Why is Channel 240 not on the Eastern Arc?

boddah44

Original poster
Nov 18, 2009
Michigan
I have been waiting for the Pursuit Channel (hunting, not car chases) to come to Dish Network. I found out that it is on the Western Arc, but not the Eastern. Why would Dish do this?

I asked the CSR if I am missing out on any other channels and of course he said "no." Can anyone verify that this is the only channel that is on the western arc but not the eastern arc, besides local channels and regional sports?

There is at least one channel on the EA not on the WA also. EuroNews. (it's on 118.7 also while it could be called an international channel, it is in English, and is available A La Carte) I do not know why Hunt is not on the EA, I get both arcs so didn't even realize it was not on the EA. I would understand more if it was on the EA and not WA as the WA is really pressed for space.

You can verify for yourself. All the sats with what channels are on them are at the top of the forums page. (dishchannel Chart)

Last edited:
I have been waiting for the Pursuit Channel (hunting, not car chases) to come to Dish Network. I found out that it is on the Western Arc, but not the Eastern. Why would Dish do this?

I asked the CSR if I am missing out on any other channels and of course he said "no." Can anyone verify that this is the only channel that is on the western arc but not the eastern arc, besides local channels and regional sports?
It is correct that currently Dish Network is only broadcasting the Pursuit Channel 240 on the western arc. We are currently working on adding it to the eastern arc. It is listed as a Public Service channel right now on the western arc and therefore is at no charge. This will most likely change when added to the EA as well and it will then be assigned to a specific package. We do know a lot of our EA customers are very anxious to receive this channel and we apologize for the delay.

And another channel on one but not the other department: I believe the EA only gets ION East while the WA gets both ION East and West, or has that changed?

maryb@Dish Network said:
It is correct that currently Dish Network is only broadcasting the Pursuit Channel 240 on the western arc. We are currently working on adding it to the eastern arc. It is listed as a Public Service channel right now on the western arc and therefore is at no charge. This will most likely change when added to the EA as well and it will then be assigned to a specific package. We do know a lot of our EA customers are very anxious to receive this channel and we apologize for the delay.

So why is it a public service channel? Is it because if you charged for it people on the EA would feel there being charged for a program that they don't get. Maybe the FTC might have something to say about it.

There are 350,000 customers in PR and the USVI who pay for programs we don't get. I don't see any apology coming from Dish for the delay in fixing this problem or you being anxious to fix it

Englishtycoon, Please stop being so bitter about everything DISH does, you make everything seem as if DISH is out to always screw the people of PR and the USVI. This is not the case.

The Public Interest Channels are FCC Mandated and DISH must carry so many PI channels per slot that they are licensed for. DISH is NOT required to carry any PI channels on satellites it rents transponder space from.

For the Eastern Arc, the only satellite the must have PI channels on is 61.5 and they are currently meeting the assigned quota for PI channnels for that orbital location. They are under no legal obligation to add any more for the Eastern Arc. I believe on the Eastern Arc DISH actually carries more PI channels then they are required to by law.

It has NOTHING to do with PR or the USVI at all.

Englishtycoon, Please stop being so bitter about everything DISH does, you make everything seem as if DISH is out to always screw the people of PR and the USVI. This is not the case.

The Public Interest Channels are FCC Mandated and DISH must carry so many PI channels per slot that they are licensed for. DISH is NOT required to carry any PI channels on satellites it rents transponder space from.

For the Eastern Arc, the only satellite the must have PI channels on is 61.5 and they are currently meeting the assigned quota for PI channnels for that orbital location. They are under no legal obligation to add any more for the Eastern Arc. I believe on the Eastern Arc DISH actually carries more PI channels then they are required to by law.

It has NOTHING to do with PR or the USVI at all.

no they just want to screw sports fans

So why is it a public service channel? Is it because if you charged for it people on the EA would feel there being charged for a program that they don't get. Maybe the FTC might have something to say about it.

There are 350,000 customers in PR and the USVI who pay for programs we don't get. I don't see any apology coming from Dish for the delay in fixing this problem or you being anxious to fix it

I have lost any sympathy I had for PR/USVI subscribers. I am betting so has Dish. Get another service and be happy. It isn't worth this amount of anger.

I have lost any sympathy I had for PR/USVI subscribers. I am betting so has Dish. Get another service and be happy. It isn't worth this amount of anger.
I do believe they have to cover PR/USVI by law..perhaps the FCC should start pulling licenses of providers who cannot comply

Show me a link to that please. I hope you have notified the FCC about Direct TV then. And even at that, Dish does serve PR/USVI. Like anywhere, you may or may not like what you can get. Nice try though.

Last edited:
Again, very nice try. That is NOT what you said, or what I addressed. That has been answered by myself and others in other threads.

Not looking for sympathy just looking to get what is being sold. It is very easy for you to sit on the side line and say tuff when your not the one that is effected.

You still don't get it. From the posts I see, people are trying to get programming from 61.5. That is NOT supposed to be. Dish does not support getting all programming using some sats from one ARC , and some from another. What don't you get about that?? You know that, yet don't want to acknowledge it. And I have acknowledged Dish should not be selling you a package that includes channels not on 119/110.
Dish should offer SD only to you, from the 119/110 sats. Because that is all you can reliably see. HD may not be really possible because so much is on 129.

But none of this has anything to do with this thread. You need to get another provider. Get Direct TV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)