Why is Direct Tv so expensive ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I don't think that's completely fair to the OP. When I was making the decision, I chose Dish over Direct because Dishes up front costs were much lower for the configuration I needed. Also Dish let me go with no contract, giving me the option to switch to someone else down the road. Those were the deal makers for me.

Now that BSG is about to start its last season, I'm considering Direct for SciFi HD. Their prices for the HD-DVR have dropped since I last looked, which does make them more attractive to me.

Point is, it is a legitimate question for some people.

Trust me i'm no troll right now i have Dish but with the recent issues with amc14 i might want to switch over to DTV. With Dish i have 2 vip722 dual tuner dvrs and a vip 211 receiver total out of pocket expense was $50.00 and 18 month contract. My monthly programming is a $49.99 dvr advantage $10.00 hd essential $7.00 lease fee each receiver and $5.98 dvr fee.

I also have the option of either Comcast or Fios. Just checking my options.

Looks like the equipment is alot higher in price then Dish.

To answer the question you asked in the subject line, when was the last time D* was in a programming dispute? Sure, D* might be a little pricer than E*, but i'd rather pay more than to constanly lose channels for a period of time that always seems to happen with E*.

D* is known for going after customers that are willing to buy higher priced packages, their ARPU is higher then E* along with their credit requirements. So it might just be another way for D* to get the customer base that they want, some that's willing to spend the money to get what they want.

IIRC, once you get past a certain number of tuners E* doesn't give you 'free' HD DVR's you need to buy then, I see DishStore has 722's for $459. D* is consistant at $199 for their HD DVR.

Your ongoing expense with D* for the hardware would be a bit cheaper, $4.99 for the lease fee per box after the 1st and only one DVR fee vs. two for your two 722's.

They do need to lower their prices to compete with Fios.

FIOS prices

FiOS TV Premier
$47.99/month
HBO & Movies
$25.00/month doesn't include Cinemax
Cinemax
$11.99/month
Sports
$7.99/month

Standard Definition Set Top Box
$5.99/month

High Definition HD
Box
$9.99/month

Standard Definition
Digital Video Recorder (DVR)
$12.99/month

High Definition
$15.99/month

Standard Definition
Multi-Room DVR
$17.99/month

High Definition
Multi-Room DVR
$19.99/month

Digital Adapter
$3.99/month

https://www22.verizon.com/content/fiostv/packages+and+prices/packages+and+prices.htm

Yup it's really cheaper than Directv.

I totally agree with garn9173. I never had a provider, cable, D*, or PrimeStar play games with programming the way E* does. I too thought I could save some money with E*, but then came the price increases, all the add in charges, and they weren't any cheaper at all. I escaped them as soon as I could and went back to D*. As others have said, E* markets to budget conscious consumers while D* uses a much different business model than E*. They want long term credit worthy subs. Those are the ones that won't be chased off by up front costs and use "advanced services" which account for almost half of D*'s subs now according to their latest financial reports. Their position on this isn't going to change and in the long run your costs with D* will be about the same as E*. The big difference is you'll have the channels you want.

D* is known for going after customers that are willing to buy higher priced packages, their ARPU is higher then E* along with their credit requirements. So it might just be another way for D* to get the customer base that they want, some that's willing to spend the money to get what they want.

IIRC, once you get past a certain number of tuners E* doesn't give you 'free' HD DVR's you need to buy then, I see DishStore has 722's for $459. D* is consistant at $199 for their HD DVR.

Your ongoing expense with D* for the hardware would be a bit cheaper, $4.99 for the lease fee per box after the 1st and only one DVR fee vs. two for your two 722's.

Dishstore $459.00 price you own it. And can resell it down the road. Can't with DTV

FIOS prices

FiOS TV Premier
$47.99/month
HBO & Movies
$25.00/month doesn't include Cinemax
Cinemax
$11.99/month
Sports
$7.99/month

Standard Definition Set Top Box
$5.99/month

High Definition HD
Box
$9.99/month

Standard Definition
$12.99/month

High Definition
$15.99/month

Standard Definition
Multi-Room DVR
$17.99/month

High Definition
Multi-Room DVR
$19.99/month

Digital Adapter
$3.99/month

https://www22.verizon.com/content/fiostv/packages+and+prices/packages+and+prices.htm

Yup it's really cheaper than Directv.

Actually it is. However, the big difference is when you when also have other services from verizon, which most people do anyway. You can get phone, hdtv, and internet for not much more than what many people are paying for directv alone right now.

I have beat those bundled prices as well!

The ONLY thing FiOS offers that I would want is the 15mbps net speed vs my current of 8mbps; but I WILL NOT give up everything else I get on my own and with DirecTV JUST for the increase in net speed.

Trust me i'm no troll right now i have Dish but with the recent issues with amc14 i might want to switch over to DTV. With Dish i have 2 vip722 dual tuner dvrs and a vip 211 receiver total out of pocket expense was $50.00 and 18 month contract. My monthly programming is a $49.99 dvr advantage $10.00 hd essential $7.00 lease fee each receiver and $5.98 dvr fee.

I also have the option of either Comcast or Fios. Just checking my options.

As of right now I still think that this is a trolling attempt. You were asked at the start of the thread what equipment was included in the pricing and you have never stated that yet. It is hard to say that something is expensive when you don't even know what they are paying for.

I just find it crazy DTV wants me to spend $396.00 to lease my equipment. I understand thay have more HD But damn thats alot of money. And when you factor in 2ys contract WOW.
You also pay upfront cost when you lease a car as well.

ETA: What packages are you looking at? What I have, Total Choice Plus, DVR service, HD service, 1 extra receiver, is about the same price as Dish and Fios. I also have MLB EI (Dish does not have this package and Fios does not have it in HD).

As of right now I still think that this is a trolling attempt. You were asked at the start of the thread what equipment was included in the pricing and you have never stated that yet. It is hard to say that something is expensive when you don't even know what they are paying for.
I don't care what he says Dishnetwork is not going to only charge $50 for 2 -722 and 1 211. NO WAY! 5 tuners to I might add ,which is over the rule of 4. I want to see his bill of sale! NOW!

Actually it is. However, the big difference is when you when also have other services from verizon, which most people do anyway. You can get phone, hdtv, and internet for not much more than what many people are paying for directv alone right now.

I don't. Just internet.
I have VOIP for phone. FIOS for internet and D* for tv. Cheaper than 100 % percent verizon.

I don't. Just internet.
I have VOIP for phone. FIOS for internet and D* for tv. Cheaper than 100 % percent verizon.

I am fairly certain if you get their bundled internet and tv package you would save more money, you don't have to get all 3.

I am fairly certain if you get their bundled internet and tv package you would save more money, you don't have to get all 3.

nope. I have too many Dvr's.

Bundling is great for people who want basic stuff. Once you add to the bundle your price changes dramatically.

give it a break same as i have with dish 2 dual tuner dvr hd and a stand alone hd receiver.
Trust me i have not trolling i never post in DTV area i had DTV 1x time in my life back wehn they had ussb.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts