for the help any and all who read and reply....

dadguy

1. You need a HD tuner to get any HD reception.
a. that can be a TV with bulit-in HD tuner
b. an HD ready TV with a non-satellite (terestrial) OTA tuner set-top box
c. an HD ready TV with a satellite set-top box with OTA tuner

2. What metro area?

3. You current OTA HD will remin the same, if you want LIL MPEG4 HD then you will need the new AT9 dish and MPEG4 receiver

4. Dishnetwork & DirecTV are 99% the exact same. Dish offers a bit more HD movies, but their hardware is buggy at times. DirecTV is positioning themselves for the HD future better than the rest (slowly, but takes time) and has solid hardware and the only one with NFL ST. Don't base what you get on the up front bait, look at everything past 6 months.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mpeg 4 question from non-subscriber

Why have more then one?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)