Why Is Bell ExpressVu Deleting Channel 814 - HDNet?

jsattv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 4, 2006
Does anyone know why Bell is deleting that great HD Net Channel 814 as of Dec 7, 2010 with its great Sunday Concerts as well as its Shuttle coverage? Can't afford it? Seems to me we should ask for a rebate!!

Bell is telling everyone that there was not enough viewers to justify the channel, but it is probably just a cost savings measure. I'd be pretty upset if I lost that channel, it has by far the best MMA coverage in North America.

That's exactly what I was told - not enough viewers to justify the channel?? Another cost cutting measure by Bell and a reason to start looking elsewhere. I noticed on my December bill that rates will be going up starting in Jan 2011. Guess That's Bell's new formula: ie increase rates and reduce service!!

Bell - formerly Expressvu - has lost money continuously since the getgo. The accumulated debt is now greater than $2B. Any standalone company operating like this would have been out of business a decade ago.

Bell has to stop the bleeding of their core businesses - especially to Rogers and Videotron 4 pack bundles. As a result, Bell is investing in the infrastructure to deliver IPTV to these areas.

Yes they will be investing money in Bell satellite - for new MPEG2 encoders to deliver greater compression as they have to add 22 Canadian locals in HD to the existing HD transponders before the end of 2012. Unlike Shaw who is spending the $600m needed to upgrade to MPEG4, Bell has no plans to spend the $1B to upgrade their system to MPEG4.