Why I Switched Totally to FIOS

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I dropped my Fios after a year, The Motorola DVR was awful and I had constant billing issues, granted I had a super non-standard plan.
I sent their boxes back and they still wanted to charge me $1800 for non returned equipment. I just got an email the other day from them saying the fixed it and I non owe them 0.00 but it took them 6 months to fix that.

How often do you guys lose your signal ?

We've had tornado's and hard storms thru here the last 3 weekends, I lost signal for about 10 minutes all together.

I would bet that I don't lose signal for even :30 minutes a year.
I can live with that.

I rarely lose my signal excepts under the most harsh conditions that usually involve hail. In those rare cases I have the weather radio and I am in my safe zone without a TV anyway.

DirecTV-3, now operating as Nimiq 3 and currently backing up Nimiq 1.
DIRECTV 3 is at least 14 years into its projected 12 year life. It was launched in 1995, moved to a graveyard orbit in 2002 and back a year later. It has only 8 transponders and it can't reach Hawaii. About the only satellite that it could hope to partially back up is half of DIRECTV 5.
DirecTV-1R -- currently operating in the 72.5 slot being vacated by D*.
Given that DIRECTV extended their 72.5W license until 2012, that's probably not a great option. They could move stuff there, but with only 16 CONUS transponders and already a pretty sizable loading of LIL, it doesn't seem like much of a win. DIRECTV 1R is going on 11 years of a projected 15 year life itself.
Either of those could be brought in to provide temporary capacity until a new vehicle could be launched. You'd lose some LiL markets, but national service could likely be maintained at near 100% capacity.
While CONUS birds are handy for replacing other CONUS birds, they aren't particularly effective at sharing the bandwidth. Many LILs may be lost should D4S or D7S fail. There would also be much suffering around the edges of the footprint if D5 had to be ratcheted up to 32 transponders at "standard" (half of current) power.

How often do you guys lose your signal ?

We've had tornado's and hard storms thru here the last 3 weekends, I lost signal for about 10 minutes all together.

I would bet that I don't lose signal for even :30 minutes a year.
I can live with that.

I only have outages when it's real hard rain or the snow is heavy and lays on the bottom of the dish until I get a broom and sweep it off.

I only have outages when it's real hard rain or the snow is heavy and lays on the bottom of the dish until I get a broom and sweep it off.

Yup, the WET snow is the worst.

Thats why I tell people to NOT have thier dishes on the roof unless you have easy access.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)