Why is Dish shutting down the 721?

Just got off the phone after 40 minutes of negotiation for my 2 -721's. They initially offered 2 leased 522's with DVR fees waived (they said the 522's would be grandfathered even if I was not on AEP). I kept pushing for owned recevers, but they wouldn't budge. So I took a different approach and tried to get 622's or 722's, ended up getting 2 leased 722's for a grand total one time of $50 with self install. Didn't get the DVR fees waived for the 722's, but I'm on AEP so it didn't matter. Went to auto confirmation and got a blurb saying I was signed up on a 24 month contract, dropped out of that back to another rep and he entered an exception code to be able to give me an early out without penalty if I chose to. All in all pretty pleased with the exception of not having owned for owned receivers. So now I have 2 owned 622's along with 2 leased 722's. Let's see if anyone can get do this one better and get owned for owned...Funny, they claimed the 721's would not work after 9/17, but then said my new 722's would show up in 7-10 days, they proceeded to change their tune to getting my 722's in 3-5 days. The 9/17 date must be FUD...who knows...

Funny, they claimed the 721's would not work after 9/17, but then said my new 722's would show up in 7-10 days, they proceeded to change their tune to getting my 722's in 3-5 days. The 9/17 date must be FUD...who knows...

More confusion with the 921/942/811 swap. The 921/942/811 will not work on HD channels after 9/17.

The thing is, Dish Network is making that 721 useless. It is their fault, as I told them on the phone, due to the Tivo Patent infringement, as to why they are trying to force a leased receiver down my throat in exchange for my owned receiver.

BUT, they are not charging you for the leased receiver. Owning your own 721 apparently will entitle you to a free "loan" of a 522 and no DVR fee on the 522. View the 522 as a smartcard for your 721...

BUT, they are not charging you for the leased receiver. Owning your own 721 apparently will entitle you to a free "loan" of a 522 and no DVR fee on the 522. View the 522 as a smartcard for your 721...

Sorry I can only view it that way if they painted it silver and made the UI Green or just gave me a option to have a green UI.

so..when does the 7200's stop working

So, if the 721's stop working on 11/1 or 11/3...when do the 7200's stop working?

If I have to do an upgrade soon because of a drop-dead date, what should I push for? I don't want to lose any capability and I don't want to pay any more fees (no pvr fee etc).
thoughts?
thanks.

So, if the 721's stop working on 11/1 or 11/3...when do the 7200's stop working?

If I have to do an upgrade soon because of a drop-dead date, what should I push for? I don't want to lose any capability and I don't want to pay any more fees (no pvr fee etc).
thoughts?
thanks.
Well so far the only way to get a no increase or out of pocket is to go with the 522. But like I said I'm not worried right this second and will just wait it out. Dish is not very good and doing thing by a certain date any ways and if it does go dark on Nov. 01 then I will decide on something. The 721 has just been mostly a rock solid receiver (except for some of the bugs caused by software updates) to part ways :(.

This probably wouldn't be a good time to ask them about name-based recording upgrade for the 721. Unless it might help in negotiations.

Scott

Well so far the only way to get a no increase or out of pocket is to go with the 522. But like I said I'm not worried right this second and will just wait it out. Dish is not very good and doing thing by a certain date any ways and if it does go dark on Nov. 01 then I will decide on something. The 721 has just been mostly a rock solid receiver (except for some of the bugs caused by software updates) to part ways :(.

The 522 has had most of its bugs worked out these days too... Hard Drives can go bad... but that happened with 721's too.... quite often actually... if yours never did, consider yourself lucky.

522's are much quieter than that beast too.... I was at someone's house the other day that had his 721 installed into his coat closet behind his TV and entertainment center because he couldn't stand the constant turbine engine sounding fans on the beast.

The 522 has had most of its bugs worked out these days too... Hard Drives can go bad... but that happened with 721's too.... quite often actually... if yours never did, consider yourself lucky.

522's are much quieter than that beast too.... I was at someone's house the other day that had his 721 installed into his coat closet behind his TV and entertainment center because he couldn't stand the constant turbine engine sounding fans on the beast.
Well I have read alot of complaints from people on different receivers and I've been lucky (knock on wood) so far with all of my equipment :). As for the 721, its in my bedroom and I haven't had a noisey anything from it to keep me awake at night. Yes it does have some noise but the fan on my computer is louder.

The 721 does not need to be hooked to a phone line, 522/625s do

Well not entirely true - they do not NEED to be hooked to a phone to operate normally, but you WILL be charged $5 if you do so.
Unfortunately, since I do NOT have a phone hooked on my 721 now, if they do NOT waive the phone fee, I will NOT be taking one of the 522's.

People that are happy with their 721 and have never had any problems with it- consider yourselves lucky. In fact, the 721 has been trouble-prone. HDD and power supply failures. Maybe you should look on this as an opportunity to get a newer, more reliable model before your 721 dies and is worthless. Dish has been sending out 522s, WITH DVR FEE, to replace dead 721s.

What a cool idea.

But couldn't you do that with a composit input on your TV?
Yeah, that is what I ended up doing. But it was more seemless and more integrated when it was just ch0. I even came accross a bug once in a while where I could get Ch0 to appear in the little PIP window. Now that was cool.

I had the Video Camera hooked up to one of the extra video inputs of my A/V receiver. The only problem was that since the camera is analog and wireless, under certain circumstances, the signal gets a little static-y. When the signal isn't 100% solid, the A/V receiver's Video Mute would kick in and block out the camera all together. I went over the manual many times, and I could not find a way to disable the video mute on it.

Yeah, and they will want the 522 back if I want to deactivate the receiver or if I cancel Dish Network after I paid for the 721. That is not right. Dish Network is the one that infringed the Tivo Patent, not me or anyone else that has a 721. They should be sending out an OWNED receiver, not a leased one, or at least offer a better DVR such as an HD DVR if you have to lease it instead of own it. Either that or give some credits on programming.

I think this is rediculous that Dish Network thinks they can do what they want, infringing Tivo's patent then forcing the customers to upgrade to a leased receiver to still have a functional DVR. This is insane.

Personally I think this is nuts. They couldnt of waited till the mpeg 4 switch over?

All the remaining HD channels will switch over to MPEG4 on September 17.

The SD channels won't switch over to MPEG4 for 3-4 years (at the point that the FCC requires all of Dish's HD markets to provide all HD locals in HD).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)