Why is Direct Tv so expensive ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
......but not a service issue, take that up with the program providers right?

But I am paying D* to provide me with these channels. So it is accurate to say that there are too many commercials on D* isn't it?

But I am paying D* to provide me with these channels. So it is accurate to say that there are too many commercials on D* isn't it?

There are no more commercials on Directv than any other provider. Kind of a lame argument.

No, not all all!

If a channel, say USA Network, runs 7 commercials in the allotted ad window for a 30min program block, that same ad time window will be on each and every DBS & cable provider. So to post comments on commercial time to/on any provider is in the wrong forum. It is a discussion/complaint to be directed at the programmer themselves as the DBS and cable companies do not have any control over this so it is the PROGRAM PROVIDER that has too many commercials, not DirecTV, or Dish or Charter, etc.

Again this quaestion is stupid. Complain all you want about pricing but in all honesty they are all expensive. Cable Fios E AND D Are all over priced. But the days of free tv are gone so deal with it. I love D over E i had both and to me no comparison. So i pay for waht i want. As far as contracts go they are dumb but how many of you have them with cell phones dls service ect ect. Eveyone has a cell phone these days so except for prepaid phones they all have contracys. It is a way of life now. Hell i even pay for radio with xm i love it but would have never thought about paying for radio. Bottom line is if you want it they can charge what they want if you dont want it dont buy it.

Not again with a la carte, a la carte is a great concept, but by itself it has many failures that can lead to viewers losing some programming as well. It is NOT the end-all solution to your bill past the short term; long term it would be a likely disaster..

Not again with a la carte, a la carte is a great concept, but by itself it has many failures that can lead to viewers losing some programming as well. It is NOT the end-all solution to your bill past the short term; long term it would be a likely disaster..

I think you've been testing too much of your bourbon. The ONLY reason a-la-cart isnt around anymore is because the providers weren't making enough $$$. Plan and simple. Thats why packages are the only option today. So we can enjoy watching maybe 20% of those channels. :(

I think you've been testing too much of your bourbon. The ONLY reason a-la-cart isnt around anymore is because the providers weren't making enough $$$. Plan and simple. Thats why packages are the only option today. So we can enjoy watching maybe 20% of those channels. :(

Well to be honest , if you did not have the info channels and odd channels that most don't watch, you would not have the good ones that you do watch.
Reason being ,most of these channels that you do NOT watch are own by a network that has channels that you DO want to watch and as a bargianing tool they require that the provider has so and so channel in the line up in order for them to get the ones that they really want.

Also, without commercials you would not be able to pay the bills and would not have many shows to watch.

As for your Ala Carte suggestion .... IF you had alcarte, many of your popular channels would be outragous to purchase

Jimbo

Exactly Jimbo!

The costs per channel would sky-rocket for those that would survive and you would be paying near the same or maybe a bit less on your monthly bill than you do now BUT with far fewer channels. Remember what you say is an unneeded channel is another users must have channel.

We would also likely lose specialty packages such as NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL and the like because the companies would not be able to afford the costs the program providers need to cover all coast PLUS make any profit, so they would die out. Any new satellites would be few and far between, any exclusive music or other shows/channels and stuff like R&D and VoD would likely fall by the wayside as well.

All these things COST MONEY that a la carte would NEVER be able to supply. A la carte is a very small box, small-minded setup that while sounding great on the front side can have consequences on the back side. The people that ONLY watch 5 - 15 of the exact same channels and their locals and NEVER do PPV, VoD, sports, etc, don't care to see this because it will not effect then UNTIL the money bottoms out to the point where the per channel costs begin to creep up. Which could take more than a year or three. But it would happen.

ok time to get silly here. Who has the nicest package. Directv Dish or Vios. I mean does anyone say man thats a nice package lol :) Hey Charper want to spread some of that Bourbon around for this thread.

All the packages are pretty damn close to me.

1. If you want sports with your HD and TV package - DirecTV

2. If you don't - Dish, FiOS, cable, DirecTV (can't go wrong)

3. If you don't want a dish or can't have one, get cable or FiOS, whatever is in your area.

4. Everyone's needs and situations are different so there CAN'T be any one that is more than 2% better or worse than the other across the board, it really is a silly argument..

Just choose what's best for your needs and you will be good.

I agree the prices for programing are about the same. It's the upfront cost of equipment from D that turns people off but 12*12= 144 bucks. That more than a R15 after one year. 16 X12 is 200 bucks a year for a HDDVR. That is 400 dollars after 2 years. It's all the same once you add it up.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts